The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

Well, I like the use of White Rabbit.  I guess Neo's not dead, so that means Trinity is some fake one or an Agent ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

19 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, I like the use of White Rabbit.  I guess Neo's not dead, so that means Trinity is some fake one or an Agent ?

Not that far fetched she was saved by the machines.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

7 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Fair enough, she took a long time to die with that much internal trauma anyway :lol: Interesting that in the scene with her splitting, half the images are someone else.  Ah well, will see this anyway.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

Are you forgetting what the white haired old man said in the ... 2nd movie? That "our" Neo was the sixth iteration of the "anomaly" and what made him different is he had the specific love with Trinity vs. a general love of humanity (as emotional motivation). I think. That old man was nonsense trying to sound like sense.  So seems to me this would be Neo/The One Version 7.0 (and Trinity), except this time around for some reason he has specific vestiges of past-life memory, reasons and instigators unknown.  The mirror scene in the trailer is likely showing what he really looks like in this new/separate/rebooted Matrix this time around, while Keanu is how he sees himself.

...course, I'm just supposing.
...I'm glad this will be on HBO Max.  I'm not super eager to see the film but I'm still curious what they'll do with it/explain some things.
...side note: the CGI of some scenes/bits this time around feel too --- clean, or something. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

31 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Are you forgetting what the white haired old man said in the ... 2nd movie? That "our" Neo was the sixth iteration of the "anomaly" and what made him different is he had the specific love with Trinity vs. a general love of humanity (as emotional motivation). I think. That old man was nonsense trying to sound like sense.  So seems to me this would be Neo/The One Version 7.0 (and Trinity), except this time around for some reason he has specific vestiges of past-life memory, reasons and instigators unknown.  The mirror scene in the trailer is likely showing what he really looks like in this new/separate/rebooted Matrix this time around, while Keanu is how he sees himself.

Actually, yes I did forget all about Revolutions. Like all I said all I recall is Bellucci's cleavage! 😛  But that does sound like a plausible take on it, wonder what is with the guy at the end talking about "The Matrix" is though.

• Haha 1

I'm assuming Matrix 4 will essentially be a soft reboot of sorts. The first movie was great, but once Neo essentially became a God at the end, they tied their own hands for the sequels. There was never any tension in the sequels for anything happening inside The Matrix because Neo was unstoppable, which forced them to spend a lot of time in Zion, which was boring as ****. If Neo is still all-powerful inside The Matrix in this movie then we're right back to the same conundrum.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I don't get the feel from this trailer, but I know there was speculation that the real world was a Matrix as well. So theoretically they could go that direction as well.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

26 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I don't get the feel from this trailer, but I know there was speculation that the real world was a Matrix as well. So theoretically they could go that direction as well.

At that point they might as well go to the snow level. :-

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

44 minutes ago, Amentep said:

That's what I always thought. There's the world-as-we-think-we-know-it Matrix and the grungy "real world" matrix that Zion folk see, that the AI dumps all anomalies/non-accepting minds in to control their inevitable rebellions outcome. Program within a program.  And if that is true, we the audience can't even be sure if those rows and rows of human batteries and anything else Neo saw are "real."  The AI may have some other mechanism entirely for harnessing human energy, or even a different reason entirely for wanting to keep humans alive.  You could go in all directions if you wanted.  Maybe the scorched sky is healing now and there are different factions of "AI" that want different goals for humans.  Edit: or! there is no scorched sky and humans were kidnapped by alien-AI and they're not even on Earth.  😛

And yeah, I see this film as a sort of reboot, too. Except this time around looks like Trinity has some level of superpowers too.

Edit: P.S., I'm really only a fan of the first movie. I remember a few certain pivotal scenes from the other two (partly because of net discussions/videos) but not much else.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My expectations for a new Matrix movie are tempered by the abject failures that Reloaded and Revolutions were, and how wonderful Jupiter Ascending turned out to be. At this point, the Wachowskis' track record puts them in the same league as David S. Goyer, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.

• Like 3
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Martyrs (2008). Uh. Yeah. So...let's never watch French psychological horror about

Spoiler

human trafficking, abuse, and extreme long-term torture

ever again, mkay? I had to watch approximately half of the movie with either my eyes closed or my hands over my ears, and sometimes both.

Spoiler

Worst part is, the movie could've ended at pretty much exactly the halfway mark and it would've been complete as a story unto itself, but no, there had to be an entire second act where things got so much worse.

I'm going to go back to the anime thread where everything is smiles and rainbows now, thank you very much.

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, kirottu said:

The low cost Morpheus kinda worries me.

The going theory is they're counting the story aspects of Matrix Online as cannon, in which original Morpheus was killed.  Also that this Morpheus may be the previous Morpheus's and Niobe's son.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The bigger question is what happened between the Wachowskis' and Laurence Fishburne for them to stipulate that the writers for Matrix Online could do anything with the story as long as they killed Morpheus.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 9/9/2021 at 4:17 PM, majestic said:

Jupiter Ascending

Y'know, I had managed to forget that movie existed. Until now.  Thanks.  :p

5 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Y'know, I had managed to forget that movie existed. Until now.  Thanks.  :p

To be fair, you have to be impressed by the art and design of that movie..  and Eddie Redmayne's gloriously throw himself at the ham of it all.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Best part of that Matrix trailer was the music! 😍

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 9/11/2021 at 2:31 AM, Raithe said:

Eddie Redmayne's gloriously throw himself at the ham of it all.

He was my main motivation for renting that movie (that and it being "sci-fi/fantasy"), because I liked his performance a lot in Les Miserable as was interested in keeping an eye on his career for a bit. Sadly I haven't really liked any of the movies (that I've seen, or lack of interest in the topic so I didn't watch) that he's been in since. Including Fantastic Beasts (only tried watching the first one).  Edit: and yeah, I guess the art/design was ... eye-catching, at least.

11 hours ago, Gorth said:

Best part of that Matrix trailer was the music!

I totally agree with this. First few notes played and I was all "Perfect!"

Edited by LadyCrimson