Having recently finished PoE1 with WM, I've been thinking about an interesting build for a Deadfire playthrough. The plan, from the beginning, was to empower Woedica and play as Steel Garrote paladin in Deadfire.

I always knew I'd multiclass as well, but I wasn't sure which class/subclass to pick - but since Zahua was in my party I started thinking about making it Nalpazca, both because I was his friend and also because the drugs ultimately helped my character deal with the experiences of the past. So that's the RP story, but I thought I'd ask your help in making it an actual functioning build (with PotD in mind, but not solo).

So far I'm thinking of something like this:

1. Weapons - Estoc & Arquebus, but that's more of a style choice, as that's what my character used in PoE1.

2. The plan - Primarily a damage dealer than can function as a secondary tank if need be.

3. Potential Synergy - It would seem that Monk tree has a lot of abilities that increase attack speed (which would in turn increase the healing from Steel Garrote passive - other characters in the party will provide afflictions). Both Monk and Paladin have a lot of durability abilities and talens, so that seems like a secondary consideration. But that's pretty skin dip, I'm sure there's something more interesting to construct here, but I lack the knowledge about Deadfire to make it, unfortunately.

4. Attributes - no idea here either. Looks like Intelligence for longer Garrote and Perception for high accuracy would be handy, though.

Any and all pointers would be much appreciated :)

• Like 1

You might consider Forbidden Fist/Steel Garrotte instead. Powerotti published a build for this multiclass that is one of my favorites. Forbidden Fist gives you a powerful ability right at the beginning of the game that inflicts a devastating affliction, enfeebled, one of the few classes that can inflict this. This synergizes perfectly with Steel Garrotte, and gives you even more healing. These two subclasses work together really well IMO.

• Like 2

Firefox completely ate my edited response, so here's some bullet points:

Estocs and Arquebuses exclusively deal Pierce damage, which is the most frequent physical damage immunity. I'd recommend backup weapons like a Morning Star: it deals best of Crush/Pierce and the Body Blows modal (-25 FOR) rocks with Garrote since it targets that defense. The unique Estoc Engoliero do Espirs has some value since it can trigger AoE Ghost Blades, which translates to Hobbled, which will trigger Steel Garrote's health recovery VS afflicted enemies.

Speaking of Garrote, you'll want to use it carefully since it costs 2 Zeal and completely whiffs against enemies resistant or immune to DEX afflictions (the Paralyze component has to connect). There's a mod floating around the Deadfire Nexus that reduces the cost to 1, if you are inclined.

I wouldn't mix ranged and melee weapons generally. You'll spread your choices thin (there's a hat that works with two-handed melee and one that works with ranged weapons, for example). There is some slight synergy with Two-Handed style since they both count as two-handed weapons, though.

For RP, you could consider the soulbound Mace Magistrate's Cudgel (binds with Monk) and the unique Club Shattered Vengeance as they are Woedican weapons. These would free your off-hand for Tulotilo's Palm, which is an awesome small shield that also functions as Fist-type weapon and offers valuable Monk enhancements.

Nalpazca is a good choice but the micro-management may not be to your liking. There's a lot of travel in Deadfire so you'll need to reapply Drugs on the regular: this can be frustrating after certain scripted encounters or during boarding battles since you'll need to take a Drug in the thick of it. (Make sure to disable AI when using items since their behaviors will override consumable usage.) Combine Nalpazca with Enduring Dance and you'll be swimming in Wounds. Tread carefully against enemy Wizards since they can cause you to crash prematurely via Arcane Dampener or Arcane Cleanse - Risen Wizards seem to always open with Dampener so consider having your main tank soak it and move on.

Abilities to consider:

Monk
Lightning Strikes/Swift Flurry: I like using the former for two-handed weapons (big damage packets) and the latter when dual-wielding (more opportunities to Crit).
Clarity of Agony: A useful counter versus Arcane Dampener (but not Cleanse).
Raised Torment: The AoE Stun works well on an off-tank and counts as an Affliction, again triggering Steel Garrote's heal on afflicted enemy passive. It's good to have a Wound spender, too.
Enduring Dance: Awesome Wound generation and ACC bonus.
Flagellant's Path: You can never go wrong with a teleport. This isn't something you'll want to use all the time but it's useful for repositioning.
Thunderous Blows: +5 MIG and +2 PEN. The bonus PEN is mandatory on PoTD.
Turning Wheel: +1 INT and +2% Burn Damage lash per Wound. Note the lash won't work on ranged attacks (the Community Patch fixes this).
Skyward Kick: Another Wound spender. It's got some nice flair and style.

Paladin
Sworn Rival: Bonus damage and returns the Zeal cost when the foe dies. The bonus damage applies to (just about?) everything, including Garrote's DoT (new band name).
Shared Flames/Eternal Devotion: Can't go wrong with more ACC.
Lay on Hands: Solid healing, especially with the bonus INT from Turning Wheel. The upgrades (more like sidegrades) are nice but mind the additional Zeal cost.
Exalted Endurance: Probably the best out of the Paladin Auras since Focus doesn't stack (at least without another certain mod) with other active ACC bonuses.
Reviving Exhortation: One of those abilities you'll cringe when picking up but will want to have it just in case.

On RP, a Steel Garrote's favored dispositions are Cruel and Rational while disfavored are Diplomatic and Benevolent. In my current Steel Garrote/Forbidden Fist run, I'm playing him as a corrupt lawful evil enforcer type: plays sides as long as he can, sticks to rules when they benefit him, and has no qualms breaking contracts to serve Woedica (as is her domain). A Nalpazca could fit this well since they'll interact with Deadfire's underbelly to get Drugs. There's not many unique dialogues for Steel Garrote, but given your experiences in PoE1, I think you'll be pleased with what is available.

2 hours ago, dgray62 said:

You might consider Forbidden Fist/Steel Garrotte instead. Powerotti published a build for this multiclass that is one of my favorites. Forbidden Fist gives you a powerful ability right at the beginning of the game that inflicts a devastating affliction, enfeebled, one of the few classes that can inflict this. This synergizes perfectly with Steel Garrotte, and gives you even more healing. These two subclasses work together really well IMO.

Agreed that Forbidden Fist is probably the best Monk class for Steel Garrote multis. Sworn Rival -> Forbidden Fist -> Garrote has a satisfying "You are already dead." appeal. I like to breach through the frontliners using Flagellant's Path, then run around and stun-death casters and archers.

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ophiuchus said:

Agreed that Forbidden Fist is probably the best Monk class for Steel Garrote multis. Sworn Rival -> Forbidden Fist -> Garrote has a satisfying "You are already dead." appeal. I like to breach through the frontliners using Flagellant's Path, then run around and stun-death casters and archers.

Yes. Once you have multiple lashes going from eternal devotion, turning wheel and hylea's talons you'll find that the forbidden fist attack will often one shot squishies and mobs, and even take satisfying chunks out of the health pool of tougher foes (which is diminished via being enfeebled).

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 3:40 PM, dgray62 said:

Yes. Once you have multiple lashes going from eternal devotion, turning wheel and hylea's talons you'll find that the forbidden fist attack will often one shot squishies and mobs, and even take satisfying chunks out of the health pool of tougher foes (which is diminished via being enfeebled).

Toss on Recall Agony. Nothing survives.

Chefs Kiss Gif Simpsons

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Understood. But you need not build a SG/FF as dual wield. You could go, for example, with a two handed weapon. The Whispers of the Endless Paths great sword for example would be great, as foes will often miss you and thus will proc offensive parry, which will daze them and heal you. You can still use the forbidden fist attack regardless of the weapon(s) you are wielding. Also, the once per encounter Run Through ability is devastating, and will take out pretty much any foes, except the big bosses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kaylon said:

Steel Garrote/Nalpazca (or Helwalker) using Voidwheel is a great combo (AoE damage dealer/CC) because he can spam Torment's Reach/Raised Torment at leisure.

Sounds interesting! It would seem the best way to do it would be grab the surviviability talents to go along with it from Monk and Paladin, add some offensive ones from the Monk side too.

So I've tried making a test build for Nalpazca/Steel Garrote with the console commands.

Here's what I have right now:

I. ATTRIBUTES

Might: 16

Constitution: 6

Dexterity: 13

Perception: 13

Intellect: 13

Resolve: 16

All of these will be further increased by 2 due to Berath's Blessing. Not sure about such low Consititution, however. I want to keep 13 Intellect to allow me to pass 18 INT (rational) checks with the help of Ripple Sponge). Unless of course I can do it some other way...

II. MONK ABILITIES

ACTIVES

1. Swift Strikes (Swift Flurry)

2. Dance of Death (Enduring Dance)

3. Torment's Reach (Raised Torment)

4. Thunderous Blows

5. Duality of Mortal Presence (Turning Wheel)

6. Flagellant's Path

PASSIVES

1. Two-Handed Style

2. Soul Mirror

3. Crucible of Suffering

4. Heartbeat Drumming

III. PALADIN ABILITIES

ACTIVES

1. Sworn Enemy (Sworn Rival)

2. Flames of Devotion (Eternal Devotion)

3. Zealous Aura (Exalted Focus) - Pallegina will get Exalted Endurance.

PASSIVES

1. Deep Faith

2. Inspired Defences

3. Inspiring Triumph

4. Scion of Flame

5. Uncanny Luck

6. Virtuous Triumph

7. Improved Critical

8. Stoic Steel

With easy Wound generation Nalpazca grants, this build doesn't need to be hit and as such seems to have a nice synergy with Dance of Death, but it looks like it might be quite durable too.

As this is pretty much my first build, I'd definitely welcome any and all feedback :) Are there any ways to further improve synergy here, for example?

The weapon I'm aiming for is the Voidwheel, per @Kaylon's suggestion, with the hope that the Steel Garrote self-healing passive will help me overcome its drawbacks.

Stats are ok. Personally I would go with lower resolve and higher int/per. For a melee monk Enduring Dance isn't worth investing because it won't last very long and doesn't stack with Exalted Focus. I would pick also Enervating Blows in order to keep my target afflicted and be able to drain health. Uncanny Luck is pretty worthless, it's better to pick Tough to compensate the low Con. Rooting Pain is free AoE damage and since you will generate wounds like crazy you should also pick it. Inspired Defenses doesn't help if you aren't a tank. Scion of Flame is good only if you pick Sacred Immolation and Brand Enemy (which are by the way very good choices for a monk/paladin since the monk can remove the self damage from Sacred Immolation using Clarity of Agony).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaylon said:

Stats are ok. Personally I would go with lower resolve and higher int/per. For a melee monk Enduring Dance isn't worth investing because it won't last very long and doesn't stack with Exalted Focus. I would pick also Enervating Blows in order to keep my target afflicted and be able to drain health. Uncanny Luck is pretty worthless, it's better to pick Tough to compensate the low Con. Rooting Pain is free AoE damage and since you will generate wounds like crazy you should also pick it. Inspired Defenses doesn't help if you aren't a tank. Scion of Flame is good only if you pick Sacred Immolation and Brand Enemy (which are by the way very good choices for a monk/paladin since the monk can remove the self damage from Sacred Immolation using Clarity of Agony).

Here's how it looks after changes, how does it look? By the way, I assume that I don't really need the additional Wounds from the Enduring Dance then (or they don't stack with Nalpazca effect)? As for Tough, 2 health per level doesn't really seem that much... 🤔 Also not sure whether I need Stoic Steel? I don't want this character to be a glass cannon, though...Could pick up Enervating Blows instead, as you suggested, but will I crit enough to make it worth it? I'd rather pick up another passive than either Skyward Kick or Dichotomous Soul, don't like their animations 😄

I. ATTRIBUTES

Constitution: 6

Perception: 14

Intellect: 14

Resolve: 14

(That's without Berath's Blessing)

II. MONK ABILITIES

ACTIVES

1. Force of Anguish (No Upgrades)

2. Clarity of Agony (No Upgrades)

3. Swift Strikes (Swift Flurry)

4. Thunderous Blows

6. Flagellant's Path

PASSIVES

1. Two-Handed Style

2. Rooting Pain

3. Crucible of Suffering

4. Improved Critical

5. Heartbeat Drumming

III. PALADIN ABILITIES

ACTIVES

1. Sworn Enemy (Brand Enemy)

4. Sacred Immolation

PASSIVES

1. Deep Faith

2. Inspiring Triumph

3. Scion of Flame

4. Virtuous Triumph

5. Stoic Steel

11 hours ago, Caran of Varn said:

Here's how it looks after changes, how does it look? By the way, I assume that I don't really need the additional Wounds from the Enduring Dance then (or they don't stack with Nalpazca effect)? As for Tough, 2 health per level doesn't really seem that much... 🤔 Also not sure whether I need Stoic Steel? I don't want this character to be a glass cannon, though...Could pick up Enervating Blows instead, as you suggested, but will I crit enough to make it worth it? I'd rather pick up another passive than either Skyward Kick or Dichotomous Soul, don't like their animations 😄

Stoic Steel is very good. You should choose Swift Flurry at creation, skip Force of Anguish and pick Righteous Soul later. Also you should drop Improved Critical and pick Lesser Wounds instead.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Kaylon said:

Stoic Steel is very good. You should choose Swift Flurry at creation, skip Force of Anguish and pick Righteous Soul later. Also you should drop Improved Critical and pick Lesser Wounds instead.

1. And what about Enlightened Agony, with all those Wounds I could have it up at all times probably. Does it stack with Turning Wheel? Stacking Intellect seems like a good idea considering Garrote ability.

2. Which is better - Clarity of Agony or Righteous Soul?

3. Dance of Death isn't worth it even for the additional Wounds generation?

4. How low would you consider dropping Resolve for this build while still not making it a glass cannon (more of a off-tank secondary, primary damage dealer, that kind of a deal). Maybe I should also increase Constitution a bit, with 6 and no Tough I have 243 health at level 20.

5. The burn damage from Brand Enemy seems rather low, even with Scion of the Flame, wouldn't Sworn Rival still be better, considering those enemies will be falling a lot, letting me reapply it constantly?

6. Soul Mirror is only worth it if you're a tank, right?

7. Mortification of the Soul is probably overkill for this build I'm guessing :)

8. Lesser Wounds or Tough? That's connected to question 4.

Appreciate the help.

Edited by Caran of Varn

Enlightened Agony doesn't stack with Turning Wheel. However, it can make sure you won't drop below +5 INT (when under 5 wounds). But I wouldn't use an Ability Point for that given how easily a Nalpasca gains wounds.

Melee Monk with Enduring Dance would only make sense if you could make sure you wouldn't get hit much. Like if you were playing a ranged Monk - or if you were playing one with very high defenses but no tanking responsibilities or something like that. Or if you focused your build on Blade Turning. 

Soul Mirror makes most sense with high deflection. Imo it's pretty useful in solo runs but not that much in party runs (because in a party often it's not the Monk who attracts ranged fire in the first place). 

Brand Enemy is a neverending DoT ability which is cheap, very fast and most importantly an auto-hit(!). That makes it very useful in certain encounters. Sworn Rival is nice as well (especially for a Goldpact Knight who can get a refund for his +4 AR) but in parties limited Zeal isn't that big of a deal. It can be very powerful to inflict neverending burn damage to a whole bunch of enemies in a few seconds with 100% success. It can help you to ein encounters where you'd normally have a hard time hitting enemies and so on. 

Note that Brand Enemy is useless against Ironclads/Steelclads and other fire immune enemies and really counterproductive against certain enemies like Flame Nagas and Dorudugan (who heal from fire DMG). Against fire vulnerable enemies (hello Beast of Winter) it's great most of times. Reaching good PEN can make the difference between "meh" and "great" though. 

Sworn Rival is more like a no-fuzz "everyday usage" upgrade while Brand Enemy is more situational but can make a big difference in hard fights. 

Mortification otS: yes, overkill. I'd even say Lesser Wounds is overkill (if you use Hylea's Talons for gloves and later Sacred Immolation it's def. overkill at that point imo).

Resolve you go all-in (increasing defensive returns) or nothing imo. But it can really help with Sacred Immolation's self damage. On the other hand Monk has other tools to shorten the duration of hostile effects - like Clarity of Agony - and there are some items that help. So maybe I'd still tank RES to 3 if I wasn't to max it in the first place. 

I value Clarity oA over Righteous Soul since the first one always works while the second is situational - but on the other hand it's wound-driven active vs. passive so I would be torn. Also because RS completey nullifies all attacks that are tagged as poison/disease. So for example stuff like Plague of Insects or even direct damage like Noxious Burst wouldn't affect you at all iirc. I guess I would like to have both?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

36 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Enlightened Agony doesn't stack with Turning Wheel. However, it can make sure you won't drop below +5 INT (when under 5 wounds). But I wouldn't use an Ability Point for that given how easily a Nalpasca gains wounds.

Melee Monk with Enduring Dance would only make sense if you could make sure you wouldn't get hit much. Like if you were playing a ranged Monk - or if you were playing one with very high defenses but no tanking responsibilities or something like that. Or if you focused your build on Blade Turning. 

Soul Mirror makes most sense with high deflection. Imo it's pretty useful in solo runs but not that much in party runs (because in a party often it's not the Monk who attracts ranged fire in the first place). 

Brand Enemy is a neverending DoT ability which is cheap, very fast and most importantly an auto-hit(!). That makes it very useful in certain encounters. Sworn Rival is nice as well (especially for a Goldpact Knight who can get a refund for his +4 AR) but in parties limited Zeal isn't that big of a deal. It can be very powerful to inflict neverending burn damage to a whole bunch of enemies in a few seconds with 100% success. It can help you to ein encounters where you'd normally have a hard time hitting enemies and so on. 

Note that Brand Enemy is useless against Ironclads/Steelclads and other fire immune enemies and really counterproductive against certain enemies like Flame Nagas and Dorudugan (who heal from fire DMG). Against fire vulnerable enemies (hello Beast of Winter) it's great most of times. Reaching good PEN can make the difference between "meh" and "great" though. 

Sworn Rival is more like a no-fuzz "everyday usage" upgrade while Brand Enemy is more situational but can make a big difference in hard fights. 

Mortification otS: yes, overkill. I'd even say Lesser Wounds is overkill (if you use Hylea's Talons for gloves and later Sacred Immolation it's def. overkill at that point imo).

Resolve you go all-in (increasing defensive returns) or nothing imo. But it can really help with Sacred Immolation's self damage. On the other hand Monk has other tools to shorten the duration of hostile effects - like Clarity of Agony - and there are some items that help. So maybe I'd still tank RES to 3 if I wasn't to max it in the first place. 

I value Clarity oA over Righteous Soul since the first one always works while the second is situational - but on the other hand it's wound-driven active vs. passive so I would be torn. Also because RS completey nullifies all attacks that are tagged as poison/disease. So for example stuff like Plague of Insects or even direct damage like Noxious Burst wouldn't affect you at all iirc. I guess I would like to have both?

Thank you, good sir :) Combining your and @Kaylon's advice I propose something like this:

I. ATTRIBUTES

Constitution: 3

Perception: 16

Intellect: 14

Resolve: 16

(That's without Berath's Blessing)

II. MONK ABILITIES

ACTIVES

1. Clarity of Agony (No Upgrades)

3. Swift Strikes (Swift Flurry)

4. Thunderous Blows

6. Flagellant's Path

PASSIVES

1. Two-Handed Style

2. Rooting Pain

3. Crucible of Suffering

4. Heartbeat Drumming

5. Tough

III. PALADIN ABILITIES

ACTIVES

1. Sworn Enemy (Brand Enemy)

4. Sacred Immolation

PASSIVES

1. Deep Faith

2. Inspiring Triumph

3. Scion of Flame

4. Righteous Soul

5. Virtuous Triumph

6. Stoic Steel

10 hours ago, Caran of Varn said:

2. Which is better - Clarity of Agony or Righteous Soul?

If you are going to use Sacred Immolation, Clarity of Agony is a must. You should proc it right after you proc Sacred Immolation. Doing so will dramatically reduce the number of raw damage tics that hit you, and could save your life, and also make Sacred Immolation more usable. 

1 hour ago, dgray62 said:

If you are going to use Sacred Immolation, Clarity of Agony is a must. You should proc it right after you proc Sacred Immolation. Doing so will dramatically reduce the number of raw damage tics that hit you, and could save your life, and also make Sacred Immolation more usable. 

My bad, I meant to ask Crucible of Suferring or Righteous Soul :) Although the latest version of the build has both.

IMO, Enduring Dance wouldn't be worth it if your main character is going to be the tank - works great on an off-tank, though, especially if you use Stealth and ambush tactics (you can generate a couple extra Wounds while your tank does his thing, then pop out of Stealth when ready). Enduring Dance works really well with reach weapons (Pikes and Quarterstaves) and Instruments of Pain.

Not a lot of talk about Drugs in this thread when they're integral to your build. Due to stacking rules, many of them won't work too well with Monk but here are a few standouts:

Mouth Char: 5% damage reduction, +15% damage /w melee weapons. I'm guessing the specific "/w melee weapons" would stack with generic active damage boosts.

Deadeye: +5 ACC, 15% chance to score Interrupt on Crit Hit. This one could be useful if you aren't planning on using Enduring Dance or Perception Inspirations (Blessing, Tactical Meld, and such).

Svef: +3 PER, -25% hostile effect duration, resistance to Mind afflictions (INT, PER, RES). Obvious synergy with Sacred Immolation here, and the resistances rock.

"Why would anyone want to take an addictive substance, Tasha?"
Uncategorized – Page 391 – DC's

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 1