Pretty weird that we don't have a gun thread already, or did I miss it?

For now, let's just appreciate how honest this guy is:

Edit: this is a 'no politics, guns only' thread.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Never leave home without your thumbs

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Not a fan of automatic weapons. Or even semi auto. In fact none of my firearms with three exceptions would look out of place at the OK corral or 1916 France. But lately I’ve gotten into and really am enjoying muzzleloaders. The chance to mix different powder loads with different mass projectiles and sabots is both interesting and fun. I have finally realized I will not be able to get my rifle past 500m. The best performance at that range is a 30 caliber mini ball using a sabot and 110 grains. Any more than that to powder burns outside the barrel. If you see fire coming from the end of a muzzleloader you’ve used too much propellant. You need to figure your powder charge based on your barrel length. Once the powder has started to burn there is a finite amount of time before the projectile exits the barrel. Any powder still burning after the projectile is gone was wasted. My rifle has a 28 inch barrel. There is no way physically possible for it to fire projectile 1000 m. The barrel needs to be longer. More barrel length means more propellant which means more time for that propellant to burn which means more speed on the projectile.

But I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed figuring all that out.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I would love to try out various types of guns, small and large, on a firing range some day. I would probably hurt my shoulder and get bruises from it in the process, but I think it would be worth just for the heck of trying it once...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

When I was a kid, there was a firing range on the other side of the lake where I live, my grandfather did a stint in the army, and joined the homeguard afterwards. He had me tag along a couple of times to the firing range to practice, and let me shoot a couple of times, and I loved it, enough that I joined the shooting club there for a couple of years, spent many weekends shooting even though it was hideously expensive. I shot 5x5 series with an old Swedish Mauser and it cost about 250 Swedish crowns for the ammo (Adjusted for inflation, 40USD today).

About two years into shooting and getting pretty good at it, our neighbour tired of the shooting range, so they bought the land and discontinued the range. The only shooting I've done since then was when helping an aquaintance with their computer, and instead of money I chose to shoot his benelli shotgun instead, the trixy bastard mixed around the shells so I wouldn't know what was coming, birdshot, buckshot and Magnum Slugs 😂

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

There were two earlier threads, but they're decades old at this point:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Not a fan of automatic weapons. Or even semi auto. In fact none of my firearms with three exceptions would look out of place at the OK corral or 1916 France. But lately I’ve gotten into and really am enjoying muzzleloaders. The chance to mix different powder loads with different mass projectiles and sabots is both interesting and fun. I have finally realized I will not be able to get my rifle past 500m. The best performance at that range is a 30 caliber mini ball using a sabot and 110 grains. Any more than that to powder burns outside the barrel. If you see fire coming from the end of a muzzleloader you’ve used too much propellant. You need to figure your powder charge based on your barrel length. Once the powder has started to burn there is a finite amount of time before the projectile exits the barrel. Any powder still burning after the projectile is gone was wasted. My rifle has a 28 inch barrel. There is no way physically possible for it to fire projectile 1000 m. The barrel needs to be longer. More barrel length means more propellant which means more time for that propellant to burn which means more speed on the projectile.

But I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed figuring all that out.

So you're a gun hipster ? 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

In fact none of my firearms with three exceptions would look out of place at the OK corral

But do you have one of those smexy cowboy duster coats to go with it?  :brows:

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

9 hours ago, HoonDing said:

If you gaze into the barrel, the barrel will also gaze into you.

Look at you, you little Nietzsche fanboy. Im impressed, I didnt think you cared or understood  much about white, Capitalist literature but with you  quoting it you have  just proven me wrong. You see I do admit when Im wrong o:)

• Haha 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela