The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

On a divergent topic...

Has Bruce Willis stumbled into a somewhat amusing film again?

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

And just for @Amentep in case he hasn't discovered the visual joys of the tweeter:

Seriously, if you guys like the art and designs in sci-fi films, that twitter focuses on it and the concept art that created it. Lots of pretty pictures and some occasional interesting background behind it all.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

12 hours ago, Raithe said:

On a divergent topic...

Has Bruce Willis stumbled into a somewhat amusing film again?

Bruce Willis with his trademark I'd rather be anywhere else but here look on his face in every scene.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Batman and Spiderman are in a neck and neck race to see who can oversaturate the market the fastest.

Over the last 32 years there have been 8 Batman movies, 9 if you count Justice League, more still if you count animated movies.

Over the last 19 years there have been 8 Spiderman movies, 9 if you count Avengers: End Game, more if you count animated ones.

I guess Spiderman is winning on frequency.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

15 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Still better than getting an Aunt May movie.

I'd sign off on a J Jonah Jameson movie, though, so long as it's J K Simmons.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'd sign off on a JK Simmons biopic starring JK Simmons.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 10/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, Raithe said:

Not many people knew that

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This looks stupid, but I'm not yet sure if it's going to be a fun stupid or just stupid stupid. Hopefully it's fun stupid because globetrotting adventure movies are my jam.

• Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Just got home from The French Dispatch. Wouldn't say I loved it. Wouldn't say I hated it. Definitely Anderson's least accessible film to date.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I forced my wife and daughter to watch Dune with me. They seemed to enjoy it by the end, but were super pissed I didn't tell them it was only part 1. :p

Personally I missed Sting. The whole cast was really good, but Javier Bardem was my favorite part. It was a beautiful movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I saw Dune on my couch in the living room as it was meant to be seen.

B-B-But that's like running a motorboat in a bathtub! How can you claim to have really seen Dune if you weren't sitting in a corner next to a guy who keeps coughing?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Forgot to mention that I actually really enjoyed Dune up til the end. I knew it was just half of the book but it was still really frustrating end and my wife who knows nothing about Dune felt the same way. 

am suspecting the new dune could be frustrating for folks who don't know dune. example: the genuine importance o' spice is never explained save for extreme brief and off-hand comments. doesn't matter to those o' us who has read dune and likely seen every previous movie and tv version, but the pivotal importance o' spice and arakis is kinda assumed to be understood by the audience. also, the movie end does suck 'cause while the directors attempt to make the event at the conclusion pivotal to paul's development, it nevertheless feels forced and kinda pointless. 

a few o' the performances were excellent. visually the movie were appealing. 

*shrug*

at 2.5 hours long there were predictable pacing issues. 

overall we enjoyed the movie.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)