I would try something like this:

RACE: Coastal Aumaua

BCKG: Old Vailia - Drifter

CLASS: Wizard

Starting ATTS: MIG 16, CON 09, DEX 14, PER 12, INT 19, RES 8

SKILLS: Mechanics 12, Athletics 1+, Lore 2, Survival 7

ABLTS: Arcane Assault, Towering Physique, Minor Arcane Reflection, Second Wind

MASTER SPELLS: (1st) Parasitic Staff, (2nd) Mirrored, (3rd) Deleterious, (4th) Llengrath's Physical Shields (retrain might be necessary)

MEMORIZED SPELLS: (1st) Chillfog, Staff, Ghost, Double, (2nd) Bewildering, Blackened, Infuse, Merciless, (3rd) Expose, Blights, Displaced, Visage, (4th) Shadowflame, Physical, Confusion, Tentacles, (5th) Blast, Lance, Safeguard, Cloud, (6th) Hex, Martial, Gaze, Blunt, (7th) Doom, Image, Bolt, Orb, (8th) Rake, Bulwark, Wall, Wind

TLNTS: Arcane Veil (R)*, Hardened Veil (R)*, Weapon and Shield (R), Vets Recovery (R), Weapon Focus (whatever you use as main weapon in Act I), Savage Attack, Two Handed, Bull's Will     *if you retrain: you won't need Arcane Veil much in the later Game

WPS: Steadfast + Little Savior / Adydon’s Hammer

ITMS: Blaidh Golan (R) or Wayfarer’s Hide (chest), Company Captain’s Cap (head), Master Mystic (back), Guantlets of Swift Action (hands), Boots of Stability (R) or Vietto’s Footwear (feet), Looped Belt (R) or Royal Deadfire (waist), Ring Thorns & Ring of Protection (fingers)

• Thanks 1

Many thanks! I remember that there is a spell that improves casting time. Would dumping might and having high dex be feasible? I just tried to do the math regarding might and dex and it seems to me that since the base multiplier stays the same, dex would actually give you more dps + faster casting time... 

4 hours ago, Steffen90 said:

Many thanks! I remember that there is a spell that improves casting time. Would dumping might and having high dex be feasible? I just tried to do the math regarding might and dex and it seems to me that since the base multiplier stays the same, dex would actually give you more dps + faster casting time... 

with Company Captain’s Cap and / or Ring of Thorns and Dex Resting Bonus you will have 19-20 Dex, this should be enough...

11 minutes ago, demon72 said:

with Company Captain’s Cap and / or Ring of Thorns and Dex Resting Bonus you will have 19-20 Dex, this should be enough...

But isn't more dex always better or does it somehow start scaling worse regarding dps?

Dex has no diminishing returns. More DEX is always useful. DEX increase is a multiplicative dmg increase. MIG increase is only an additive dmg increase. BUT higher MIG helps overcoming DR. So it depends on the enemy what is the better "dps stat". But more DEX is never bad. 

Note that apart from DEX there's nothing that enhances attack/casting speed. All "action speed" buffs in the game only affect recovery (the phase after attacking/casting). DEX lowers both action time AND recovery time.

So the wizard spell Deleterious Alacrity of Motion gives you very fast recovery, but it doesn't speed up your casting time (time it takes until the spell goes off). Still a very good speedup though because spells' recovery times can be rel. long, too.

• Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

46 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Dex has no diminishing returns. More DEX is always useful. DEX increase is a multiplicative dmg increase. MIG increase is only an additive dmg increase. BUT higher MIG helps overcoming DR. So it depends on the enemy what is the better "dps stat". But more DEX is never bad. 

Note that apart from DEX there's nothing that enhances attack/casting speed. All "action speed" buffs in the game only affect recovery (the phase after attacking/casting). DEX lowers both action time AND recovery time.

So the wizard spell Deleterious Alacrity of Motion gives you very fast recovery, but it doesn't speed up your casting time (time it takes until the spell goes off). Still a very good speedup though because spells' recovery times can be rel. long, too.

Many thanks for the clarification. That was my understanding aswell but because I'm a  compulsive nerd, there was no way I could have started a new game without that clarification. Best regards from Brandenburg to my old hometown ;) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steffen90 said:

But isn't more dex always better or does it somehow start scaling worse regarding dps?

maybe a little bit misleading - enough in the sense of "it is not worth reducing other values for this".

• Thanks 1