Hello guys so, for a while now I've been trying to solo this game. I attempted a solo Wizard (Blood Mage) and truth be told I got completely annihilated. Based off the research I've scoured on the forums I think I might have added too much Might and low Constitution to my character and that doesn't go well with Blood Mage. I'm sure solo Blood Mage is doable but I would genuinely prefer something a little more viable where I don't have to worry about pinching myself and getting killed. Taking this into consideration I'm sure most of you can tell I'm not very experienced at this game so, currently I'm hoping to find another class that pairs well with wizard and that is viable in at least solo veteran difficulty. So far the ones I find the most interesting are Wizard/Fighter, Wizard/Paladin, Wizard/ Chanter but I'm really not sure on how to distribute my attributes nor the sub-classes I should shoot for a proper synergy. I'm open for any suggestions that doesn't involve wizard but is a class that is self sustainable preferably something that doesn't require the use of many potions (I wouldn't want to play a monk that needs to be on steroids every fight or for a viable for solo). For gear I have an inkling of what I need but any suggestions are welcomed!!! Thank you in advance 😄

You should know that soloing encounters at low level is very hard even for the most experienced players. Only a handful of classes don't need to skip fights at the beginning, the others have to gain experience without fighting in order to become strong enough.  Chanter/blood mage and paladin/blood mage are both solid, but don't expect to destroy everything from the beginning. Stats make very little difference, don't focus too much on that.

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply however I feel like I was doing pretty ok till I got to the Engwithan Titan probably the easiest boss in the game. I was using combusting wounds in combination with buffs, wall of flame cheese strategy, ray of fire I attempted it a couple of times but I would run out of spells and using blood mage would almost straight up send me to heaven. I probably could have beaten it if I had leveled up a bit more but I ended up wanting to create a new class.

• Like 1

Ye as Kaylon said soloing isn't as much about your stats but knowing the capabilities of the classes and if necessary leveling without combat.

You can level all the way to level 19 without a single fight (except the tutorial fight ofc) if you really want to.

SC Blood Mage is the strongest class in the game if you are willing to abuse all cheese, for a beginner I would rather suggest to play Tactician/bloodmage or one of the combos kaylon suggested.

• Like 2

++ Everything that's been said, plus if you're willing to reconsider a solo SC Bloodmage run, here's one build that worked really well for me to solo everything on PotD.

Now that we've discovered that a SC BM can with a touch of cheese literally steal every Wizard/Priest/Druid spell in the game with infinite uses, this would get even more  ridiculously powerful. ;) 

Edited by Not So Clever Hound
  • Like 1

hahahaha no way Not So Clever Hound I literally looked into your post first before attempting my run and I thought to myself "no way wizards need might" and I proceeded to do the most brain dead thing ever maxing Might as a blood wizard. I also thought Rekvu’s Fractured Casque was pretty useless along with the Vaporous but dude you're legit a genius I never would have thought of purposefully having an injury to have more spells without being interrupted.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, R1ofDeath said:

I also thought Rekvu’s Fractured Casque was pretty useless along with the Vaporous but dude you're legit a genius I never would have thought of purposefully having an injury to have more spells without being interrupted.

Well I can't take credit for coming up with the Rekvu's + Vaporous synergy :) but yeah it's very powerful especially with a SC wizard since it gives you 3 PL8 and 2 PL9 casts which can obliterate many high level fights.

Since then I've found out that the best injury to have isn't Acute Rash but Wrenched Knee (virtually no downside) which you can get with certain traps e.g. the Spike Traps in the Poko Kohara ruin.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, R1ofDeath said:

Thank you so much Raven Darkholme I might give the class you suggested a try 😄

It's a real fun synergy because of Chillfog, blind = flanked lol.

Also draining wall + unbending is just awesome. :)

17 minutes ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

Well I can't take credit for coming up with the Rekvu's + Vaporous synergy :) but yeah it's very powerful especially with a SC wizard since it gives you 3 PL8 and 2 PL9 casts which can obliterate many high level fights.

Since then I've found out that the best injury to have isn't Acute Rash but Wrenched Knee (virtually no downside) which you can get with certain traps e.g. the Spike Traps in the Poko Kohara ruin.

I personally like the -fire dr injury + the cloak healing you for fire damage. 😛

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

Acute Rash is just the most convenient to get imo.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

54 minutes ago, Raven Darkholme said:

I personally like the -fire dr injury + the cloak healing you for fire damage. 😛

Once played a Berserker/Wizard with just that basic idea. Wearing this:

battle_axe_dancer.gif?dl=1

The beard was a glitch which is now patched out. :)
I think I ended up using the other dancer's outfit though with the leather leggins an sleeves. And the Scorched Cloak of course. Because it looked more metal of course. 

By the way: Berserker/Wizard with that setup has an easy time casting Combusting Wounds on himself. It's not gamechanging but fun. I wonder how (confused) Shining Beacon with a Berserker/Priest would be...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Raven Darkholme said:

I personally like the -fire dr injury + the cloak healing you for fire damage

Yes it's nice but not so helpful on a build with sky-high Reflex like my SC BM because most fire damage you can take (or inflict) targets REF. With REF in the 250 range, nothing is really going to hit you. Doru has a shot of course, but my religion forbids me to kill Doru with anything other than Lover's Embrace and/or Gouging Strike. 🤓

20 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Agreed, but on a build that capitalizes on high Defenses, the -5 FORT of Acute Rash can be the difference between being hit sometimes by annoying Fortitude targeting attacks, and never being hit. In which case, I'd want to have Wrenched Knee up which isn't that inconvenient for me but granted, I play no-rest runs. :) 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

The fire one is almost as convenient, because you have infinite injuries in the last room of sandswept.

1 minute ago, Not So Clever Hound said:

Yes it's nice but not so helpful on a build with sky-high Reflex like my SC BM because most fire damage you can take (or inflict) targets REF. With REF in the 250 range, nothing is really going to hit you. Doru has a shot of course, but my religion forbids me to kill Doru with anything other than Lover's Embrace and/or Gouging Strike. 🤓

Agreed, but on a build that capitalizes on high Defenses, the -5 FORT of Acute Rash can be the difference between being hit sometimes by annoying Fortitude targeting attacks, and never being hit. In which case, I'd want to have Wrenched Knee up which isn't that inconvenient for me but granted, I play no-rest runs. :) 

I mean so you don't get the healing as often, but the injury still has no downside for you, since fire heals you?

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raven Darkholme said:

I mean so you don't get the healing as often, but the injury still has no downside for you, since fire heals you?

Well Serious Burn still comes with -2 DEX which isn't a big deal but comes in the way of your speed/DPS. In the spirit of optimization, I'm still in the camp of Wrenched Knee for my particular build. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1