I will be purchasing a new game computer in the near future. On my old pc, deadfire loading times were horrible.

How much will loading times improve under:

-> 960 GB SATA SSD

-> 512 GB SSD M2.0 / NVMe (additional 90 euro costprice)

Other specs of new pc will be:

-> Motherboard: ASRock A520M Phantom Gaming 4
-> Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800 (8 cores @ 3.9-4.5 GHz)
-> Memory: 16 GB RAM (2666 MHz)
-> Video Card: Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB

Nice looking system! If your old PC had a spinning hard drive, the loading times will be much faster with either SSD (not to mention your new processor and memory). The loading times will be a little faster with the NVMe drive. If its a decent model, I'd pick the SATA drive for double the capacity.

• Thanks 1

@Helz

Thanks for the feedback!!! My old computer dates from 2013 and indeed has a HDD.

If you yourself are featuring a SSD setup, can you tell me what loading times are on average for Deadfire in the beginning and near the end of the game? Because this is what caused me to stop playing it in 2018. I helped kickstarting it but never finished the game and I hope with the new system I can finally enjoy this RPG!

Edited by Morrydwen

1 hour ago, Morrydwen said:

If you yourself are featuring a SSD setup, can you tell me what loading times are on average for Deadfire in the beginning and near the end of the game?

Yes, I play on an older system with an SSD and the load times aren't bad. The longest one is at startup, which is about 30 seconds to get to the start screen. Loading a save is 10-15 seconds. Loading an area in-game is less than 10 seconds. It only gets a little annoying when I need to enter/exit a location several times in a row.

51 minutes ago, msyoung said:

You managed to get an Invidia 3060? I'm impressed. Ividia 30 series cards are very hard to find. I just upgraded my wife's gaming computer and the best I could get is a 2060.

Yeah, supply is supposedly improving, but we'll see. It was time for me to upgrade a year ago, but my GPU is still limping along.

9 hours ago, msyoung said:

You managed to get an Invidia 3060? I'm impressed. Ividia 30 series cards are very hard to find. I just upgraded my wife's gaming computer and the best I could get is a 2060.

I am not building the computer myself. The 3060 card is part of a pc setup that is sold by a dutch computer shop. The setup has a pretty nice discount in price and is customizable to a certain degree.

8 hours ago, Helz said:

Yes, I play on an older system with an SSD and the load times aren't bad. The longest one is at startup, which is about 30 seconds to get to the start screen. Loading a save is 10-15 seconds. Loading an area in-game is less than 10 seconds. It only gets a little annoying when I need to enter/exit a location several times in a row.

At least this will be a huge improvement for me. It can take up to a minute to start up the game and I can experience loading times around 40 seconds for loading ingame areas with my hdd.

After some more research, I will opt for the 960 GB SATA SSD as the other one does not improve loading times that much. The advantage is writing files to the drive but 500 MB/seconds with SATA is more than enough.

Wow... I have an SSD and I'd say the absolute max I have to wait are 10 secs. I'd even be bold and say 5 seconds but I want to have some wiggle room. ;)

By the way: I found it helps to sell stash items that you won't use regularly. A full stash means a lot more game objects have to get loaded into the scene (I guess). 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

7 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Wow... I have an SSD and I'd say the absolute max I have to wait are 10 secs. I'd even be bold and say 5 seconds but I want to have some wiggle room. ;)

By the way: I found it helps to sell stash items that you won't use regularly. A full stash means a lot more game objects have to get loaded into the scene (I guess). 

Would love such loading times; makes the user experience that much better!

1 hour ago, Elric Galad said:

Changed my PC for a SSD one recently. And oh boy, that's a totally new experience for PoE2 !

Fingers crossed!