New Scientific Discoveries, Part Vier

Amentep

17 minutes ago, rjshae said:

No surprise for me. The way I see it, imaginary numbers are simply a way to describe two sets of numbers that are related to each other. Time and frequency for time series ("i" appears in the Fourier transform) or position and momentum in Quantum Mechanics, for example. The momentum operator is "i d/dx" and Heisenberg's uncertainty principle shows that position and momentum affect each other, you can't have much precision in one without losing it for the other.

Thinking imaginary numbers are bizarre is not much different than thinking negative numbers shouldn't exist just because you can't have "minus three apples" for example. It's just a way to describe numbers in a specific situation, like when you lose three apples, for example. It just happens that imaginary numbers are perpendicular, so in order to get to them you need to "move" half the way you do when you wanna get negative numbers, so i*i=-1 and i is the square root of -1.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Thinking imaginary numbers are bizarre is not much different than thinking negative numbers shouldn't exist just because you can't have "minus three apples" for example. It's just a way to describe numbers in a specific situation, like when you lose three apples, for example.

Credit cards says Hello! ;)

No, not serious. It made perfect sense during electronics classes in Uni. The only way you could really design filters and work with frequencies. I still balk at Fourier Transformations. I effin hated that last  bit.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Imaginary numbers are used mathematically to describe two dimensions with a single expression. Maybe it's telling us there's a quantum dimension of some sort, like two-dimensional time?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

12 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Imaginary numbers are used mathematically to describe two dimensions with a single expression. Maybe it's telling us there's a quantum dimension of some sort, like two-dimensional time?

It could also imply that time isn't a linear thing?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well JWST finally launched.  Before Star Citizen too

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Biden-Harris Administration Extends Space Station Operations Through 2030

NASA Administrator Bill Nelson announced today the Biden-Harris Administration’s commitment to extend International Space Station (ISS) operations through 2030, and to work with our international partners in Europe (ESA, European Space Agency), Japan (JAXA, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency), Canada (CSA, Canadian Space Agency), and Russia (State Space Corporation Roscosmos) to enable continuation of the groundbreaking research being conducted in this unique orbiting laboratory through the rest of this decade.

Assuming Russia doesn't find a way to break it first...

Must be fun for the engineers involved in this, having the entire world act like that annoying middle manager always monitoring updates. 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

US household air conditioning use could exceed electric capacity in next decade due to climate change

Climate change will drive an increase in summer air conditioning use in the United States likely to cause prolonged blackouts during peak summer heat if states do not expand capacity or improve efficiency, according to a new study of household-level demand.

Things are getting real.

• Sad 1

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/athribis-0016370

Archaeologists in Egypt have interpreted the text and images on 18,000 pottery fragments. Not only do they tell of ancient Athribis trading culture, but they also detail school punishments.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man