melee Priest of Berath (Death Godlike or Island Aumaua for RP) on PotD: good or meh (for a priest at least)

So, after thoroughly testing so many party setups in Od Nua level 3 I lost count, I think about starting another run with 2 Priests (1 Berath, 1 Eothas/Eder), Pallegina, Sagani, Kana and GM.

Now, I am not sure I want both Priests in the back, but instead 1 as a melee support/dd, namely the Berathian Death Godlike (named either Lilith or Nyx).

For now, I got 18/8/19/10/18/3 (DF culture - racial stats not shown), but am wondering how viable that is later in the game.

Edited by SirMirrorcoat

• SirMirrorcoat changed the title to melee Priest of Berath (Death Godlike or Island Aumaua for RP) on PotD: good or meh (for a priest at least)

I played a melee Priest of Berath with Tidefall and it was pretty fun:

You need Weapon focus Soldier, the Berathian weapon talent, maxed Might (generally a focus on maxing out Might via Aggrandizing Radiance + Champion's Boon or Minor Avatar and an item bonus etc.). Key is that Tidefall's wounding damage scales with Might - and Priests can have the highest Might score in the game. 

Tidefall also has life draining which heals you when you damage enemies. More details behind the link above (use that arrow button in the top right to jump right to my post). 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The belt (or better: Firebrand) works for every priest. 

All Priests can use summoned weapons (mainly Firebrand) and all soulbound weapons to full effect with their deity's special weapon talent. Meaning they get +10 accuracy with them no matter what type of weapon it is. Soulbound and summoned weapons work with all weapon focuses and all of the different Priests' weapon talents. So you can use a Priest of Eothas with Firebrand (Great Swords) and a Priest of Skaen with the Grey Sleeper (Estoc) and a Priest of Magran could use Abydon's Hammer (War Hammer) - or whatever combo you like. That's because summoned/soulbound weapons are "universal".

The good thing about the Berath/Tidefall combo is that Berathian Priests get the fitting weapon talent for Great Swords anyway - and that Tidefall works incredibly well with high Might. 

• Like 2

At the beginning: the thickest armor.

Priests have bad starting defenses, endurance and health and this is very obvious in the early game. 

Never engage in melee first but send forth the really sturdy guys (if you have). Play him like a Rogue basically: let somebody else engage first and then flank. Priests should start combat with casting buffs anyway. 

Later with all the buffs and with more levels under the belt it's not that bad anymore. 

Like with all per-rest casters (who all have bad starting values): early game is harder but at some point they overtake everyone else. 

• Like 1