What are you Playing Now: Living the Game Life

Controller is only better in one instance of Overlord 2, where you have to run your spider minions in circles along the walls of a tower or something like that. There the stick controls are better.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Due to some work pressures and studying I dont want to commit to any game that may distract me for the next 2 weeks so I am not playing anything that is a fantasy  RPG of any kind 

I am messing around with Sunless Sea, I am not sure I understand or enjoy it yet but I will know by Sunday as I plan to give it at least 4 hours. I have spent 1 hour so far

Has anyone played this game and what did you think?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I never got past the start because I have no idea what the game wants from me. If I explore I don't get enough income, if I do a job and RNG sends me too far away I burn more fuel than I can buy, etc etc.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Oner said:

I never got past the start because I have no idea what the game wants from me. If I explore I don't get enough income, if I do a job and RNG sends me too far away I burn more fuel than I can buy, etc etc.

Im in the same boat .....excuse the pun

Anyway I plan to put some effort in today, 4 hours or so to see if the game makes sense on an entertainment level. I am using a Steam game guide to understand the basic rules and mechanics 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Okay I can now comment with conviction that Sunless Sea is fun and offers a real entertainment factor

The key to this for me was understanding the gaming mechanics and accepting outcomes like death are part of the game. But in summary you can gain money, which is critical to survival to buy fuel and goods, by just visiting unusual islands and then reporting this to the Admiralty in London. This is a just one way you survive in the game around increasing your revenue stream

And then combat is  necessary and once you understand how that works it is also fun. The writing has levels of complexity and humor and I appreciate that 

So its a perfect distraction for the next 2 weeks while I focus on RL pressures :thumbsup:

• Like 1

John Milton 

I just got air from RL myself, but still in the middle of limited time for anything ... I defaulted back to POE1 for the few spare hours I had, nice just to cruise through the game on autopilot I intentionally chose no to bump the difficulty for higher level content and am not playing it on the harder difficulty so getting to enjoy the story a lot more. Now am interested in Wildermyth more, was debating but now I might pick it up. 

Edit:

For some reason I keep thinking about a sequel to Disco Elysium, did I read somewhere they started working on the sequel?

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

finally replay deadfire

after reinstall os game are very unstable in full screen for some reason

really hope some sidekick will return in poe3 as companion

rekke vatnir and fassina might be very entertaining first three companion for a game

I'm really enjoying Assassin's Creed Rogue. All I wanted this game to be is Black Flag 2, and that's exactly what it is. All the Abstergo stuff sucks, but that's par for the course for AssCreed and is only a small bother that occasionally interrupts my pirate power fantasy.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Realize I got the DLC for Mechanicus but never actually played any of them, so I guess I need to run through the game again. Killing time in FM18, Brno won the 2022/23 season and did so unbeaten.  Think I'll find a new challenge, not sure what country to go to - maybe Italy.

As for new games, still need to get started on Star Ruler 2...

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 hours into Sunless Sea and loving it even more 

I had this exciting journey where I ended up sailing far into the unknown lands of the southern seas but I didnt have enough fuel and food, or money, for the return voyage.  So I ended up resorting to cannibalism and sacrificing  some of my crew to the various gods of the sea hoping for divine assistance ...and it worked, I received fuel and was able to just get back to London with lots of things to sell :thumbsup:

Absolutely entertaining experience 

• Like 1

John Milton 

14 hours ago, BruceVC said:

15 hours into Sunless Sea and loving it even more 

I had this exciting journey where I ended up sailing far into the unknown lands of the southern seas but I didnt have enough fuel and food, or money, for the return voyage.  So I ended up resorting to cannibalism and sacrificing  some of my crew to the various gods of the sea hoping for divine assistance ...and it worked, I received fuel and was able to just get back to London with lots of things to sell :thumbsup:

Absolutely entertaining experience 

That's the magic of Sunless Sea (and Skies), emergent stories. The game is all about resource management and it's a roguelite, so you have to accept that failure is a part of the experience and that you will get screwed by RNG sometimes. Some of the most entertaining stories come out of things going horribly wrong and the desperate attempt to salvage the situation. It also helps that the writing in the game is delightfully weird and full of dark humor. It's definitely not a game for people that don't want to read. There is a lot of reading.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

That's the magic of Sunless Sea (and Skies), emergent stories. The game is all about resource management and it's a roguelite, so you have to accept that failure is a part of the experience and that you will get screwed by RNG sometimes. Some of the most entertaining stories come out of things going horribly wrong and the desperate attempt to salvage the situation. It also helps that the writing in the game is delightfully weird and full of dark humor. It's definitely not a game for people that don't want to read. There is a lot of reading.

You 100% right, I didnt realize  you had played this game before. I will definitely be considering the other games in this series after this

The writing is captivating and funny and the  game world unique  with lots of lore that I know nothing about so its always interesting to read about  ports I find

One of the single most rewarding  features in the game for  me  is when I sail into the deep, deep, dark sea and I can see no lands and then suddenly I discover  a new land ....its exciting, I feel like a real explorer  and this is even more rewarding when I am low on some sort of resource ⛵

John Milton 

Mostly playing Guild Wars 2 these days... the release of the legendary armory resulted in a mass reshuffling of gear and the revisit of living world season 3 started tonight too. I'm sort of up to speed with that.

Short explanation: Legendary armory is a new feature where your legendary gear gets stored and instead of deciding which alt gets what legendary gear, they can now *all* use the same gear, as they all have access to a an "instance" or copy of the gear. I.e. if you have a legendary sword, all your toons can now use that one sword and each one select their owns stats and appearance independent of each other. Legendary prices are expected to become... legendary 😛

The revisit part is Arenanet throwing carrots at people while waiting for the next major expansion (the third expansion), which got delayed from end of 2021 to somewhere 2022 (officially blaming covid for slowing down the process). They created a new set of achievements, which is basically replaying all the existing "Living World" story content, grind your butt off, do impossible jumping puzzles and do triple backwards flips with your left hand tied to your right foot... or something. Anyway, the reward for doing it all is a legendary item (amulet iirc) once all of it is done. And people are on a stampede throughout the story, crowding my personal space on the current map(s) a lot 😂

When not doing GW2, sort of alternating between Killing Floor 2 (for some hectic co-op shooter action) and Dungeon of Naheulbeuk (sp?), the latter still being very fun to play  🙂

I figure, once the dungeon crawl is finished, then I might pick of Fallout New Vegas again. I actually never completed it... cough cough. Made it to Hoover Dam several times, but something always got in the way, usually something silly like moving country or what have you, taking me away from my game for prolonged periods of time 😖

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

55 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I figure, once the dungeon crawl is finished, then I might pick of Fallout New Vegas again. I actually never completed it... cough cough. Made it to Hoover Dam several times, but something always got in the way, usually something silly like moving country or what have you, taking me away from my game for prolonged periods of time 😖

What !!!! I thought it was mandatory for all Obsidian forum Moderators to have completed F:NV !!!

You cant earn such a high paying salary as  a Moderator  and not have completed this game, quickly edit your post and delete my post because we dont want you to get fired...we like you :teehee:

• Haha 1

John Milton 

51 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Oof, I never made it further than Dinky the T-Rex. 👀

What again !!!

Gfted1 I cannot belive how you have disappointed twice in 24 hours.....the first time was where you didnt confirm you can create some sort of DIY " spirit trapping " box....now this :teehee:

But its not your fault because Gorthfuscious started this ...this... RPG heresy  when he openly admitted " I havent finished F:NV "., remember  he did say that. But then he gave a valid reason which normally is  very hard to do with this type of behavior. I went back to reread his reason just to be sure and its rock solid....he was moving between countries and I know he really has moved internationally more than most and it can very disruptive and hard to stick to your normal routine when you move. So he gets a pass :thumbsup:

But what are your reasons for not finishing this game and not getting very far and please go into as much detail as possible ?

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

John Milton 

16 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

But what are your reasons for not finishing this game and not getting very far and please go into as much detail as possible ?

I cant remember exactly....there was a quest to snipe somebody while hiding in the mouth of the T-Rex? The target never spawned, so I couldnt finish the quest, and I turned off the game and never started it again. :shrugz: Also, first person perspective gives me a headache/nausea so I wanst even that motivated to play it to begin with.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I cant remember exactly....there was a quest to snipe somebody while hiding in the mouth of the T-Rex? The target never spawned, so I couldnt finish the quest, and I turned off the game and never started it again. :shrugz: Also, first person perspective gives me a headache/nausea so I wanst even that motivated to play it to begin with.

You  make me laugh, I admire your laconic, truthful and appropriate comments :lol:

Its an incredible RPG, it was one of  the first RPG  where I used both realistic and lore friendly adult and non-adult mods 

I remember in the beginning you can follow a certain path to get to NV town and it was a harrowing and  difficult journey where I was chased at the end by a pack of Deathclaws....I let my follower  die so I could escape :shrugz:

Their are so many exciting quests and areas to explore outside the main quest and so many interesting factions to meet and interact with. And my Mods added some brilliant new creatures and mutants 

But I can understand why you wouldnt enjoy it if you suffer from any nausea, makes sense and I also would avoid it 

John Milton 

Running out of Serbs to fill out my Brno side. 

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Anyone play Indie games often?  Curious if anyone knows about Mechajammer and/or Wartales, thinking of downloading the demos this weekend to see what they are all about.  I tried a couple of Spiderweb Software games and couldn't get into the old graphics style, I need cool trees and mountains, so curious if I would enjoy the full games.  They sound pretty cool - one Cyberpunk and one low-fantasy ... both with a twist they say on TB combat, with Mechajammers allows for cool things like motorcycle combat I think though not in the demo.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy