Random Video gamE newS

51 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Definitely a critical part of... something?

That is so random and hilarious, how did you think of it :grin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

28 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

That is so random and hilarious, how did you think of it :grin:

I've been a Monty Python fan since my teenage years. They used to show it on Danish TV (with subtitles).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There's a logo from the past.  Stealey seems loosely involved, so maybe not entirely a zombie

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Microprose? they are still kicking? I remember that logo vividly from transport tycoon i played religiously xD

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

19 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Microprose? they are still kicking? I remember that logo vividly from transport tycoon i played religiously xD

Yeah, publishing a decent number of games, didn't know they were publishing Ground Branch.  Stealey's involved, at least somewhat. 

Old interview : https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/06/how-microprose-returned-to-making-military-sim-games/amp/

They and LucasArts were my childhood, F-117A, F-19 and GS2k.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Microprose reminds me of the days when I used to go into a store and buy a game in a cardboard box off the shelf. Flip the box over and make sure it's the PC (MS-DOS) version and not Atari ST or something. Those were the days. 

In a related story, whatever happened to Broderbund?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Microprose reminds me of the days when I used to go into a store and buy a game in a cardboard box off the shelf. Flip the box over and make sure it's the PC (MS-DOS) version and not Atari ST or something. Those were the days. 

In a related story, whatever happened to Broderbund?

Fun days, although mostly it was me looking at games I could not run. Pining away for Strike Commander :lol:

Broderbund got passed around, most of their games ended up with Ubisoft. Although it seems they exist as a label (Mavis Beacon still going strong)

• Thanks 1

Not sure if ya'll noticed but the Quake copy you had on Steam which is collecting digital dust right now has turned into a beautiful remaster with 4K and mod support and you can even start playing Quake 64 right away.

Thank youuùuuuuu, Nightdive Studios!

• Thanks 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I know I keep repeating this but sometimes the truth needs to be repeated. Day 1 purchase for sure and I have decided since its being released before Xmas I am going to purchase this game as a present for myself and play it while I am on my end of year leave which I typically take from 20 December- 10 January :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

13 hours ago, Malcador said:

Fun days, although mostly it was me looking at games I could not run. Pining away for Strike Commander :lol:

Broderbund got passed around, most of their games ended up with Ubisoft. Although it seems they exist as a label (Mavis Beacon still going strong)

Ach, dammit. Broderbund was a big part of my early gaming history... 😢

Lode Runner - C64-Wiki

Edit: The ones I remember having on my shelf, even if I didn't buy them all on the year of release (courtesy of Wikipedia)

1982 Seafox
1983 Lode Runner
1983 Star Wars
1984 Karateka
1984 Raid on Bungeling Bay
1985 Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?

All of them good for umpteen hours of fun.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Damn, you are old   😛

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Damn, you are old   😛

We all are 😄

This one started to shaped my love for racing, when I was 9 😄 They were also acquired by some big company (Bridgestone Multimedia Group Global) for thieir IPs after they filled the bankrupcy :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

https://www.gog.com/game/highrise_city_demo

Early Access Demo, or something for this city builder. Looks like a modded C:S

Edited by Malcador

4 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

We all are 😄

This one started to shaped my love for racing, when I was 9 😄 They were also acquired by some big company (Bridgestone Multimedia Group Global) for thieir IPs after they filled the bankrupcy :(

That wakes up some early Comodore64 memories from when I was low single digits old. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

Yeah, that bit about signing up for a free skin, combined with it being 2k/Take Two makes me think it's going to be a hell of microtransactions.

Dunno if the 2k thing makes much of a difference as it'd fundamentally be a pretty expensive license that requires lots of money to be made somehow- and the non 2k Marvel Avengers is a microtransaction engine with attached gameplay*.

I'd expect Firaxis to at least make a better game out of it, but I can't see anything Marvel (excluding loss leaders, ie console launch titles) not being absolutely riddled with mtx.

*and in a cautionary tale, it's also one of if not the biggest bomb of the last few years. Should have made another Deus Ex instead of that garbage, eh Squeenix?

• Like 1

If they go back to SR2, I wouldn't think it too bad. 

That said, desert SW seems overdone as a video game local.

On a different note, that Square Enix Marvel game just looked bad. There was nothing in any of the presentations or footage I saw that made it appealing.

I'm intrigued by the Firaxis game even if it probably won't be the next FREEDOM FORCE. 😛

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Dunno if the 2k thing makes much of a difference as it'd fundamentally be a pretty expensive license that requires lots of money to be made somehow- and the non 2k Marvel Avengers is a microtransaction engine with attached gameplay*.

I just remember the head of Take Two (owner of 2k) saying several years ago how they needed to monetize/add more mtx to all of their games.  Given how 2k does mtx with their sports games, I just expect anything from them to be awful in terms of mtx.  XCOM 2 seemed to escape that, because how on earth would you do mtx in XCOM?

I'm expecting many, many DLC characters, and given that in the interview with Jake Solomon I just watched he mentioned something about the characters getting ultimate and legendary powers from their "unlockable outfits" (that apparently you can unlock at least some in game based on your relationship with the characters), I expect a ton of special outfits/powers as mtx.