(crosspost with POE1 forum, as related to both games) New player (old BG veteran though) looking for advice on PC class choice in regards to party comps. (PotD) and also in relation to being still viable in Deadfire

I haven't been past Defiance Bay yet, as I just can't make up my mind there. 

The classes I find the most interesting from a concept POV are the Druids, Ciphers (because mind readers) and Chanters. But still as a frontliner :)

Now, my most important questions are: 

Which of these 3 stays strong until late in both games while focusing on the more talkative stats (Res/Int/Per and maybe Mig)? From what I've read here, Chanters seem to be the best candidate for that, as I can ignore Dex and pump the other stats even more. 

On the other hand which of these 3 is the strongest for a constantly switching party composition? Because I want to see as much of the games as possible in one go, I would like to switch party members regularly.

As far as MCing goes, I would prefer it to be only between those 3, unless one combo with another class is just so far above these 3 xD

Edited by Fidero

On 6/26/2021 at 8:22 AM, Fidero said:

From what I've read here, Chanters seem to be the best candidate for that, as I can ignore Dex and pump the other stats even more. 

On the other hand which of these 3 is the strongest for a constantly switching party composition? Because I want to see as much of the games as possible in one go, I would like to switch party members regularly.

the answer to your first few questions are indeed, chanter, chanter. Troubadour if you want chanter on ez mode :)

On 6/26/2021 at 8:22 AM, Fidero said:

As far as MCing goes, I would prefer it to be only between those 3, unless one combo with another class is just so far above these 3 xD

i had an incredibly effective theurge (animist/skald) that is probably my favoritest multiclass i've done. i posted it in these forums, and also wrote it up here on gamefaqs (edit: here's the forum link which has a bit more discussion and explanation of how it comes together). i would also argue that compared to cipher or druid, chanters are uniquely positioned to excelling at single-classing - their top-end summons are bonkers, and upgraded el-nary is a huge DD spell against anyone not frost immune, and even the PEN invocation is situationally amazing. the tier 8/9 chants are also situationally good too. druids get maelstrom, but it can be a bit extremely same-y to spam that every fight (and i feel that druids suffer a bit too much like ciphers in lacking truly great set of tier 8/9 stuff; not that they're bad, but compared to the extra versatility and options you get from MC, a bit uninspiring).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2