Surprise! The Outer Worlds 2 announced at E3 2021

Great narration. 

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

2 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

the moon helmet in the logo might means the sequel still set in halcyon

Does it? Corporation have bought Halcyon, but I don't think they necessarly stopped existing in other parts of the universe. 

At this point Obsidian should just make a team, that just makes trailers for other companies games. Obsidians trailers have been the best in the business for a long time now. ^_^

• Like 2

20 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

was expecting new avowed trailer

the moon helmet in the logo might means the sequel still set in halcyon

One of the articles about the announcement said Obsidian has said the game is set in a new star system.

• Thanks 1

Since Obsidian themselves said they couldn't include a third-person option in TOW1 only because their budget wouldn't allow it, I really hope we will get that option in TOW2. It's the main reason I have not played TOW1.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:56 AM, kanisatha said:

One of the articles about the announcement said Obsidian has said the game is set in a new star system.

This would also make sense in terms of trying to respond to a player's choices in the first game, I reckon. Considering how widely the state of the world can vary at the end of the first game, leading up to outright apocalyptic scenarios for Halcyon, it might make sense to account for whatever the player chose as part of the universe's greater lore than to directly follow up on it.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

On 6/14/2021 at 7:55 AM, kanisatha said:

Sorry, disagree. I loved the TOW2 trailer for its comedic value, but Starfield looks like a fantastic game from its trailer.

I'm interested in it but the trailer didn't even make it look like a game, let alone a fantastic one.

9 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

I'm interested in it but the trailer didn't even make it look like a game, let alone a fantastic one.

What I meant is that I love the premise of the game, meaning the context of the story of the game. If I could pick any life for myself I wanted, it would be being part of humanity's early days stepping out of the solar system. Nothing that humanity has achieved before would even come close in awesomeness (for me personally) to our first steps beyond our star system.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kanisatha said:

What I meant is that I love the premise of the game, meaning the context of the story of the game. If I could pick any life for myself I wanted, it would be being part of humanity's early days stepping out of the solar system. Nothing that humanity has achieved before would even come close in awesomeness (for me personally) to our first steps beyond our star system.

Fair enough.  It could be cool...  I would just caution everyone to temper expectations.  Todd saying it's "Indiana Jones in space" "han solo simulator" "skyrim in space" makes me a little nervous.  Because those are all fairly different things.  Indiana Jones would be exploring ruins.  Han solo would be smuggling.  Skyrim in space would be a soulless sandbox.

That being said... I think at very worst it will be a fun sandbox that I play but never finish.

18 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Fair enough.  It could be cool...  I would just caution everyone to temper expectations.  Todd saying it's "Indiana Jones in space" "han solo simulator" "skyrim in space" makes me a little nervous.  Because those are all fairly different things.  Indiana Jones would be exploring ruins.  Han solo would be smuggling.  Skyrim in space would be a soulless sandbox.

That being said... I think at very worst it will be a fun sandbox that I play but never finish.

I think the Han Solo reference was to flying a spaceship, and the Skyrim reference to a large open-world game that allows you to "go anywhere."

Howard has also said the game will portray spaceflight and space exploration in as realistic a way as possible, meaning that spaceflight is very difficult business and remains very dangerous even after one has been doing it successfully for some time. And for this, they're actually engaging in some consulting with both NASA and SpaceX for insights to use in the game. It is also set in that perfect sweet spot technologically-speaking: about 200 years from now when we're technologically advanced enough to have thoroughly explored, and even settled, our solar system, but technological infants with respect to deep space travel beyond our star system.

The trailer was certainly entertaining/humorous, I like that.
I still haven't played the first game very far, tho.  I'll get around to it one day, I swear. :lol:

Anyhoo, I think I'd be a bit more interested in Avowed then this one (especially if mod tools are given...), but I still hope this sequel does well, for Obsidian's success.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

This is the funniest trailer I've seen in a while, can't wait to have a first glimpse of TOW2. I hope you guys will make an "import first game save " feature so we could continue our adventures depending on our choices and actions.

And I truly hope that microsoft won't interfere in the development and will just give you guys a huge budget to allow your combined talents to do magic on a bigger scale and with more secrets to uncover and hazardous places to visit.

It's kind of fun in a way that obsidian and bethesda are both developing rpgs in space, even if they are very different games.

Keep making great and smart games with more secret passages and ways to enter specific places and various ways to solve quests, you guys are among the best rpg creators.

• 3 weeks later...

I have but one request: please don't make the sequel silly--please, no parodies of actual future melodrama in space just because you can't do anything *but* a parody...;)  Take the next step and create a story for adults (and by that I don't mean naked people with their genitals hanging out, and so on), with wrenching, emotional plot twists, turns, real mysteries several layers deep, and sub-plots that challenge the mind (I don't mean puzzles) and not just the left mouse button & the right index finger--the fire button.  This series has so much potential--if you don't ruin it by hamming it up. Or by making a cheap, knock-off, multiplayer muck-up--you know what I mean!

Gotta' say, though, that the first game and expansions are truly mind-blowing graphically as played though my AMD 50th Ann Ed 5700XT and displayed on my new 43" Philips DisplayHDR-1000 Certified 4k, DP1.4a monitor.  Captivating.   The latest patches really do it justice, too.  Please don't blow it with the second installment!

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Merzhinhudour said:

I just hope they'll keep the tone and qualities of the first game to make the sequel, and that they will make a save importation system so that we could follow the story we created and see results of our choices and actions.

I don't think the games will be connected at all.  So I doubt there will be an import.  Also, imports tend to be underwhelming. At best a couple dialog nods to your choices.  I'm actually fine with the fallout method of just having a cannon ending.  At least the world can change in a meaningful way, instead of staying stagnant for the sake of being open to your previous choices

19 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

I don't think the games will be connected at all.  So I doubt there will be an import.  Also, imports tend to be underwhelming. At best a couple dialog nods to your choices.  I'm actually fine with the fallout method of just having a cannon ending.  At least the world can change in a meaningful way, instead of staying stagnant for the sake of being open to your previous choices

Yeah they've said it will be a completely new crew in a completely new star system. Plus, I imagine they want it to be a game someone can play without ever having touched the first game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3