I've never completed the game and I'm going to give it a try again.  I am very intrigued by the monk class and the retaliation mechanics.  When I was younger I loved playing spell casters and micromanaging every spell in combat but the retaliation build seems to be more low maintenance so to speak.  I have looked at these two builds and they seem similar.

Is the Anvil Monk build a little more geared towards survivability while the Monksterlasher does a bit more damage?  Any insight into the differences between these build would be appreciated.

18 minutes ago, Gundoggy said:

Is the Anvil Monk build a little more geared towards survivability while the Monksterlasher does a bit more damage?

Yes, that's pretty much it. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 5/24/2021 at 7:23 PM, Gundoggy said:

I've never completed the game and I'm going to give it a try again.  I am very intrigued by the monk class and the retaliation mechanics.  When I was younger I loved playing spell casters and micromanaging every spell in combat but the retaliation build seems to be more low maintenance so to speak.  I have looked at these two builds and they seem similar.

Is the Anvil Monk build a little more geared towards survivability while the Monksterlasher does a bit more damage?  Any insight into the differences between these build would be appreciated.

But a regular monk with just rooting pain and high dex will out-dps a just retaliation monk.

Not really. The retaliation Monk can use the same stuff as any other Monk. Retaliation just comes on top. You can make a high DEX Monk and still give him retaliation - there's no rule to drop DEX. Retaliation can just be a way to deal good damage with a Monk who is build for tankyness. Dropping DEX is just less impactful if you use Full Attacks most of times and in between can retaliate without any animation time or recovery that might mess up your action economy. And since Battle Forged only kicks in after getting to 50% endurance high CON isn't a bad idea. So something's gotta give and DEX seems to be the natural choice - but it's not mandatory to drop DEX if you want to use retaliation.   

Battle Forged scales it base damage to absurd heights - and it works with several of the Monk's lashes. It has no recovery and just adds to all the "active" damage you do. 

The retaliation can be seen as a nice addon. You can build around it and deal good damage despite your sluggish tankyness -  or you just build a nimble damage dealer and just carry it along as a nice little bonus or "last resort". But its presence doesn't make your monk perform worse when it comes to dealing damage.

The Monksterlasher perfomed extremely well in the damage department though despite the low DEX. I never played a Monk that had higher dmg output in a melee scuffle. Just because those 100+ dmg retaliations add a lot of additional oomph once you get pummeled too hard.    

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Just played through a TCS with the Lasher. Thing to note is Battle Forged doesn’t trigger most fights late game. You simply kill mobs too fast. Torment‘s Reach is the only thing u need to use. Just position yourself well at the start of the fight. Most fights I just set the AI to aggressive and let it play out while I go get a coffee. The build is that good 😌 

• Like 1