Hi All

This forum has been an excellent resource. Big thank you to all the regulars here.

I just started a TCS with SC Forbidden Fist run. I’ve have 3 main questions 

1) Which potions / scrolls are worth using? In POE 1, my go to load out was scroll of defence, flask of war paint, Lengrath’s Displaced Image, Ironskin. It made me extremely tanky. I can’t seem to find the right combination in PoE2. 

2) are any of the bombs and poisons worth using? 

3) How do I stockpile ingredients? The vendors seem very sparse and random. In PoE 1, I could just visit the market and scriveners + upgrade Caed Nua for almost unlimited crafting.

Minor rant: Did Obsidian have to nerf every good skill from PoE1? 😂 Torment’s Reach, Dragon Thresh, Carnage, Interdiction are all pale shadows of their former self. Really makes it hard for a POE1 player to transition. Grrr!! 

If you play "just" a regular TCS without Magran's Fires, scrolls of withdraw and potions of invisibility are extremely useful, since they reset a fight completely.

(If your positioning is right you will also be able to stealth and completely refill resources).

Just for the sake of boosting your combat capabilities potion of ascension is by far the most powerful, closely followed by insubstantial form for tankiness and perfect aim for offense.

A lot of the other potions like spirit shield can be very good too, however the stacking in this game is very restricted so with those type of potions you have to be very aware if any of your actives already supplies you with a stat that might not stack with a potion.

Bombs and poisons are very situational and got nerfed heavily, they are not required, you might miss out by not using them, but I don't use them and am doing mostly fine. 😛

Ingredients are mostly aquired the same way than in Poe 1 as far as merchants go, you don't have Caed Nua for growing your own ingredients, but buying from merchants is as effective, traveling is just more lenghty so it is easier to just reset Neketaka merchants by resting for 2 days.

The skills aren't really nerfed compared to Poe1, the whole class and ability system is just different and takes getting used to.

A poe1 char will never be as powerful as a Poe2 char but the enemies in Poe2 have FAR more hp (some random mobs in Po2 have similar hp to "bosses" on poe1) and since the AR system is very intimidating at first abilities will feel weak if you fight while being relatively undergeared/leveled.

Unique items are just insanely powerful in deadfire, so once you have certain pieces of gear and a char customized to work with those you will feel very strong.

The forbidden fist is a very good example, you can get unlimited resources without any form of brilliant cheese, but ofc nothings stopping you from getting brilliant on top of that.

Combine this with whispers of the wind and you become an unstoppable powerhouse, it just takes time to get there.

(but can be done entirely without combat if you so wish)

thank you! I will try out those potions.

Yea! Just I got used to the confusing stacking system in POE1. Now I have another 1 to get used to. It seems that stats now all stack when they didn’t use to. Does Spirit Shield stack with Iron Wheel? How do I check? 

does Brilliant regenerate wounds or only mortification? Guessing only mortification. It seems the Community Patch nerfed the Brilliant Cloak. it doesn’t trigger from self damage. So I’m not sure how to get it to even trigger now.

Is the herb merchant in Periki the one I should go to if I do a rest reset?

I’m up to level 17 now. Just wondering around the map and doing bounties. I’ve got Devil Breastplate, Taga club, tuotillo palm, lone wanderer ring, + 2 resolve amulet, greater deflection cloak, + 1 dex / res boots, overseeing ring. What’s some good intermediate gear before I go for scordeo’s / keeper of the flame?

1 hour ago, boareder said:

thank you! I will try out those potions.

Yea! Just I got used to the confusing stacking system in POE1. Now I have another 1 to get used to. It seems that stats now all stack when they didn’t use to. Does Spirit Shield stack with Iron Wheel? How do I check? 

does Brilliant regenerate wounds or only mortification? Guessing only mortification. It seems the Community Patch nerfed the Brilliant Cloak. it doesn’t trigger from self damage. So I’m not sure how to get it to even trigger now.

Is the herb merchant in Periki the one I should go to if I do a rest reset?

I’m up to level 17 now. Just wondering around the map and doing bounties. I’ve got Devil Breastplate, Taga club, tuotillo palm, lone wanderer ring, + 2 resolve amulet, greater deflection cloak, + 1 dex / res boots, overseeing ring. What’s some good intermediate gear before I go for scordeo’s / keeper of the flame?

Active abilities usually are on the left side of your level up screen.

So just for an "easy" example let's stay with spirit shield.

Even tho you play monk (I'll get to that in a second) lets take paladin as an example because they have an active and passive for AR.

Exalted Endurance is on the left side and an active, it will not stack with potion of spirit shield or even Gilded Enmity from Goldpacts.

Stoic Steel is on the right and will stack with anything.

Now the problem with deadfire, that to all rules there are exceptions, for example I don't remember 100% if the monk's modal for AR, Iron Wheel, actually counts as an active or not, I do think it does not stack but I don't 100% remember, and this is the case for many modals, unique abilities granted by items (which are named after abilities but do stack with abilities....).

You almost always have to test if something stacks or not, which isn't always reccommended on a TCS save (keep in mind, that in pillars games you can ignore TCS by simply loading a completely different save, this will not give you an exitsave, I would still just create a console toon for testing, its much more practical :P)

Brilliant recovers all resources including wounds (yes its cheesy)

I don't have community patch, but if you use a sc monk you "need" strand of favour for brilliant anyway, as the cloak doesn't last long enough without SoT or WoD.

So you should just use brillant from the gods and strand it, however a FF really doesn't need brilliant, you can either use hyleas talons or blunderbuss modal for resource regen.

Both merchants in Periki sell ingredients, there is also a gem merchant in Serpent's which you need for some recipes.

As to gearbefor Scordeo's sabre, I would just go for the pistol (pickpocket the key if you don't have enough mechanics for chest, lure merchant away from chest with spark cracker (just don't actually hit anyone with the cracker or they will turn hostile :P).

You can either wield the pistol in your offhand and with the right upgrades it will give you recovery stacking) or you can cheese it and just use out of combat with strand for infinite duration.

(not really necessary)

At level 17 you should be able to just kill fire dragon tho, don't you have resonant touch already?

All there is to the fight, keep dragon at distance with Dichtosmth Soul clones and hit the dragon with a blunderbuss for resonance stacks, once it has enough resonance to die just explode it.

Probably best if you practice this with a non tcs console exported clone of your char.

After dragon you unlock scordeo's sabre quite quickly, doesn't take much longer than 5 minutes. 😛

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1