What are you Playing Now: Living the Game Life

The designer's penchant for taking control away from the player to force Artyom through increasingly predictable and contrived situations was detrimental to fun, imo. Too much Resident Evil, too little STALKER.

Also, QTEs were getting old by 2010 already. Do we really need them?

I did enjoy the world building and story quite a bit, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Since I got  Control for free on Epic I started playing it , I am about 3 hours in and I am not sure I am enjoying it  and will finish it. It does remind me Alan Wake so I will play it for  a few more hours and decide 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Remembered I still have Mechanicus, so started on that.  Finished off Sam Peters, Deep Silver has some balls trying to sell that for $10 regular price 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Remembered I still have Mechanicus, so started on that.  Finished off Sam Peters, Deep Silver has some balls trying to sell that for $10 regular price 😛

Malc did you use a Controller or M\KB  when you played Control ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Malc did you use a Controller or M\KB  when you played Control ?

Mouse and keyboard

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 6/16/2021 at 2:35 PM, Wormerine said:

Playing Metro: Exodus. It's alright. I feel the game lost a lot by moving away from the metro setting, but then again I don't think I would like to spend yet another game in there. Already Last Light felt like it was retreading old ground.

I am really bothered by Artiom's silence this time around. I found it awkward at times, but this time he has so much personal interactions with other characters, that it's comical for him to be mute. So much Artiom's internal exositions has to be done through other characters. There is also inconsistency - sometimes the games references/makes a joke about Artiom not saying anything, sometimes other characters seem to pretend that Artiom said something. 🤐

I really liked Metro 2033 when it came out, but it admittedly had a lot of limitations and some story/character jankiness that I was mostly able to forgive at the time. It was by no means Stalker, but it was fun and interesting enough. Tried Last Light for a handful of hours, but they had cranked up the story/character jankiness up to 11 (if given the option in-game to do so, I would like to literally cut off that one girl's head, thanks) and made literally everyone despicably awful while doing horrific retcon rewrites of characters e.g. Khan, not to mention the level design and endless scripted sequences and...ugh. Ending up giving up on the game. Tried Exodus for maybe an hour and a half, preeetty sure I'm done with the series.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hasn't really been anything that caught my eye lately so I've mostly been building in Conan Exiles (still gotta get back to Siptah) and playing Final Fantasy XIV.

Outriders was a bust and appears to be getting the Anthem treatment, which is a tad disappointing as there was some potential there.

After a short break I went back to Druidstone – The Secret of the Menhir Forest from GOG and finished my goal, to complete the game on Hard Difficulty. The difficulty is pretty challenging, and to get all the missions on three stars, the player needs a lot of patience. The only downside of the game is little bit cheesy storytelling, but it pretty much fits the art and the gameplay. I am still missing three star award on one mission, so the next goal to finish is already set 😛 .

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On 6/17/2021 at 12:27 AM, BruceVC said:

Since I got  Control for free on Epic I started playing it , I am about 3 hours in and I am not sure I am enjoying it  and will finish it. It does remind me Alan Wake so I will play it for  a few more hours and decide 

I got to some platform style (sorta) jumping and combat areas, went "is there going to be a lot more of this kind of thing?" and haven't been back to it since. It's an interesting technical and sometimes visual showcase and there were some aspects I did enjoy, but eh ... didn't really capture my imagination. I probably had more "fun" watching other people showcase the funky combat style in videos, because they were good at it and I am not.  :shifty:

Tell me if it suddenly becomes an awesome game halfway through or something, tho. 

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Besides Tales of Legendia, Druidstone, and Assetto Corsa, I am slowly moving forward with the Fairy Fencer F 100 million gold trophy. Today, I hit the 50 million gold milestone today 😄 

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Mechanicus is enjoyable - the characters' dialogues are the most so, didn't pay for it in any case so win-win playing this. 

• Like 1

"Let the righteous words of Machine God be elevated to the eleventh degree!"

Best quote in a 40k game that I can recall :lol:

13 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

Didn't realize there was competition between the series'?

I don't know if there is. However one is a heavily scripted experience with a focus on jump scares, and the other is a more sandbox, free-form, atmosphere based game. I was frequently frustrated by Exodus' faux-open world, in the sense that levels don't even try to conceal the fact that the player is being constantly funneled to where the designer wants them to be in order to trigger the next cutscene or QTE. I'm not saying it's bad design, just that it's not for me and not what I was expecting when going in.

Not sure the chart you posted is on point regarding the fans, but it kinda is when it comes to designing a survival horror game.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:10 AM, LadyCrimson said:

I got to some platform style (sorta) jumping and combat areas, went "is there going to be a lot more of this kind of thing?" and haven't been back to it since. It's an interesting technical and sometimes visual showcase and there were some aspects I did enjoy, but eh ... didn't really capture my imagination. I probably had more "fun" watching other people showcase the funky combat style in videos, because they were good at it and I am not.  :shifty:

Tell me if it suddenly becomes an awesome game halfway through or something, tho. 

My gaming experience is definitely  improved, I started using M\KB and I started using the telekinesis attack more effectively and it is fun

I am more comfortable with the overall combat but I wont recommend it yet after your past experience, its fun so far but not great. I will give another update when I have spent more time 8)

John Milton 

30 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I played the Wartales demo, which is described by some as Battle Brothers with legs.

That looks pretty good. Developer seems to have a good track record, so I look forward to seeing it on release.

Edit: Oh, I was grinding through Phoenix Point, but finally gave up and started cheating to get to the end. I do enjoy that the game takes the Long War approach to the campaign, but eventually the missions start to get stale and I just don't want to gather crates on resource missions anymore.

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Thanks 1

Dev reply to someone asking on steam whether it was Battle Brother with legs:

Wartales features a very sophisticated leg system at launch, with the ability to walk, run and stand (amongst a number of other actions that require legs) all supported and playing an important role in both the story and overall gameplay.
We hope you enjoy the game and the tireless work of our dedicated leg team, who are still yet to be allowed to sleep.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Everyone should be allowed to skip leg day

• Like 1

I've been trying out the Death Trash demo. I'm not sure how to feel about it yet. The world is weird, it's cyberpunk-ish but also kind of disgusting with piles of flesh just lying about everywhere. I'm a bit worn out on the retro pixelated aesthetic, unless the pixel art is really high quality, which it's not; it's not terrible pixel art, but it's nothing special either. I'll give it this, the demo has grabbed my attention enough after roughly an hour that I'll play it some more.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Moving along in Mechanicus, my poor servitors keep getting waxed but it's fun to motor through large groups of Necrons.  Is a fun mad rush to get an Immortal down though, they always pop up when I've not displaced enough.