The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

Have you watched his 50 hour documentation on movie making yet?

bdFs-Jy8F3PF73ojtkbZGJlU_WUVV7pxVU8AKZaj

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Pig (2021). To my great shame, this was actually a pretty good movie. I normally can't stand Nicholas Cage, but he did good here.

Hide contents

It's a film that seems to set itself up as a revenge movie that then sensibly averts itself in favor of kindness and empathy without feeling mushy or silly.

The RLM video on it made me want to check it out. Is it streaming anywhere or in theaters only?

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Pig (2021). To my great shame, this was actually a pretty good movie. I normally can't stand Nicholas Cage, but he did good here.

Reveal hidden contents

It's a film that seems to set itself up as a revenge movie that then sensibly averts itself in favor of kindness and empathy without feeling mushy or silly.

our pov is similar but different.

it isn't as if nicholas cage sudden became a bad actor. doesn't shock us when he does good work. 

nicholas cage is an indiscriminate actor. doesn't shock us at all when he does a bad movie.

am recalling kick-ass were the first movie cage did after his taxes problem. is one o' the more unique superhero films and am thinking cage were actual underappreciated in that movie 'cause so many fixate on chloë moretz. nothing stopped cage from doing good movies save for fact he stopped seeming to care if he did bad movies and so he got a rep as kinda a b-movie punchline. 

cage alone will not sell us on a movie, so am invariably waiting for multiple other people to offer themselves as guinea pigs before we consider wasting a couple hours on a nicholas cage movie. have heard good things 'bout pig. will watch eventual.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I ain't even gonna hate on Nic Cage for getting into financial problems. You wanna talk about living your best life? My man bought a castle and dinosaurs skulls. That's some Bond villain $#!+. Respect.

• Haha 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

The RLM video on it made me want to check it out. Is it streaming anywhere or in theaters only?

Yeah, I got a few minutes through their video, heard Jay say "probably my favorite movie since The Witch", heard Mike say "yeah, I loved it too", and was like, okay, guess I'll go watch this even though it looks like a complete joke and finish the review later.

In regards to streaming it, this is really strange, because I figured it was just widely available but currently for a price...but no, literally the only place I see where it's available to stream online is from just my local internet/cable company's on demand service for like $6, :shrugz:. Not on HBO, Prime, Netflix, Hulu, or anywhere else that I can see.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

18 minutes ago, Amentep said:

If nothing else, it's better than the Ghostbusters 2016 trailer. Granted, that's not exactly a high bar to clear; 2 1/2 minutes of static would be better than the Ghostbusters 2016 trailer.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

35 minutes ago, Amentep said:

vid

nepotism offends our sensibilities. nevertheless, am thinking is kinda kewl a story so much focused on egon spengler's grandkids should be directed by a reitman and that a bernstein is contributing to the score. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That Ghostbusters looks pretty dang fun. I'm excited for it.

Of course, I didn't react with some weird abhorrence to the 2016 film. It was a pretty standard comedy that didn't really fit the tone of the originals. It was just goofy and filled with gags, and the story was forgettable. I'd say it is pretty easy to forget it as part of the Ghostbusters universe. 

7 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

That Ghostbusters looks pretty dang fun. I'm excited for it.

Of course, I didn't react with some weird abhorrence to the 2016 film. It was a pretty standard comedy that didn't really fit the tone of the originals. It was just goofy and filled with gags, and the story was forgettable. I'd say it is pretty easy to forget it as part of the Ghostbusters universe. 

There should really be a puking or skull or something emote reaction for occasions such as these.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

13 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

There should really be a puking or skull or something emote reaction for occasions such as these.

A facepalm would be nice. 

Spoiler

But then Bruno and Stjepan would "win" every day they post. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yes, on second thought, the lack of "negative" emoticons is pretty wise: ignoring is much more effective.

Spoiler

Ignoring individual posts that is, not users. ...Well, the latter too, but I didn't mean to imply that specifically here, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

I thought the Picard facepalm screencapture was the unofficial forum facepalm image.:shifty:

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I thought the Picard facepalm screencapture was the unofficial forum facepalm image.:shifty:

tenor.gif

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Just use this

b3d9ac21bba9134c8d4046dd297c26ca.jpg

2 hours ago, majestic said:

A facepalm would be nice. 

Hide contents

But then Bruno and Stjepan would "win" every day they post. 

Bruno and Stjepan in the.....never mind.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I've always been partial to this:

Tommy-Lee-Jones-in-No-Country-for-Old-Me

For a "seriously?" reaction.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Ok, who the **** are Bruno and Stjepan? 😂

Two characters in a short story best left forgotten, for only madness and suffering lay ahead.

7 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I've always been partial to this:

Tommy-Lee-Jones-in-No-Country-for-Old-Me

For a "seriously?" reaction.

I used to use that, but I think Stephen has more hostility to him and works better for really bad opinions.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

https://gfycat.com/alertheftyamericanrobin

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

:x:yucky::skull:

Just combine them. I'll get your drift. :p

I was more thinking I'd want an actual reaction emote, like you can do in the bottom right of other people's posts, for posts that are so inexplicably terrible that they warrant no response, just that look of disgust or outright death, :yes:.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Some say you can still find traces of them in the darkest depths of these forums...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Seek not wickedness amongst your fellow forumites, lest it finds purchase in your own posts.

40 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Some say you can still find traces of them in the darkest depths of these forums...

But you raised your gaze to the sun, and as its light flooded your being, the light of your own eyes diminished. Now you are all but blind to these depths, only whispers and rumors left. Knowledge of what once was, but shall never be seen again. Only we are left to stare into that darkness, and we do it gladly.

As it should be.

As it must be.

Spoiler

I think I understand Ikuhara a little better now. It sure sucks sitting at the receiving end of an in-joke, but being part of it? That's pretty fun. I'm guessing that also makes me a bit of a hypocrite after complaining about it.

Well, that's just something I have to live with. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

29 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I was more thinking I'd want an actual reaction emote, like you can do in the bottom right of other people's posts, for posts that are so inexplicably terrible that they warrant no response, just that look of disgust or outright death, :yes:.

we avoid emotes, but conan's response to thulsa doom bs works for us.

tumblr_inline_o6vv8knjwc1roifue_640.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

we avoid emotes, but conan's response to thulsa doom bs works for us.

tumblr_inline_o6vv8knjwc1roifue_640.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

I used to hate the emote reactions, but then I learned that they're actually good for either acknowledging someone's post without having to directly respond (especially where a response wouldn't really be necessary outside of the acknowledgement itself) OR for when you forget to actually quote what someone said and you want to make sure they're given some kind of alert. Because of that, I got more into the habit of using them, :).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

^ More Ghostbusters movies? 😶 Well, at least this one has Paul Rudd in it. Although I assume it's a smallish role since I'd guess it'll mostly be those kids. Still ... Paul Rudd.

Might be all right.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts