Hello guys, here I am again, trying to build something different.

I want to go with a ranged, specifically an archer because archers are cool. But I didn’t wanted to go with the ranger. I love the ranger class, but I want something more different. So, this is my idea:

The armor-piercer archer

Berserker/Devoted with War Bow

The idea is to use all the bonus penetration from berserker and devoted plus the war bow modal. I considered use hunting bow for the speed, but without the Ranger high accuracy I rather the damage from war bow.

This is the build

Wood Elf - for RP, I find elves combine with good archers.

Atributes with Berath Blessing and Background 

MIG 20

CON 5

DEX 21

PER 22

INT 17

RES 5

I am developing yet, will try finally pass Neketaka with this char. Any ideas are welcome

Frenzy, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst work well enough to speed the shooting up though. Bloody Slaughter, Blooded etc. also work well enough. And for a ranged character the self damage might be more manageable. 

If the preferred war bow is Frostseeker I would pick a Helwalker instead of a Berserker though: Thunderous Blows will give you Tenacious/+2 PEN as well, dmg bonus from higher Might, you'll get a bigger AoE from Turning Wheel, higher Accuracy from Enduring Dance and also a good speedup (Lightning Strikes). 

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I totally forgot abou the monk.

I cleared the digsite now with the Brute, I enjoyed so far. I was worried about playing with a ranged could be boring, but I have much things to keep looking, buffs, positioning, and is being a good experience. 

5 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Frenzy, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst work well enough to speed the shooting up though. Bloody Slaughter, Blooded etc. also work well enough. And for a ranged character the self damage might be more manageable. 

If the preferred war bow is Frostseeker I would pick a Helwalker instead of a Berserker though: Thunderous Blows will give you Tenacious/+2 PEN as well, dmg bonus from higher Might, you'll get a bigger AoE from Turning Wheel, higher Accuracy from Enduring Dance and also a good speedup (Lightning Strikes). 

Frostseeker is also nice for its 3 rolls, independantly from its AoEs (which is nice for Rogues, by the way, but it is a bit Off-Topic)
3 rolls means 3 chances of getting a crit and refund Stunning Surge.

Also I haven't tested it but maybe the AoE can apply Stunning Surge. I wouldn't be surprised because I vaguely remember it works with Focus generation and is classified "weapon".

Getting Crit with a Fighter is quite easy given Tier 3 PER inspiration. Fighter Modal and Enduring Dance won't stack for accuracy though.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ravager would be fun. Since you'll get tenacious from the monk side, I'll recommend trying a Furyshaper/Helwalker. You can cast the speed ward normally, but cast the fear ward if the melee gets too close for comfort. And you can always switch to fists if necessary. Also, instead of bows, you might consider dual wielding mortars instead. Stunning surge with two mortars is crazy, and you'll almost always get your mortification back too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think better and I don’t want to change the devoted. Played the same time with the Monk, and at least in early levels I prefered the brute.

Now I will do one more test, Devoted/Sharpshooter. My idea with this one is to go with the Crossbow. Arbalests would be too slow? And about the problem that they only does pierce damage, will it be a problem later?

5 hours ago, freddfranca said:

I think better and I don’t want to change the devoted. Played the same time with the Monk, and at least in early levels I prefered the brute.

Now I will do one more test, Devoted/Sharpshooter. My idea with this one is to go with the Crossbow. Arbalests would be too slow? And about the problem that they only does pierce damage, will it be a problem later?

There are 2 problems with Crossbows : there are no real good unique one and pierce damages will indeed be a problem later. It's not even that much later, there are pierce immune foes as soon as Port Maje.

51 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

Anyway you can pick monastic Training with a devoted to have a backup weapon. It even benefits from devoted PEN and crit bonuses !

Actually with a Devoted/Berserker Brute, Nature Godlike + Hot Razor Skewers and Tactical Barrage+Frenzy you can get Mythic-grade MUT Fists without needing potion of Ascension, and between all your bonuses you can reach (and exceed with special attacks) a PEN of 18, in which case it's not really a backup weapon anymore ;).

Edited by Not So Clever Hound
  • Like 1

Another thing that I can do in case of Pierce immune enemies, if playing a hunter, I can afford the -10acc penalty from the Berserker because the great accuracy bonus I get from the ranger side. Isn’t the way I planned for the build, but won’t hurt to do this sometimes

50 minutes ago, freddfranca said:

Another thing that I can do in case of Pierce immune enemies, if playing a hunter, I can afford the -10acc penalty from the Berserker because the great accuracy bonus I get from the ranger side. Isn’t the way I planned for the build, but won’t hurt to do this sometimes

Well, I rather like the Spine of Thicket Green staff for most of Pierce immune enemies. Most of them are elite skellies and that lag gives +5 Accuracy (partially countering the -10 Devoted penalty) and +20% damage vs vessels.

Plus its early and "free".

Edited by Haplok