The All-Things Cinema thread

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

Have you watched his 50 hour documentation on movie making yet?

bdFs-Jy8F3PF73ojtkbZGJlU_WUVV7pxVU8AKZaj

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Pig (2021). To my great shame, this was actually a pretty good movie. I normally can't stand Nicholas Cage, but he did good here.

Hide contents

It's a film that seems to set itself up as a revenge movie that then sensibly averts itself in favor of kindness and empathy without feeling mushy or silly.

The RLM video on it made me want to check it out. Is it streaming anywhere or in theaters only?

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Pig (2021). To my great shame, this was actually a pretty good movie. I normally can't stand Nicholas Cage, but he did good here.

Reveal hidden contents

It's a film that seems to set itself up as a revenge movie that then sensibly averts itself in favor of kindness and empathy without feeling mushy or silly.

our pov is similar but different.

it isn't as if nicholas cage sudden became a bad actor. doesn't shock us when he does good work. 

nicholas cage is an indiscriminate actor. doesn't shock us at all when he does a bad movie.

am recalling kick-ass were the first movie cage did after his taxes problem. is one o' the more unique superhero films and am thinking cage were actual underappreciated in that movie 'cause so many fixate on chloë moretz. nothing stopped cage from doing good movies save for fact he stopped seeming to care if he did bad movies and so he got a rep as kinda a b-movie punchline. 

cage alone will not sell us on a movie, so am invariably waiting for multiple other people to offer themselves as guinea pigs before we consider wasting a couple hours on a nicholas cage movie. have heard good things 'bout pig. will watch eventual.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I ain't even gonna hate on Nic Cage for getting into financial problems. You wanna talk about living your best life? My man bought a castle and dinosaurs skulls. That's some Bond villain $#!+. Respect.

• Haha 1

rowsdower_sig.jpg.0f13980282a9229af0f1609eb6dee060.jpg
I wonder if there is beer on the sun

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

The RLM video on it made me want to check it out. Is it streaming anywhere or in theaters only?

Yeah, I got a few minutes through their video, heard Jay say "probably my favorite movie since The Witch", heard Mike say "yeah, I loved it too", and was like, okay, guess I'll go watch this even though it looks like a complete joke and finish the review later.

In regards to streaming it, this is really strange, because I figured it was just widely available but currently for a price...but no, literally the only place I see where it's available to stream online is from just my local internet/cable company's on demand service for like $6, :shrugz:. Not on HBO, Prime, Netflix, Hulu, or anywhere else that I can see.

Put fascists and sociopaths on your ignore list.

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

18 minutes ago, Amentep said:

If nothing else, it's better than the Ghostbusters 2016 trailer. Granted, that's not exactly a high bar to clear; 2 1/2 minutes of static would be better than the Ghostbusters 2016 trailer.

rowsdower_sig.jpg.0f13980282a9229af0f1609eb6dee060.jpg
I wonder if there is beer on the sun

35 minutes ago, Amentep said:

vid

nepotism offends our sensibilities. nevertheless, am thinking is kinda kewl a story so much focused on egon spengler's grandkids should be directed by a reitman and that a bernstein is contributing to the score. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That Ghostbusters looks pretty dang fun. I'm excited for it.

Of course, I didn't react with some weird abhorrence to the 2016 film. It was a pretty standard comedy that didn't really fit the tone of the originals. It was just goofy and filled with gags, and the story was forgettable. I'd say it is pretty easy to forget it as part of the Ghostbusters universe. 

7 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

That Ghostbusters looks pretty dang fun. I'm excited for it.

Of course, I didn't react with some weird abhorrence to the 2016 film. It was a pretty standard comedy that didn't really fit the tone of the originals. It was just goofy and filled with gags, and the story was forgettable. I'd say it is pretty easy to forget it as part of the Ghostbusters universe. 

There should really be a puking or skull or something emote reaction for occasions such as these.

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

13 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

There should really be a puking or skull or something emote reaction for occasions such as these.

A facepalm would be nice. 

Spoiler

But then Bruno and Stjepan would "win" every day they post. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Give me the eyes, so I see
Give me ears, so I hear
Give me love, so I know what love is
Give me freedom to think, to believe
In something
                        -- Tony Kakko

Yes, on second thought, the lack of "negative" emoticons is pretty wise: ignoring is much more effective.

Spoiler

Ignoring individual posts that is, not users. ...Well, the latter too, but I didn't mean to imply that specifically here, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I thought the Picard facepalm screencapture was the unofficial forum facepalm image.:shifty:

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Just use this

b3d9ac21bba9134c8d4046dd297c26ca.jpg

2 hours ago, majestic said:

A facepalm would be nice. 

Hide contents

But then Bruno and Stjepan would "win" every day they post. 

Bruno and Stjepan in the.....never mind.

• Like 1

"I am the expert, asshat." - Hurlsnot

"You need to be careful, lest I write another ten page essay on mythology and how it relates to Sailor Moon." - majestic

"I won't say what just in case KaineParker is reading" - Bartimaeus

"Oh no! Is there super secret ending as well? I don’t care." - Wormerine

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Ok, who the **** are Bruno and Stjepan? 😂

Two characters in a short story best left forgotten, for only madness and suffering lay ahead.

7 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I've always been partial to this:

Tommy-Lee-Jones-in-No-Country-for-Old-Me

For a "seriously?" reaction.

I used to use that, but I think Stephen has more hostility to him and works better for really bad opinions.

"I am the expert, asshat." - Hurlsnot

"You need to be careful, lest I write another ten page essay on mythology and how it relates to Sailor Moon." - majestic

"I won't say what just in case KaineParker is reading" - Bartimaeus

"Oh no! Is there super secret ending as well? I don’t care." - Wormerine