The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

Started watching "Three spec ops ninja pirates musketeers", got instantly and passionately rooting for team Leeloo-Landa-Legolas, had to stop watching because didn't wanna see them lose. Sorry Titus Pullo, love you man but everyone else on your team were insufferable. :down:

• Thanks 1

To me, it felt like everyone was enjoying themselves in that version of the Three Musketeers, embracing a certain steampunk campness, Orlando in particular seemed to just going full-tilt chew the scenery, twirl the moustache villainy. That combined with some quite entertaining fight choreography was worth the watch.

But it sounds like you missed the end sequence which kind of left the film hanging on a potential cliffhanger.

On other matters that might be mildly interesting to a few folks:

https://filmschoolrejects.com/dances-with-wolves-native-lens/

Or "What do John J. Dunbar and every sad white guy in romantic dramedies have in common?"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Whiplash (2014). Decent enough movie about how hard some musicians are pushed in order to be great, but really, I think J.K. Simmons was born to play anti-villains.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

“I must not hype. Hype is the mind-killer. Hype is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face the hype. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the hype has gone there will be nothing. Only the film will remain.” - The Litany

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

Even if the movie is good and gets sequels, what about after book 4 or even with book 4. I don't know how many fans there are of the later books, I certainly dropped it after the fourth one.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Well remember, the film as is it only half of the first book.

So, film 2 will equal the remaining half of Dune.

Potentially that could be the model they'd go forward with if they thought about it as a franchise. But even then that could be troublesome.   They'd need Chalamet to age a bit before they could have him doing Children of Dune...

The Assistant (2019). A simple little film that is just a look at one day in the life of an assistant at some big company working for a crappy boss (though interestingly, said boss is literally never shown, and I greatly appreciated that because it allowed the film to not be obnoxious and instead focus more on the main character). Lot of stylistic and even some thematic similarities to Jeanne Dielmann (I didn't expect to bring this one up again so soon, but here we are): if you like super boring films where basically nothing happens and instead you're just given a look at someone's life and the issues surrounding it in a flat, realistic manner with no expectation of any kind of grand resolution, then this is great. I actually liked this one a lot more than Jeanne Dielmann - lot more personable main character, a bit more direct plot that shows more of what's going on, and visually a little more cinematic. Dielmann was a bit too realistic for me, so this was more up my alley.

(e): Oh, also, it's only an hour and a half-long, as opposed to Jeanne Dielmann's THREE AND A HALF HOURS, so there's that as well, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

That one is on my "films I might like and come recommended by Jay" list. :yes:

I'll probably watch it in two years or so, given how long that list is and how much else I have to finish first...

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

That one is on my "films I might like and come recommended by Jay" list. :yes:

I'll probably watch it in two years or so, given how long that list is and how much else I have to finish first...

Jay has a few different types of recommendations that I know of - specifically, I try to watch the "boring" ones (e.g. this) and the "offbeat/weird" ones (e.g. Censor recently). He has other types of films he recommends, but I'm not as much into the "horrific perverted nightmare" ones as much, :shrugz:.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

14 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Jay has a few different types of recommendations that I know of - specifically, I try to watch the "boring" ones (e.g. this) and the "offbeat/weird" ones (e.g. Censor recently). He has other types of films he recommends, but I'm not as much into the "horrific perverted nightmare" ones as much, :shrugz:.

Yeah, I hard pass on the cannibal stuff too. :)

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

54 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

39 minutes ago, majestic said:

Yeah, I hard pass on the cannibal stuff too. :)

:ban:

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Jay Bauman is into some movies that are too sick and revolting for even my perverted and depraved tastes. :x

And I'm a disgusting degenerate!

Edited by Keyrock
  • Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

15 hours ago, Raithe said:

“I must not hype. Hype is the mind-killer. Hype is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face the hype. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the hype has gone there will be nothing. Only the film will remain.” - The Litany

I still have the vain hope it will suck, just to enjoy the tears. 

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I still find myself very unexcited by the new Dune. The trailer has pretty/nice visual stuff, like almost all blockbuster films do these days, but it doesn't really excite me as a trailer. Plus I remember how excited I was for that original movie version way way back.  Jurgen Prochnow seemed perfectly cast, for example.

Could it all eventually be a case of finally filming the impossible (ala LotR)? Sure. But I refuse to get excited until I've seen the last frame of this new Dune.

Unrelated to the above: did someone post this already at some point? At any rate, I'm going to post it now. It was a pretty good edit of the '84 trailer to try to "compare"/match the first '21 trailer.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

I still have the vain hope it will suck, just to enjoy the tears. 

I'm not fanboy enough about Dune that it would hurt me if it sucks. The biggest pain would be seeing Oscar Isaac's talent wasted (again). If Foundation winds up sucking that will hurt me a lot more.

• Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That Dune comparison mostly shows how gray everything is in the new one.

• Hmmm 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I'm not fanboy enough about Dune that it would hurt me if it sucks. The biggest pain would be seeing Oscar Isaac's talent wasted (again). If Foundation winds up sucking that will hurt me a lot more.

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

That Dune comparison mostly shows how gray everything is in the new one.

Here is the official trailer, you cant tell me it doesnt look amazing. I cant wait, Day 1 watch for sure :thumbsup:

Our brains dont absorb or process data effectively  when you present data like the 2 trailers next to each. Its not how  most people would objectively understand things like a video and then comment

Rather watch the trailers separately and then see what you think 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Midsommar (2019). It was fine. Kind of knew how almost everything (almost, but not quite) everything would go from the very beginning after you figure out the premise, so not very many surprises, but even with that said, I guess it was a pretty film and executed well enough. Characters kind of left me wanting for more, though. Eh.

Twisted Pair. 

Q: What's better than Neil Breen?

A: 2 Neil Breens

In a SHOCKING departure ftom his previous films, Neil plays an evolved being here to stop the evil and corrupt ruining the world. Neil plays twin brothers Cade and Cale who were chosen by aliens to receive superpowers. Cade then merged with AI to gain further superpowers while Cale was stripped of his powers because apparently he wasn't a badass enough secret agent, so he became a drug addict vigilante.

Neil has been relying on digital effects more and more over time, and let me tell you, these effects have to be seen to be believed. "Seamless" doesn't even begin to do these effects justice. 

This may be the most nonsensical of Neil's movies, and believe me, that's a bold statement. There are scenes that have no purpose I can glean. They just happen and then we're somwhere else in no way, shape, or form related, and it's like what? Why? 

Anyway, this concludes my Neil Breen Vision Quest... For now. I'm pretty sure Neil has begun working on his next movie. When it's done I'll be buying another laser printed DVD in a plain jewel case from him.

• Gasp! 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

18 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Twisted Pair.

I am just glad the movie wasn't about a testicular injury.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

20 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Twisted Pair. 

Q: What's better than Neil Breen?

A: 2 Neil Breens

In a SHOCKING departure ftom his previous films, Neil plays an evolved being here to stop the evil and corrupt ruining the world. Neil plays twin brothers Cade and Cale who were chosen by aliens to receive superpowers. Cade then merged with AI to gain further superpowers while Cale was stripped of his powers because apparently he wasn't a badass enough secret agent, so he became a drug addict vigilante.

Neil has been relying on digital effects more and more over time, and let me tell you, these effects have to be seen to be believed. "Seamless" doesn't even begin to do these effects justice. 

This may be the most nonsensical of Neil's movies, and believe me, that's a bold statement. There are scenes that have no purpose I can glean. They just happen and then we're somwhere else in no way, shape, or form related, and it's like what? Why? 

Anyway, this concludes my Neil Breen Vision Quest... For now. I'm pretty sure Neil has begun working on his next movie. When it's done I'll be buying another laser printed DVD in a plain jewel case from him.

Have you watched his 50 hour documentation on movie making yet?

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

Have you watched his 50 hour documentation on movie making yet?

It's something like $150, I'll pass.:p

• Haha 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Pig (2021). To my great shame, this was actually a pretty good movie. I normally can't stand Nicholas Cage, but he did good here.

Spoiler

It's a film that seems to set itself up as a revenge movie that then sensibly averts itself in favor of kindness and empathy without feeling mushy or silly.

• Like 3