The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

14 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

And what appears to be cowboy/heeled boots.
They don't look like tight jeans at least. Needed a belt to keep them up, even.  :shifty:

70's jeans, not skinny jeans.. 

Although to be fair, even if my jeans are fairly waist fitting, I still put a belt in, I just don't need to cinch it up tightly. It feels wrong to leave the house without a belt on.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

So I guess we won't see anymore ScarJo in the MCU

e: I watched it on streaming :shrugz:

am ok with such an end. the black widow character were always kinda "meh" for us, and the weird hulk thing they were forcing on her did not improve our opinion.

truth to tell, we were kinda indifferent 'bout scarlett johansson as an actress until recent. lost in translation and isle of dogs (a voice acting part) were our two favorite s.johansson roles... up until we saw jojo rabbitt. like the movie or hate it, but johansson were quirky and funny and vulnerable and strong. she stole scenes. she were fantastic.

get her out o' the mcu is fine by us. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The problem with the Black Widow character is that she's essentially invulnerable to damage. Compare that to Atomic Blonde where Charlize Theron goes through a lengthy and extremely brutal fight. Halfway through the fight she's battered, bruised, bleeding profusely, and can barely stand up, which makes the fight visceral and tense. As soon as I see ScarJo get literally exploded through a building and walk away without so much as a single scratch on her my brain says "nothing matters."

:shrugz:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

28 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

The problem with the Black Widow character is that she's essentially invulnerable to damage. Compare that to Atomic Blonde where Charlize Theron goes through a lengthy and extremely brutal fight. Halfway through the fight she's battered, bruised, bleeding profusely, and can barely stand up, which makes the fight visceral and tense. As soon as I see ScarJo get literally exploded through a building and walk away without so much as a single scratch on her my brain says "nothing matters."

:shrugz:

They never played it up in the MCU, but comic-wise as I recall, there was something about the Red Room used a watered-down stolen version of the Captain America super-serum on Black Widow as part and parcel of the process of training / conditioning them.

Saint Maud (2019). Religious horror/thriller: kind of disappointing? Nurse is convinced she must save her very sinful patient from the clutches of hell. Film leaned too heavily on quick cuts and CGI to drive home certain critical scenes and IDK, just felt kind of goofy and weird to me. Seems like it wanted to be a The Witch but didn't quite get the memo on less being more and staying as grounded as you possibly can given the subject material. Just didn't quite come together for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Columbiana.

Vaguely disappointing.   Zoe Saldana is great as the young girl who grew up into a trained killer after her family is killed by a cartel leader. With some good names as supporting cast.  Plus the fact that the script did start out as a sequel to Leon (The Professional) and the grown up Matilda is kind of interesting and potentially hopeful. Apparently due to rights issues it ended up being reworked to a stand-alone thing. But yeesh, somehow it ends in a fairly mediocre film with standard plot bumps. Shots of Zoe gracefully bypassing security and the editing technique there is good, but any actual combat is lacklustre and not particularly engaging.

But to top it off, the end sequence and method of killing the cartel leader just made her character unsympathetic to me. It went from the slight anti-hero dark edge to  just, utterly ****ty behavior - kind of abusive to animals.

THE GREEN KNIGHT (2021) - surprisingly faithful art film like take on the source material. Very striking images. There are some minor changes (in the original story, Gawain's early adventures are glossed over, yet they are seen here. This shortens the time in the later part of the story and there is some restructuring of the end.

The biggest change, IMO,

is that Gawain's mom is changed from Morgause to Morgan Le Fay, and while it doesn't alter the overall story (and follows a long tradition of confusing the two in Arthurian works), it does alter the motivation in summoning the Knight

WILLY'S WONDERLAND (2020) - Nick Cage gets an odd job in order to repair his car, and spends the night cleaning a restaurant.  Some teens bother him and the local sheriff dislikes him. 10/10.

RISE OF THE MUMMY (2021) - microbudgeted horror film from the UK. The kind of film where a priceless mummy is left unguarded in a classroom and characters look straight at things but don't see them for a scare later on. Fun if you like this type of film, terrible for everyone else.

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 minutes ago, Amentep said:

WILLY'S WONDERLAND (2020) - Nick Cage gets an odd job in order to repair his car, and spends the night cleaning a restaurant.  Some teens bother him and the local sheriff dislikes him. 10/10.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Also, interesting callout:

The armour of House Atreides, whose crest is the hawk...

E79O9ErWYAEJeXT?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

Another "old" callback...

Brotherhood of the Wolf Blu-ray Review: French Martial Arts Monster Movie (gizmodo.com)

"There’s so much going on, Brotherhood of the Wolf should be an absolute mess, but the film has such complete confidence in itself that it works—again, as if a historical epic/martial arts flick/conspiracy thriller/romance/mystery/monster movie set in 18th-century France is the most natural genre in the world."

A darn good atmospheric soundtrack as well if I recall.

7 hours ago, Raithe said:

Another "old" callback...

Brotherhood of the Wolf Blu-ray Review: French Martial Arts Monster Movie (gizmodo.com)

"There’s so much going on, Brotherhood of the Wolf should be an absolute mess, but the film has such complete confidence in itself that it works—again, as if a historical epic/martial arts flick/conspiracy thriller/romance/mystery/monster movie set in 18th-century France is the most natural genre in the world."

vid

A darn good atmospheric soundtrack as well if I recall.

am not gonna claim brotherhood of the wolf is a good movie. we will offer the two word summation as to why we purchased tickets to watch and did not feel cheated:

monica bellucci.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On that tangential movie link...

Disney Reportedly Pays Comics Creators $5,000 for Work Adapted (gizmodo.com)

According to the Guardian’s sources, Marvel’s standard approach to compensating writers or artists when their work appears in a Marvel Studios film is a flat $5,000 check along with an invitation to the film premiere. Writer Ed Brubaker—who along with artist Steve Epting, colorist Frank D’Armata, and letterer Randy Gentile, crafted the Captain America comics run that defined the Winter Soldier—previously spoke fairly openly about how he basically made nothing from the character’s jump to the MCU in multiple films and his own streaming series.

5 hours ago, Amentep said:

video

well, that was something. bruce campbell is getting too old for this kinda thing?

HA! Good Fun!

Suicide Squad.

Gory, some entertaining. Definitely not the usual DC fare, can see some of the shades of Guardians in it, but not too much. I think it's going to fall into that category of "Good for a viewing, but doubt I'll watch it more than once unless it happens to be on in the background."

On 8/6/2021 at 7:30 PM, Gromnir said:

am not gonna claim brotherhood of the wolf is a good movie. we will offer the two word summation as to why we purchased tickets to watch and did not feel cheated:

monica bellucci.

HA! Good Fun!

I've lose count on how many times I've seen that movie honestly. I think I've ruined the VHS tape I had of it, and then watched it even more once I had a digital copy of it.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Nomadland (2020). Oddball film about a lady who lost everything but her van and turned into an automobile nomad that lives and travels around in said van. Almost makes me want to do the same...until I remember how difficult that would actually be.

28 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Nomadland (2020). Oddball film about a lady who lost everything but her van and turned into an automobile nomad that lives and travels around in said van. Almost makes me want to do the same...until I remember how difficult that would actually be.

Yeah, like for starters it's illegal to sleep in your car in a lot of places. If the movie didn't feature her getting harassed by the popo then it isn't realistic. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands