I have over 1300 hours, mostly upscaled PotD and have only really used empowered attacks two or three times. It always seemed like a waste of an empower point - I can make one attack slightly better than normal - if it hits, or get aload of resource points back which can be used for multiple special attacks/spells. Not empowering also saves on having to spend talent points on those empower passives and level 8 (or whatever level they are).

The only empowerd attack that i ever did that felt worthwhile and didn't feel like I just wasted an empower point was as a fury druid. I killed the leader of the vampires in splintered reef pretty much with one empowered malestrom spell whilst wielding the Volge and wearing the electricity armour - I have to admit that was pretty impressive. Most of the time though I never use empowered attacks.

So to those that do, what/how do you use them? What talents do you take on level up? The empower ones? Do you use empowered attacks just with specific attacks? Why do you prefer that to getting loads of resource points back? 

Edited by ArnoldRimmer
  • Like 2

Besides the Sasha's Singing Scimitar Chanter who can empower "for free" and doesn't need empower points for resource refill I use it frequently with wizards, priests and druids. But I play wizards more so most of times wizard. I will spend some points on empower abilities, too. Mostly I will empower the PL8- or 9 stuff. If you use The Least Unstable Coil then empowering an ability such as Minoletta's Missile Barrage, Meteor Shower, Great Mealstrom, Avenging Storm, Sigil of <god> Rain of Holy Fire will give you all tier-3 inspirations, including Brilliant. That's worth an empower point imo. Also the Weyc's stuff. 

Another time I used a Xoti Monk with Empowered Strikes and Inner Death since that makes sure you actually land a crit. With Xoti's Inner Death isn't so inferior to Whispers of the Wind because WotW costs more Wounds - but Inner Death does not cost more Mortification. And with the Lantern you even get back +1 Mortification per kill (and +3 wounds if you are using Community Patch which turns Inner Death from a "spell" that doesn't work with Turning Wheel, Enervating Blows, Swift Flurry and Xoit's Wound mechanic into a melee weapon ability which then works with that stuff).   

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

39 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Another time I used a Xoti Monk with Empowered Strikes and Inner Death since that makes sure you actually land a crit. With Xoti's Inner Death isn't so inferior to Whispers of the Wind because WotW costs more Wounds - but Inner Death does not cost more Mortification. And with the Lantern you even get back +1 Mortification per kill (and +3 wounds if you are using Community Patch which turns Inner Death from a "spell" that doesn't work with Turning Wheel, Enervating Blows, Swift Flurry and Xoit's Wound mechanic into a melee weapon ability which then works with that stuff).   

I think Sister of The Reaping Moon passive works will all kills, not only weapon ones.

I think @theleestated it on his Gamefaq

The Lanter's refund does and her Sickle's dmg bonus also doesn't care how an enemy died - but the +3 wounds she only gets from melee weapon kills. At least that was the case. Don't think that was changed but mayb it was. I found out rel. early because I wanted to get +3 wounds from using Blessed Harvest (Priest/Monk) but it doesn't work. Also Inner Death kills didn't give Xoti wounds without CP iirc. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Chiming in with the only-with-that-scimitar crew. Although late in a playthrough I put this shield on that same chanter to get even more oomph out of empowering every fight.

If I didn't constantly play No Rest I would probably empower way more.

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

On 7/7/2021 at 11:56 PM, ArnoldRimmer said:

I have over 1300 hours, mostly upscaled PotD and have only really used empowered attacks two or three times. It always seemed like a waste of an empower point - I can make one attack slightly better than normal - if it hits, or get aload of resource points back which can be used for multiple special attacks/spells.

early on I agree with you, but later on I feel like one generally has enough ability points or spells and action economy is more of a thing that empowering an ability/spell starts making more sense. Accurate Empower goes a long way into making empowering an ability/spell really worth it.

On 7/7/2021 at 11:56 PM, ArnoldRimmer said:

So to those that do, what/how do you use them? What talents do you take on level up? The empower ones? Do you use empowered attacks just with specific attacks? Why do you prefer that to getting loads of resource points back? 

As alluded above, I pick up Acc Empower on most characters that can when they're high enough level. There are some exceptions - for example a martial multiclass barbarians I may not have anything worth empowering (oh yay a longer frenzy...).

After that it depends on the class. Single-class damage dealers get penetrating empower, then potent empower. Single-class misc classes get lasting empower, and then maybe the other two if needed.

The only specific "rule" I have about empowering is sasha's, like others have said, but also least unstable coil + the right caster, and weyc's equipment. Other than that, I just suggest that even on upscaled PotD you don't really need all those spells - a properly empowered high-level spell will obviate the need for more spells because you'll be doing so much more extra that the fight will be over much sooner. E.G. one cast of a fully-upgraded empowered missile salvo will be enough to kill most FS bosses on its own.

I'd also suggest that empowering an ability is much more useful for a chanter because getting half your resources back is rarely ever nearly as good when you're automatically generating them. (Somewhat true as well for monk and cipher) 

it's a little tougher with martial classes because they are more constrained. i may also have specific uses that i'd rather have the efficiency of more ability points than making one ability use more powerful - for example, mc fighters or mc/sc rangers i use are typically interrupt machines [mule kick or concussive/tranq shot] so i'd much rather just keep interrupting than make one interrupt slightly better. but otherwise i wouldn't underestimate how effective e.g. an empowered dazing shout, empowered inspired strike, empowered tier 9 paladins [properly geared] can be.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1