Random Video gamE newS

As much as I love Saints Row, and I do, this trailer left me feeling lukewarm on the reboot. :ermm:

On the bright side, the new city can't possibly be as dull as Steelport... I hope.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Sad 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

To say that I feel dissapointed is an understatement.

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I guess I can't expect much character development in a 3 3/4 minute trailer, but the old Saints, while schlongsure, each had different personalities. The Saints in this trailer all seem like the exact same smug *******. I've seen a lot of trailers lately where the protagonist(s) is a smug *******. Why is this a trend?

:shrugz:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They could've managed something atleast, but really, it just felt neutered, inoffensive.

I was secretly hoping to see Gat or any old face on a rooftop blowing them all up.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I didn't have much hope for a Saint's Row reboot when they're saying it'll be toned down- I mean, what's Saint's Row without the massively OTT, well, everything? A GTA clone, and not a particularly good one. There's a reason the SR nostalgia starts with the silly SR2, not the po faced 1.

32 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I guess I can't expect much character development in a 3 3/4 minute trailer, but the old Saints, while schlongsure, each had different personalities. The Saints in this trailer all seem like the exact same smug *******. I've seen a lot of trailers lately where the protagonist(s) is a smug *******. Why is this a trend?

Modern [video game] writers only know how to write themselves?

Slightly less facetious, and I'd stress that I haven't seen the video, but a lot of game writers seem to be obsessed with trying to write the next Firefly without having a scintilla of the writing talent of Joss Whedon or Tim Minear- so they end up writing people who are obnoxious knobs, instead of endearing obnoxious knobs, and the 'banter' feels incredibly forced.

I could also very easily imagine writers having to do 30 minute powerpoint presentations on their proposed characters and plot to run past PR and upper management...

• Like 1

It being an Epic exclusive is a bright spot, at least.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Really? I completely missed that, but then again I wasn't really interested in the end.

Anyway, good.

Epic deserves all the **** it can get :)

• Haha 1

Watched the trailer, not as bad as I expected to be honest. That 'banter' is 100% going to get very very old very very quickly though. Then again the only trailer I've unequivocally liked in the last past year or so was the Outer Worlds 2, for taking the mick out of all the other trailers I've watched that feel like they were extruded from plastic in some sort of generic CGI sweatshop where every smidge of imagination gets rewarded via cattle prod.

OTOH, Epic Exclusive --> entertainment from all the toys being tossed from cots.

• Like 1

Re: that Saints Row trailer - well, not that I'm a Saints Row person, and ofc, I can't judge a game from a trailer, but the trailer is certainly very generic feeling. Nothing that perks one's attention up noticeably at any rate.

But the shirtless guy is kind of cute, and he likes kitty-ear helmets so that's maybe a 👍   ...  :shifty:

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Geez, I must be getting jaded like you folks, because both the X-MenCom game and Saint's Row didn't really spark my interest either.

I don’t remember when CGI trailer sparkled my interest the last time. Also I don’t think those two were particularly good. X-Cmen was particularly awful. 

9 hours ago, Keyrock said:

You know, nowadays MC have to fill out many many many checkboxes to not offend anyone. No wonder all of them have same carbon copy of dull character 🤷‍♂️

• Sad 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I should say that I'm an old geezer and it's entirely possible, probable even, that I'm out of touch with what's popular these days. For all I know, smug *******s are popular with the young uns. :shrugz:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

SR3 was crap too, though.  😛

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't know what to make out of a trailer that does not include gameplay. But it sure looks cheesy(SR reboot)...

Man, I hate reboots. Why not make SR V or Agents of Mayhem 2?!

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I dunno, I didn't mind the trailer, other than my caveat that I think the southwest is overdone as a video game location.  I didn't think the character seemed too jerky.

But I think SR-IV really didn't leave them anywhere to go for an SR-V.  From what I understand, Agents of Mayhem wasn't very well received.  So I'm not against starting a new SR story somewhere else.  

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Is that boring chump in red scarf supposed to be our character? The game where you can make a big fat dude, give him green prom queen hair and a goatee and make him run around in Japanese schoolgirl outfit, and they pick "investment banker chic" look for the trailer? :down:

I'm all for a change of scenery for The Saints. Steelport was one of the dullest, most lifeless feeling settings ever. It's a testament to Volition's writing that they made SR3 work despite how piss poor the setting was. The shock value of how in your face and over the top that game was wouldn't have worked if it didn't have strong characters and witty dialogue. SR4 returned to Steelport and upped the ante with superpowers, which also didn't leave Volition anywhere to naturally take the series going forward.

I'm all for rebooting the series and taking it back down to Earth. The target hopefully is SR2 or maybe something between SR2 and SR3 in tone.

The trailer tries so hard to make the new Saints "cool" that they all come off like Poochie.

png-transparent-the-itchy-scratchy-pooch

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

14 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

OTOH, Epic Exclusive --> entertainment from all the toys being tossed from cots.

For now.  They're pretty much willing to work with literally anyone who agrees to their exclusivity deal.

However, plans are are in the works and Epic is securing several studios who are strictly under Epic so sometime hopefully in the near future, exclusivity will mean exclusivity, not this timed release crap from the cot tossers of yore.

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I should say that I'm an old geezer and it's entirely possible, probable even, that I'm out of touch with what's popular these days. For all I know, smug *******s are popular with the young uns. :shrugz:

My sister made me get tik-tok... and judging by the people on there, smug **** are indeed popular

• Gasp! 1

42 minutes ago, Katphood said:

Nevermind SR, look what I have for you, kids!

GOTY 2021

It's a Swery game; Swery games are my jam. They're every bit as weird and creative as Kojima games, but 80% less pretentious and 300% more jank. :lol:

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸