What are you Playing Now: Living the Game Life

Old thread:

Last few posts:

9 hours ago, sorophx said:

oh, the running around is definitely inspired by Borderlands, all those barrels carefully placed near enemy spawns etc. but Borderlands was never a good shooter either 😄 maybe I'm too picky I dunno, but OW could've been so much more :( 

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

DEADBOLT. If you like Katana Zero or Hotline Miami, you may very well enjoy this, lot of similarities while offering some different things. Good game, not too long.

NOITA. Looked neat, gave it a try, only ended up playing an hour, controls felt too weird and the wand system too annoying for me to bother further, plus I didn't really want to get into a roguelike of any kind if I wasn't a hundred percent sold on the gameplay.

Wait! Life Is Beautiful! Played this one a while back, but don't think I ever wrote about it. It's a suicide simulator. Just kidding...kind of - just a little indie story/dialogue-based game where you can either try to prevent people from jumping off a bridge or goad them on. Interesting little game that you have to be in the mood for.

4 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

Yeah he's way off, their studio is in Essen, Germany, which is quite far westward part of Germany.  If their studio was in East Germany he may have been half right.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Finished 4th chapter in Tales of Legendia and slowly moved to chapter 5. Being blind playthrough, I found few very suprising moments in the game, and I bet I find few more. Despite being little bit outdated in the gameplay department, I like the way, how the story is pacing, and random encounters are in pretty good frequency. Because of that, the game has slowly climbed to  my personal Top 3 Tales of games so far. Which is pretty surprising to me TBH. I really hope this will last as long as possible, because it’s been pretty long time, that I was enjoying any game as much, as I enjoy ToL. Despite this, it is harder to recommend to someone else, just because of the outdated combat. If you can gat over that, and like darker jRPG stories, you might enjoy this hame as well.

In the meanwhile, I’ve slowly accumulated 45 million gold in Fairy Fencer F, so just 55 million to go for the Platinum Trophy 😄  

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

More ELEX  positive gaming feedback, I have just found another familiar component of Piranha Bytes games. The teleporter and I thought how I like how they  have implemented this type of RPG mechanic 

Their is often  an interesting debate within gamers circles about the implementation  of " instant\fast -travel " in RPG and even if they should exist and this applies to MMO  as well. For me  I dont want to have to  manually travel everywhere especially with a large map so I have always appreciated forms of instant travel but I dont want them to make me lazy and  predominantly use them  instead of exploring 

So I really like how they done in Piranha Bytes games, you dont know where the teleporters are and sometimes you can absolutely miss them. But they allow you to travel to hubs in regions but you still need to put effort in  and find things through exploration so its a good balance the way they do it 

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dragon Quest XI:  Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition.

If you like JRPG's pick it up immediately.  I mean yeah the plot is cliche a f--k but there's enough twists and turns to keep it interesting.

The world design and characters are phenomenal though, and whilst the gameplay is classic Dragon Quest, crafting is done very well and even leveling up is pretty well done, as you can drop points as you see fit depending on your character.  Very well done by JRPG standards.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Dragon Quest XI:  Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition.

If you like JRPG's pick it up immediately.  I mean yeah the plot is cliche a f--k but there's enough twists and turns to keep it interesting.

The world design and characters are phenomenal though, and whilst the gameplay is classic Dragon Quest, crafting is done very well and even leveling up is pretty well done, as you can drop points as you see fit depending on your character.  Very well done by JRPG standards.

How would compare it to games Dragon Age or NWN2....I  have been told you cant compare JRPG to other RPG but is that true. I have a very wide interests in games I play and I am sure I would enjoy a JRPG?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

34 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

How would compare it to games Dragon Age or NWN2....I  have been told you cant compare JRPG to other RPG but is that true. I have a very wide interests in games I play and I am sure I would enjoy a JRPG?

Poor in regards to dialogue choices, the protagonist does not speak and only occasionally you're offered a Yes/No question that doesn't matter either way (typical for 99% of JRPG's really).  Not as Grimdark, the graphics are great but more colorful and artsy, and closer to cliche fantasy (with some nice twists, as mentioned), but definitely bigger in scope with more monsters, items, easter eggs, etc.  You kinda "feel good" when you complete quests, as opposed to some Western RPG's where completing quests just feels like a necessity, more upbeat I guess you could call it.

To me, crafting in NWN 2 felt kinda "tacked on" and pretty pointless as all the killer gear was found in shops or in some dank cave.  I don't think Dragon Age even had crafting, did it?  Crafting in Dragon Quest XI is fun and has a good amount of depth, and every time you get a new recipe you're eager to go out and craft it because you know it's going to be better than what they sell in shops and what you have currently equipped, and you get new crafting skills that help make the gear you make better (so far you can craft anywhere from standard to +3).

Also you can put it in 2D mode which makes it look like a Dragon Quest released in the early 90's, which could be appealing to some.  If/when I beat it I may start a new playthrough in 2D mode.

There's probably much more one could add, but it's kind of difficult because yes, they are two different genres and each has their own atmosphere and chances are nostalgia and preference are the biggest factors in determining which you could like more. 

There's a free demo available if anyone wants to try it out, and it's quite big!  I totally forgot I was playing a demo and once it finally ended it was one of the easiest "shut up and take my money" moments ever.  Progress does carry over into the retail version so no need to worry about starting over again.

Edited by ComradeYellow
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

There's a free demo available if anyone wants to try it out, and it's quite big!  I totally forgot I was playing a demo and once it finally ended it was one of the easiest "shut up and take my money" moments ever.  Progress does carry over into the retail version so no need to worry about starting over again.

I played the demo for a while. It really looks like a complete game up until it ends if you want an impression @BruceVC

It is too "cutesy" for my cynical old Danish self, but it a well made with a very high degree of spit and polish added to it. Right down to funny little remarks and conversations with just about anything you would expect would be able to have a conversation. I.e. talk to the towns people, not the road signs (although you can read those).

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Finished Lost Horizon 2, the ending was sort of neat with the time jumping but overall was a bit of a mess.  Such a step down from the first game, seems a heck of a lot shorter, puzzles were worse - the raven one seems just a trial and error trap.  Last AA game I have to play is Sam Peters, then, I dunno what to play next.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished ME1. Once again.

I have to admit, it feels shorter than I remember. Then again, I didn't spend hours and hours roaming around in the Mako this time.

E2wQGsnXMAEbvDH?format=png&name=900x900

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Trying to play baldurs gate again.  The character movement is so slow it drives me a little crazy.  Gives me time to do chores as they move from one end of the map to the other end. 

Is everyone except fightersand rangers supposed to feel useless early on?

Edited by Theonlygarby
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Trying to play baldurs gate again.  The character movement is so slow it drives me a little crazy. 

You must gather your party before venturing forth. :-

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

9 years since Mass Effect 3 came out. Hard to believe it's been that long. Only Mass Effect I was willing to give a chance after that was a replay of 2 on PS3. Playing Mass Effect 3 after all this time, with the DLC and the extended ending, I don't hate it anymore.  It's good to enjoy the series again. And to be able to enjoy the whole series without issuing conditions on 1 and condemnation on 3.

The ending is still dumb. Perhaps the dumbest bit in the series. But it no longer feels like the whole thing is ruined. Just a misstep. I'd be glad to play a 4 of the same quality, assuming they don't pick up the dumbest bits of the ending and run with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

You must gather your party before venturing forth. :-

Stop iiiiiiiiiiiit!!! :aiee:

Anyway, enabling console and travelling everywhere via way of Ctrl+J immensely helps with enjoying BG series. I even made another character with the intent to eventually don that human skin armor in BG2 one day and I'm playing with appropriate attitude, i.e. if someone dies then they die, no reload for you, berk. So far the funniest moments were Xan dying to a stray spell before I even talked to him, Dorn croaking during his own recruitment mission and Ajantis's suicide by Charname because of Drizzt murder. I developed a soft spot for Xzar though (playing with that expanded NPC mod and his writing is not bad at all), so if he dies I'm gonna break that rule, but for nobody else. 

Gotta love these (re)loading times too, works well with brief sessions between doing other things. 

7 hours ago, Tale said:

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

9 years since Mass Effect 3 came out. Hard to believe it's been that long. Only Mass Effect I was willing to give a chance after that was a replay of 2 on PS3. Playing Mass Effect 3 after all this time, with the DLC and the extended ending, I don't hate it anymore.  It's good to enjoy the series again. And to be able to enjoy the whole series without issuing conditions on 1 and condemnation on 3.

The ending is still dumb. Perhaps the dumbest bit in the series. But it no longer feels like the whole thing is ruined. Just a misstep. I'd be glad to play a 4 of the same quality, assuming they don't pick up the dumbest bits of the ending and run with it.

Well that is good news, I always assumed you like ME because you play and enjoy the DA series but that was a spurious assumption on my part 

But I think its  a hugely positive Bioware step if you dont hate the ME series anymore 8)

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Well that is good news, I always assumed you like ME because you play and enjoy the DA series but that was a spurious assumption on my part 

But I think its  a hugely positive Bioware step if you dont hate the ME series anymore 8)

'Time heals all wounds'...

Speaking of which, I should try Dragon Age: Inquisition again (for the sixth time) and see if I can't motivate myself to at least make it out of the tutorial railroad track before putting it aside again. Unlike ME3 where the ending sucked, it's like in DA:I it's the beginning that sucks 🤔

At least I hope so. I better put it on my to-do list for when I finish/grow tired of my current batch of games (Monster Girl Island, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, Nier: Replicant and the ubiquitous Guild Wars 2). Speaking of the latter if anyone here plays it, more than welcome to hit me up in game. Message me for in-game contact details.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

20 minutes ago, Gorth said:

'Time heals all wounds'...

Speaking of which, I should try Dragon Age: Inquisition again (for the sixth time) and see if I can't motivate myself to at least make it out of the tutorial railroad track before putting it aside again. Unlike ME3 where the ending sucked, it's like in DA:I it's the beginning that sucks 🤔

At least I hope so. I better put it on my to-do list for when I finish/grow tired of my current batch of games (Monster Girl Island, Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, Nier: Replicant and the ubiquitous Guild Wars 2). Speaking of the latter if anyone here plays it, more than welcome to hit me up in game. Message me for in-game contact details.

You must definitely give it a go, dont forget to look at some Mods. I dont think their are many that make fundamental changes but several for cosmetic and convenience changes

I have yet to play DA:I but I have it installed and ready to go so it will definitely play it this year

I have always been interested in GW2, about 12 years ago I worked with 2 guys who loved this game and played it religiously at 6pm for 4-6 hours most nights

How would you describe it, go into as much detail as possible 💻

John Milton 

9 hours ago, bugarup said:

Stop iiiiiiiiiiiit!!! :aiee:

Anyway, enabling console and travelling everywhere via way of Ctrl+J immensely helps with enjoying BG series. I even made another character with the intent to eventually don that human skin armor in BG2 one day and I'm playing with appropriate attitude, i.e. if someone dies then they die, no reload for you, berk. So far the funniest moments were Xan dying to a stray spell before I even talked to him, Dorn croaking during his own recruitment mission and Ajantis's suicide by Charname because of Drizzt murder. I developed a soft spot for Xzar though (playing with that expanded NPC mod and his writing is not bad at all), so if he dies I'm gonna break that rule, but for nobody else. 

Gotta love these (re)loading times too, works well with brief sessions between doing other things. 

I don't know what control-j means.... but in my mind j stands for jog... is there a jogging function?!?

Also I think I've chosen the worst companions.  I forget there names but I'm using the 2 from the friendly inn or whatever, imoenen or whatever and then garrick(I'll ditch him eventually) and the wizard girl I saved... in any discussion none of those companions are mentioned.  As a first playthrough I feel like the first 3 people are must haves story wise.... Am I doomed?

1 hour ago, Theonlygarby said:

I don't know what control-j means.... but in my mind j stands for jog... is there a jogging function?!?

Better - it's a teleport! :biggrin: You have to tweak some .ini file at first to enable command console, google has the instructions, and then just point your cursor somewhere, press Ctrl key and then J key and voila -- your character or your entire party if selected transfers there instantly, no slow crawl across the map.

None of characters are story important and they don't have much personality anyway, so ditch whoever, whenever you find an upgrade. There's a goofy looking ranged fighter/thief somewhere not too far from the starting point, you might want to hold onto him and his very good stat distribution, there's also a mopey ranger moping about nearby, not half bad stats too and a very good shot, out of mages the best is one called Edwin and the town of Beregost, I think, has a good, tanky dorf. Also the majority of those schmucks have timed quests attached to them so you might want to pay attention to their babbling lest they leave in a huff mid-dungeon because their timer ran off.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Better - it's a teleport! :biggrin: You have to tweak some .ini file at first to enable command console, google has the instructions, and then just point your cursor somewhere, press Ctrl key and then J key and voila -- your character or your entire party if selected transfers there instantly, no slow crawl across the map.

None of characters are story important and they don't have much personality anyway, so ditch whoever, whenever you find an upgrade. There's a goofy looking ranged fighter/thief somewhere not too far from the starting point, you might want to hold onto him and his very good stat distribution, there's also a mopey ranger moping about nearby, not half bad stats too and a very good shot, out of mages the best is one called Edwin and the town of Beregost, I think, has a good, tanky dorf. Also the majority of those schmucks have timed quests attached to them so you might want to pay attention to their babbling lest they leave in a huff mid-dungeon because their timer ran off.

Hmm..  honestly you saying they don't have much personality makes me not want to play...  it's why I have had a hard time getting into the game in the first place.  I kind of feel nothing towards any of the characters/story in general.  I hear a lot about how good the story and writing is but if the characters aren't good... what is the good part of the story?

28 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

Hmm..  honestly you saying they don't have much personality makes me not want to play...  it's why I have had a hard time getting into the game in the first place.  I kind of feel nothing towards any of the characters/story in general.  I hear a lot about how good the story and writing is but if the characters aren't good... what is the good part of the story?

You probably hear that about the sequel, Baldur's Gate 2, back then it was considered to be way, way ahead of other games in the story/character department. Not sure it holds that well for someone playing it only now with all the competition and sans nostalgia-tinted glasses to boot, but IMO it aged alright and still is entertaining in a cheesy way. First game's story, well...it will get better a little when you're out of dreary wilderness and into the eponymous city, but the characters remain bare bones.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bugarup said:

You probably hear that about the sequel, Baldur's Gate 2, back then it was considered to be way, way ahead of other games in the story/character department. Not sure it holds that well for someone playing it only now with all the competition and sans nostalgia-tinted glasses to boot, but IMO it aged alright and still is entertaining in a cheesy way. First game's story, well...it will get better a little when you're out of dreary wilderness and into the eponymous city, but the characters remain bare bones.

Gave me something to think about...  maybe I'll try pathfinder kingmaker again.  Which I have a completely different set of issues with... mainly that I'm awful and the leveling system is very daunting.

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

Did anyone ever play Amazing Cultivation Simulator?

I have it on my wishlist and keep waiting for it to be in a decent sale.

Continuing on my Mass Effect : Legendary Edition play...  Got started on ME2, and I have to say, the wander around the crashed ruins of the Normandy collecting dog-tags is a strange mixture of haunting, tragic, beautiful, and mildly irritating.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

8 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Gave me something to think about...  maybe I'll try pathfinder kingmaker again.  Which I have a completely different set of issues with... mainly that I'm awful and the leveling system is very daunting.

just edit save or play on the lowest difficulty

read few hundred hour of pathfinder 1e try to figure everything out just doesn't worth it

mechwarrior 5. mechwarrior 2 were the first pc game we played obsessive, and we still got a soft spot for the battletech inspired games. put in more than a few long gaming sessions with the tabletop version in the late eighties.

we saw the steam release and the new dlc, so we gave mechwarrior 5 a chance and am enjoying it. salvage feels like a bit o' a trap negotiation... appeals to gambler instincts. you max salvage and get 22 shares, but after the battle the decent mech available, which you purposeful killed with a headshot, is costing 23. 

nevertheless, we almost always max salvage. 

am spending considerable time with our mech loadouts and experimenting with weapon systems like rifles and chem lasers. 

so far is not feeling repetitive, but am also consistent punching above our weight class.

haven't had any noteworthy bugs. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)