Random Video gamE newS

https://www.nomanssky.com/frontiers-update/?cli_action=1630685513.384

Settlements are finally a thing in No Man's Sky. I'll give it another go. There is so much I like about the game, but it does feel like it lacks life. Hopefully this will help.

They still need a personality system for NPC's I think. Something like the Nemesis system in Middle Earth: Shaodw of War would be interesting.

edit: Reading deeper, it does look like they are implementing more personality. They have disputes and thought bubbles.

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Crazy that No Man's Sky was able to get out of the crap it started in. Usually games with such a release are dead in the water and will never recover.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 9/1/2021 at 3:55 PM, Zoraptor said:

They have a new developer working on the game, and they also did a new (free) tourism update a few months ago.

(I've only played Surviving Mars with the existing dlc, but it must have been the biggest drag of a game in the the mid -> late game without Green Planet, and it will still benefit a lot from some more fleshing out)

Yeah I've played with the free DLC. It's ok. Adds a little more value to the game. :)

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

What sins of Paradox were all her fault ?

Too many external flops, too many dlcs, too many bad and unstable dlcs. I mean how could you approve and see Stalin vs Martians or Ship Simulator Extreme through to the end?

Fake edit: whoops I accidentally wrote down the problems with Fred Wester instead. The problems with Ubba L were no doubt completely different, like her having a background in phone apps; as well as overseeing too much dlc, too much bad and unstable dlc, and too many external flops.

• Haha 2

Finally being able to reorder the research queue is nice.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing that game made me say, "Man they should make a Wing Commander movie!".  Then they made one.

• Haha 10
  • Sad 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Liberal use of Inception BWOMMMMMM sound - ✅

Excessive reflective surfaces so that you know it's "next gen" - ✅

Live service microtransactions shenanigans - Probably

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, it's a looter shooter so that means you will be getting tons of guns. Now, most of the guns will be just alright, but then there will be shiny guns and really shiny guns and really really shiny guns. You want the really really shiny guns, obviously, but the chance to get the really really shiny guns is astronomically small... That is unless you give them money, then you have a somewhat better chance to get the really really shiny guns. You'll probably have to give them money a whole bunch of times and/or grind in the game for 300 hours to get the really really shiny gun you want, but once you have the really really shiny gun, heh, well then... Then... Then you have the really really shiny gun and you are super awesome, or something (Giga Chad? is that what the young uns call it these days?). That is until they release a content update with a new area and a NEW really really shiny gun, it is oh so shiny. I lack the vocabulary to fully explain just how shiny this new gun is. Then the cycle begins anew.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I am looking through my discovery queue instead of getting work done, and I have to wonder, why did nobody post here last month that Boyfriend Dungeon was released on Steam?

The store description:

Date your weapons! Romance swords, daggers, and polearms to level them up in this “shack-and-slash” dungeon crawling adventure.

I feel this forum is really not keeping up with gaming news.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

3 minutes ago, melkathi said:

why did nobody post here last month that Boyfriend Dungeon was released on Steam?

My brain just filters anything remotely remoted to dating. It reminds me how empty and meaningless my life is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I am looking through my discovery queue instead of getting work done, and I have to wonder, why did nobody post here last month that Boyfriend Dungeon was released on Steam?

The store description:

Date your weapons! Romance swords, daggers, and polearms to level them up in this “shack-and-slash” dungeon crawling adventure.

I have failed you, Melky. Instead of making cynical posts about another soulless looter shooter I should have been posting about games that matter. 

/self-flagellates

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Speaking of games that matter, Encased reviews are starting to pop up:

https://techraptor.net/gaming/reviews/encased-review

Review Summary
Encased is a strategy RPG with lots of depth and options that suffers from stiffness and imbalanced gameplay
Pros
An Immersive and Vast World Full of Mystery
In-depth Character Background and Lore to Influence Gameplay
Freedom to Approach Various Scenarios in Multiple Ways
Cons
Unnatural and Stiff-Looking Models and Animations
A Burden of Text and Dialogue to Go Through
A Simple and Somewhat OP Stealth Mechanic

https://pledgetimes.com/encased-review/

On the bright side, Encased balances this shortcoming with solid narrative and really interesting gameplay, making it a title that deserves your time and attention.

7 / 10

https://thekoalition.com/2021/encased-review-under-the-dome-and-in-my-heart

Encased is a fantastic game and I truly can not wait to finish this playthrough to start over again to see what different options I get. I am already taking notes on what stats to choose to go down different paths. I think I will be a strong Black Wing military man with no brains. Encased is available on Steam for PC now in Early Access for $29.99. I will state again if you loved the original Fallout and Fallout 2 and you’re also into Wasteland 2 or 3, then this is a must-have game. I hope to see more people in The Dome, or at least the outskirts of it.

I'm probably picking it up tomorrow. I'll post some thoughts if I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I have failed you, Melky. Instead of making cynical posts about another soulless looter shooter I should have been posting about games that matter. 

/self-flagellates

No hard feelings. And as proof, I will tell you that Road 96 was also in my discovery queue, which could be more to your liking.

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

4 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Im not convinced by these allegations, I definitely dont see it in the same way as the Blizzard scandal

Paradox is a Swedish company....come on. We all know Sweden wrote the book on " correct SJW behavior " 

So we dont know the type of discrimination that was being demonstrated, for example even in the article it says 33% of men complained about bad behavior so I am not saying its not true. I am just saying I  will wait for further accurate information before I pass judgement

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://www.alanwake.info/2021/09/remaster.html

This is for you.

I’m beyond happy to tell you that at the time of writing this, Alan Wake Remastered is nearing its completion. Confirmed, announced, coming up in partnership with Epic Games Publishing. Multiplatform. PC on the Epic Games Store, Xbox, and for the first time ever, PlayStation, this generation and the previous one. 

This is for you. Alan Wake came out over 11 years ago, and through that time, you have told us again and again how much you love the game, the story, the characters, and the lore. And that matters a lot to us. We love this game as well. I love this game. The remaster is coming because of your support for Alan Wake through the years. That is why we felt it was fitting to make this announcement here, at The Sudden Stop, which has been an integral part of the Remedy community since back in 2012, when it started out as an Alan Wake fansite. The Remedy community wouldn't be what it is today without The Sudden Stop, and we wanted to show our gratitude by telling you about Alan Wake Remastered right here. So thank you, Rachel, and everyone else, for supporting Remedy and our games through all these years.

Early on in the game Alan Wake says, “In a horror story the victim keeps asking why – but there can be no explanation, and there shouldn’t be one, the unanswered mystery is what stays with us the longest, and it’s what we remember in the end.” This is an idea close to my heart. Stories that make me think excite me, stories where everything is not freely handed out to me or wrapped up neatly, where I am left with a mystery. Mysteries are magical to me, they hold a promise, and I am often happier with that than a final answer. This is what we as a team, and I as the lead writer of Alan Wake, set out to create for you a long time ago.

This story and character were personal in many ways. Alan Wake, being a writer himself, gave me an opportunity to use what I do and love as a writer as an element in the story. Alan Wake also contained the mystery of forests and lakes, which are precious to me as a Finn. And, instead of a focused one-note horror fare, it was this strange, even wasteful mix of horror, humor and supernatural mystery. I also love it because it turned out to be a very hard game to make, with many struggles along the way, and that makes me even prouder of what we achieved.

The original game was only available for Xbox 360 and a few years later, PC. We are thrilled about the opportunity to bring the remastered version out for a new generation of platforms. I am excited to hear what you think about Alan Wake.  

Alan Wake Remastered is the original experience you fell in love with all those years ago. We did not want to change that. But the visuals all around, including the character model of Alan Wake himself and the cinematics, have been updated and improved with some choice next-generation upgrades.

Alan Wake Remastered will launch this fall. Stay tuned for more information soon.

This is for you. I hope you enjoy it, either again, like meeting an old friend, or for the first time.

Yours,

Sam Lake, Creative Director, Remedy Entertainment

• Like 1

huh, IF I ever get that far that I have some kind of my company I am sure I am hiring only guys xD

• Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

25 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

huh, IF I ever get that far that I have some kind of my company I am sure I am hiring only guys xD

Could probably set that up in Afghanistan.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

And...... descrimination. 

Wormie thats the thing, their wont be any because their will only be men working....less stress and NO discrimination :teehee:

• Gasp! 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

32 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

And...... descrimination. 

Damned if one does and damned if one doesn't. I take my chances with discrimination rather than sexual misconduct accusations

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"