The All-Things Cinema thread

Amentep

I really love the 50s sci-fi and creature feature style posters:

medium-cover.jpg 6ce40cbc2042c8a5daa98418bbbfdce7--planet a2567edf9ad73b9618bc5986d947ad8b.jpg

It's too bad we don't get posters like this much any more.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have a t-shirt with the Forbidden Planet poster on it.

Unfortunately, most movie posters these days is digital art that uses publicity photos made for online use since there really isn't the old style print and walk-by advertising like in the old days. 

• Sad 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, it's a lot easier to whip up some junk like this:

MV5BNjk2ODQzNDYxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTcy

Fine movie, but that is some really lazy "art". Plus, it's the movie I blame for the tired back to back rom com trope.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I have a t-shirt with the Forbidden Planet poster on it.

Unfortunately, most movie posters these days is digital art that uses publicity photos made for online use since there really isn't the old style print and walk-by advertising like in the old days. 

The downfall of traditional movie posters is pretty despicable. There are many older movies whose conceptual poster(s) gave off such specific vibes and themes that they immediately interested me in watching them, and they were very often surprisingly accurate and true to that, making the artistry even more impressive. Sadly, even on the rare occasion I see art in a poster for something new(er), the artistry seems to simply no longer be there as it used to be. Oh well.

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I watched I Am Here....Now and Pass Thru. I didn't plan it that way, but it worked out well to watch these movies back to back since they're so similar. I mean, all 4 of Neil Breen's movies I've seen share similar themes, but these 2 in particular almost feel like 2 sides of the same coin, with I Am Here....Now being much lighter and more hopeful and Pass Thru being much darker and more condemning. 

In I Am Here....Now Neil Breen plays, quite literally, God. For whatever reason, at the beginning and the end when he's arriving and leaving Earth he has 2 sticks of RAM glued to his arms and a PCB of some sort glued to his chest. At times he turns into the Nameless One from Planescape: Torment, I guess that's his true form(?) God is the Nameless One... Checks out. Like in all of Neil's movies, he's here to show humanity the right path and to condemn the greedy and corrupt leeching off the masses, but it's more focused on a message of hope and bettering ourselves. He has a pretty fantastic For Your Consideration monologue near the end. From a technical standpoint, this is the best of Neil's movies that I've seen, which isn't saying all that much. I mean, the acting is atrocious and nobody talks like a real person, they just spout exposition in the most blunt manner imaginable, but the cinematography is... ... passable, there are a lot fewer really jarring, horrible cuts than in his other movies.

In Pass Thru Neil plays an AI from the future come to pass judgement on humanity. This movie is a lot darker and a lot more focused on purging the greedy and corrupt from the planet, which has me a bit worried about Neil's mental state and curious to see what he'll be like in Twisted Pair. This movie is a mess, even by Neil Breen standards. It's almost incomprehensible. Neil reaches new levels of incompetence in this movie with some hilariously awful effects and green screen stuff. This also makes Pass Thru his funniest movie with some amazingly hilariously awful acting and just brutal scene transitions, if you could even call them that.

Thankfully, there is no Neil Breen nudity in either movie. I saw enough of Neil's nutsack in Double Down to last a lifetime.

One more movie to go, Twisted Pair, and I will have completed my Neil Breen vision quest. I don't know why I enjoy his movies, they're not nearly as funny or exciting as Miami Connection, for example. They are baffling more than anything and very slow moving at times, but weirdly engaging and fascinating. I don't know how to explain their appeal, but I'm glad Neil keeps making them. Live your dream, Neil.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Started watching Hook last night as it's been forever since I've seen it and my wife has never seen it. I didn't remember it being so long though so at around midnight and an hour and a half of movie watched we had to put a pin in it until tonight.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

For both of the Roger Corman blu rays I ordered they came with double sided covers:

akX3DPZ.jpg

yIGKLob.jpeg

For Forbidden World I will use the theatrical cover despite the fact that I think Allan Holzman's Mutant director's cut is a better version of the movie. For Galaxy of Terror I will use the Mind Warp cover. I mean the theatrical cover is great, but the Mind Warp cover is AMAZING.

More movies should come with double sided covers if the movie went through multiple cover arts/titles, as many movies do.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_(2019_film)

I watched this brilliant movie last night, its not very historically accurate but very entertaining especially if you enjoy movies about the English and their numerous battles with country's like France :thumbsup:

Go UK Monarchy !!!!

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

I like those 80s Boris Vallejo covers for crap fantasy movies. If only the content fit the cover.

gNY2Ku6.png

Hoonding do you think this type of advertising objectifies women in an inordinately licentious  way ?

I dont think so, I cant understand how being liberated can be a negative :shrugz:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Riders of Justice - rented via Amazon
---Liam's latest may have disappointed me but Mads Mikkelsen did not! I watched subtitled, there is a dubbed version for rent.
Trailer and description are going to make it sound like a Taken-style revenge action movie, but it's much more chr. based than a US film. Barely any action (by US standards...) and what there is is short and to the point (vs. Hollywood's stylized/drawn out style), which I rather liked.  Is also darkly humorous in spots. It's not a masterpiece, but enjoyable and I liked it.

Another Round - rented via Amazon (only 99 cents!)
---this was in my list for a while. Finally got around to it. Apparently it won a bunch of awards. I think it deserved them. What a great little drama film. Relatable, sad, funny, uplifting.  That's all I feel like saying about it, there are plenty of reviews/descriptions around.
---apparently Leo DiCaprio is already slated for the US redo of it.  Leo's no Mads, but I can sort of see him in the role, actually, but ... sigh. Whatever. My opinion, at least see the original first, if you haven't already.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

14 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

apparently Leo DiCaprio is already slated for the US redo of it

I've only seen a couple of Mads Mikkelsen films (The Hunt and...something else?), and my opinion of him and the kinds of roles he can play (especially with his particular kind of presence) is already significantly higher than that of Leonardo DiCaprio. Do not want. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:07 AM, Raithe said:

Big trouble in little China is just awesome entertainment 👍

• Thanks 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's funny how my attitude toward CGI has changed over the years. When it first started appearing in movies I was excited, even when it looked like $#!+. The CGI got better and entire action setpieces were made mostly in CGI and at first I was blown away, then just plain happy to see a giant CGI action scene, then it was whatever, now I'm at the point that giant CGI setpieces are a turn off. I've begun actively avoiding movies with giant CGI action scenes.

I though about checking out Black Widow because, out of all the Avengers, she doesn't have any laser beam superpowers, she just kicks and shoots people. So I figured maybe this movie will be all practical action, like a John Wick movie, for example. Then I found out it has a giant CGI action scene with tons of SPLOSHUNS. It's a Marvel movie, of course it does, what was I thinking? 

Anyway, I'll give it a pass. All the reviews I've seen are lukewarm on it.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

From the RLM review of it, it sounds like the big action CGI snoozefest crap in Black Window was somehow WORSE than usual. And she's supposed to be a martial artist, but she doesn't actually do any martial arts? That's like having Spiderman not sling any webs...how lazy can can the movie get? :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

From the RLM review of it, it sounds like the big action CGI snoozefest crap in Black Window was somehow WORSE than usual. And she's supposed to be a martial artist, but she doesn't actually do any martial arts? That's like having Spiderman not sling any webs...how lazy can can the movie get? :p

You shouldn't ask questions you don't want the answers to.

Like Keyrock, I've pretty much become hostile to CGI. I'll get my ****ty rendering from my videogames, thank you very much.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm trying to think what the last "big" live-action blockbuster movie that I've seen was, since I literally never watch stuff like that anymore. I was forced to watch the horrid live action Beauty and the Beast a few years back? ...But that still came out in like 2017, so even that's still some time ago. Emma Watson in a singing role when she can't sing, what brilliant decision-making on the part of Disney. ...Most of The Force Awakens? Oh my, that was in 2015 - hard to believe that was that long ago already. Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go back to watching that kind of crap anytime soon.