Anime, the eternal Jettokōsutā

23 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Thinking of rewatching some old shows to see if I still like them.

On my liked list I have Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, and Darker than Black even though I never saw the second season. Maybe I'll start with the last one since it has a season I haven't seen.

I don't think I've seen any of those. Would you recommend them?

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The Sailor Moon Says channel is being taken down.

Well that sucks more than Serena's big moouf on hamburgers.

Oh and since @majestic mentioned it, in AoT DIO's VA plays a moneky titan (though here a monkey does defeat a human lmao). The guy who voices Jotaro voices the scout commander, the edgelord commando is voiced by the same guy who does Rohan, and the main character is voiced by the same guy who voices Koichi but in AoT he actually kill da hoe.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini
  • Sad 1

"I am the expert, asshat." - Hurlsnot

"You need to be careful, lest I write another ten page essay on mythology and how it relates to Sailor Moon." - majestic

"I won't say what just in case KaineParker is reading" - Bartimaeus

"Oh no! Is there super secret ending as well? I don’t care." - Wormerine

Yes, I'd recommend them but since I don't know much anime I don't have anything to compare it to. I think Samurai Champloo is probably the easiest of the three to get into and Ergo Proxy the most difficult. How many times do you think you can hear raison d'etre before you go crazy?

• Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Binge watched Horimiya two weeks ago. It's ... well .. it's ... you know, it's not what I usually watch.

But man.

When it was over, I kinda wanted more. So I checked out the manga and ... This is the first time ever that I bought a manga. I'm in chapter 14 now, I think. (also, jeez, this stuff is expensive)

Seems Covid-19 lockdown turned me into a real weeb.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

16 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@all: The Sailor Moon Says channel is being taken down. They're going to erase the sane Sailor Moon (YouTube) fans, ;(. All those brilliant comments about Pegasus and Chibi-Usa, everyone going "WTF" over Usagi's retarded S3/S4 voice, Minako accusing of Artemis of cheating on her, Mimette and the security guard doing the meme gesture, all the other utterly bizarre and/or hilarious dialogue...all gone. RIP.

I was kind of surprised it took them this long (probably because it wasn't Viz Media holding the rights to the audio in the clips), some copyright holders have been hard at work cracking down on anything Sailor Moon related - many of the clips with the Viz dub audio are constantly reuploaded, or are just gone. 

And it's a tragedy, consdering we have several new happy Sailor Moon fans in this thread alone that only watched because of these clips on YouTube. I mean, it all did start with you trying it because of the funny bad DiC dub. 

We'd not be discussing anything anime related in this thread at all withou that, actually. I most likely would never have rewatched Sailor Moon, never followed it up with Cardcaptor Sakura for instance. Huh. What a cascade there. 

Imagine never have seen Cardcaptor Sakura becaues that channel died earlier. 

Stupid copyright holders, now you've made Tomoyo sad! :( 

12 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Yes, I'd recommend them but since I don't know much anime I don't have anything to compare it to. I think Samurai Champloo is probably the easiest of the three to get into and Ergo Proxy the most difficult. How many times do you think you can hear raison d'etre before you go crazy?

You know... 200 episodes of Sailor Moon, some, ahm, repetition isn't an issue, is it? By the way, are you watching Sailor Moon yet? Looking forward to your thoughts! ;) 

(just kidding, but only half kidding)

Ergo Proxy looks pretty interesting though. Maybe at a later date. Too much open right now. 

Oh, and by the way, @LadyCrimson:

There've been moments watching Violet Evergarden where I had to pause an wait for a while to be able to see my TV again, and Violet is definitely human. Superhumanly strong in the war flashbacks, but human nonetheless. :) 

• Sad 1

Give me the eyes, so I see
Give me ears, so I hear
Give me love, so I know what love is
Give me freedom to think, to believe
In something
                        -- Tony Kakko

Overlord Season 3

This was a great season. It started hilariously and ended in an impressive way. It paid off many things that were in development. And had some sad and disturbing moments too.

I forgot to mention when I talked about season 2, there is a character here that would eat everyone in Westeros for breakfast. And I’m not talking about those who do eat human meat. But in this season, the schemes were much bigger.

Below is a small spoiler, but most of it is mentioned explicitly in the description of the anime on some sites. Read at your own risk though:

Spoiler

Ains is going to conquer the world. But he didn't know this. His minions had already started doing it by themselves. Demiurge even says: “I hope no one here was stupid enough to not have realized we were doing this.” Well, Ainz had just discovered it. Here is his reaction:

th?id=OIP.rGdKT4a0nSNU_rZxhSxRJgHaDt%26p

"Huh?!" 🤣

Another spoiler below. It is one of the funniest scenes in the anime, but it doesn't spoil the story. Again, read and watch at your own risk:

Spoiler

After Ains says he loves everyone in the Tomb because they are the creations of his beloved friends. Mare, who kind of sees him as a father figure, starts to cry. The maid fall on her knees crying. And the Succubus Albedo, who he programmed to love him, loses control and decides it is finally time to give him an heir. Not that a skeleton can do that...

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

On 6/15/2021 at 12:17 PM, majestic said:

This is going to be depressing even without the film potentially being depressing. Which... is what most of the original anime was, so why would this be any different.

Turns out I was wrong, about a few things.

It's split in two parts, with the first and much of the second being setup for a moment that, for me, being the sap that I am, clicked perfectly. It was glorious. For a while I wondered how all the good reviews came to be, but after watching it all, I just realized I did not follow my own advice and be patient. This time, Violet gets an assignment that goes above and beyond her regular duties. She's supposed to tutor a young noblewoman in how to behave properly. That seems like a strange fit until you realize that strict military protocol and aristocratic behavior aren't that dissimilar from each other. Violet also gets to show off how much she's grown as a person since the first episode.

It's more heartwarming than sad, even though there's a bittersweet moment at the end, or maybe one that spans the second half of Eternity and the Auto Memories Doll. One that's obviously not drawn any attention to by the animation itself, because it relies on experience and knowledge of our own world to see what is happening. Spoilers for that:

Spoiler

The second half is set three years from the first one, after the end of the anime. Leiden, the city Lt. Col. DIO's company is in, has had rapid technological progress. This was already hinted at by the series proper and the construction of a massive trans-continental railway network to increase trade and promote the cultural exchange and the exchange of ideas. For peace and progress, as it were. Early cars are seen in the streets, public phone booths are showing up here and there and Leiden is currently constructing a massive radio tower.

While everyone's clearly recovering from the war, radio and telephone will soon make writing letters as obsolete as it has become in our day and age - at least until writing posts on forums or e-mails might once again be needed, but that'll be a while.

It's... such a great way to indicate that the story of Violet is soon coming to an end. The radio tower will be finished in the movie that I still have left to watch, because in the trailer, there's a celebration to commemorate the tower being completed. It's moments like these that elevate this even more.

Also...

violet.jpg

Looking at this, maybe not all hope is lost for modern animation, right?

Jl1kcdX8QMBFpnwGd_cQoLe5o1IIy2UnTucofpGp

Can't see it from a shot, but the blades of grass are swaying in the wind here.

On the other hand, some things remain uncanny...

439311.jpg

Ugh, dunno guys, this looks as fake as it probably is. I guess it's the lights.

439326.jpg

Here the character models look much better than the background, for some reason. Something's off with the windows, right? It's not just me.

439315.jpg

And then there are scenes like this.

Hmmm. Some of the scenes were also directed by Michael Bay. I mean, some scenes have CGI'ed lens flare effects. It's... yeah, well, it doesn't look totally terrible, but it's weird.

Overall this was an enjoyable film, even though it's more like two 45 minute episodes than one feature length animation, but the two pieces are connected, if three years apart. If there's one thing I did not like is that it doesn't as seemlessly integrate into the show timeline as the first special does. Probably because it's meant to stand alone at the end of the show, although there's no real indication either way when the first part was supposed to be.

And, finally:

Dear god, to the Isabella/Violet shippers, please: Go die in a fire.

• Like 1

Give me the eyes, so I see
Give me ears, so I hear
Give me love, so I know what love is
Give me freedom to think, to believe
In something
                        -- Tony Kakko

5 hours ago, majestic said:

You know... 200 episodes of Sailor Moon, some, ahm, repetition isn't an issue, is it? By the way, are you watching Sailor Moon yet? Looking forward to your thoughts! ;)

I watched it and it was good. 👍

My favorite part was when they, um, hopped on the train and, um, sailed to the moon. Totally explained why they named it what they did. 10/10

• Haha 1

Free games updated 3/4/21