suggestion for the GAME!

i  hope this game is more like a fantasy open world rpg with a bit of realism too ...
when it comes to sword  fight , please dont use too much fantasy blurs in the sword, or lights that arent real, use it for magic weapons, ok!
when you fire a bow, please dont put any lights or fantasy things to the image.... put something realistic... immersive. 
like skyrim! when the weapons are not enchanted yet!! we want to feel inside the game! the sound, the block system, physics and everything else! the first person thing is amazing! please pay attention to the way the player moves, the way it shakes, the sprint, crouch, throw yourself to the ground and attack... this freedom is welcome! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, ComradeYellow said:

I'd say something like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic + Skyrim but with a far more intelligent leveling system would hit the nail on the head.

Agree, I would say make this game intuitive and fun. There's a ton of RPG elements in POE 1 &2 that might not translate well into FPS so do what makes sense with what you guys are building and make it feel cool. Experiment and brainstorm new stuff, get some focus groups and cross compare and get ideas for what is truly the best if you have to haha.I think you all can make a much cooler competitor to skyrim. Honestly, Skyrim felt a little shallow to me, even though people absolutely adore it, I think Avowed can really go far and beyond Skyrim! 

Just don't pull a CD Project Red and release a mismanaged hunk of junk and don't overpromise. Most importantly make sure you all take your time and have fun making it! Doing so will show in the final product.

Proper business acumen says fans(including new fans, old and young) will reward you in spades if you give them something fun and memorable for years to come!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 8:05 PM, ccellowws said:

i  hope this game is more like a fantasy open world rpg with a bit of realism too ...
when it comes to sword  fight , please dont use too much fantasy blurs in the sword, or lights that arent real, use it for magic weapons, ok!
when you fire a bow, please dont put any lights or fantasy things to the image.... put something realistic... immersive. 
like skyrim! when the weapons are not enchanted yet!! we want to feel inside the game! the sound, the block system, physics and everything else! the first person thing is amazing! please pay attention to the way the player moves, the way it shakes, the sprint, crouch, throw yourself to the ground and attack... this freedom is welcome! 

I agree with the sentiment of this. Really make the player feel it when a sword get a solid strike on a shield, but don't make it take away from the flow of combat. Make different sounds for when an arrow hits different materials(Plate armor, mail armor, flesh and fabric) and when things hit at different angles. Sounds contribute to game feel just as much as impacts and the velocity of weapon swings. Make those sounds and impacts go both ways(except maybe make us feel it a little more as the badass player character).

You can have fun with these concept lore wise too. Different cultures are going to have different weapons, armors, spells, auras, city designs thus they might need their own sounds. When we think phyiscs there are certain rules that determine things like thermodynamics etc. So how does sound work different with regard to spells and cultures? Fire, ice, wind, necromancy, cipher mind juju might be consistent elements but how a culture summons those elements will be drastically different. Just like how armor isn't the same spells shouldn't be conjured the same way either. I think that's what will make this cooler then skyrim, the lore is baked into the game, and the game feel(things mentioned and not mentioned above) should intuitively follow that.

Level design is also something that'll contribute to the success of this title. Going from small to medium to large scale is another thing that needs to be taken into account. Does a taller more vertical map lend itself more to the players abilities or does a more compact but gauntlet-esk environment work? Can you fit in both? I don't know what will come first, skill development or level design, but the two should be built with each other in mind. This is where experimentation will come into play big time because you want the feel of the combat to match the layout of the level but still capture that specific cultures built spaces. I think good level design often goes overlooked, but has a huge impact on funness. Wish i had more to say about this!

Edited by Katakinetic
Adding in level design thoughts
  • Like 1