New Scientific Discoveries, Part Vier

Amentep

3 hours ago, rjshae said:

Do we need to close the borders to space? 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Do we need to close the borders to space? 🤔

Build a wall!

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

For a different kind of "scientific discovery"...:

Scientists spot warning signs of Gulf Stream collapse

Climate scientists have detected warning signs of the collapse of the Gulf Stream, one of the planet’s main potential tipping points.

Such an event would have catastrophic consequences around the world, severely disrupting the rains that billions of people depend on for food in India, South America and West Africa; increasing storms and lowering temperatures in Europe; and pushing up the sea level in t4he eastern North America. It would also further endanger the Amazon rainforest and Antarctic ice sheets.

The complexity of the AMOC system and uncertainty over levels of future global heating make it impossible to forecast the date of any collapse for now. It could be within a decade or two, or several centuries away. But the colossal impact it would have means it must never be allowed to happen, the scientists said.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 8/5/2021 at 11:40 AM, Bartimaeus said:

For a different kind of "scientific discovery"...:

Scientists spot warning signs of Gulf Stream collapse

Yep, that is one of the potential tipping points the scientists have long been concerned about. In terms of risk, it probably ranks up there with a regional nuclear war or a Yellowstone caldera explosion. Perhaps not world ending, but pretty calamitous for everybody.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

4 hours ago, rjshae said:

'Likes' and 'shares' teach people to express more outrage online

Does it make sense then to have a like button? Maybe it needs to be more nuanced?

I did ask our overlords once if we could have a dislike button here. Sadly not available in this forum software 😂

• Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I hate "like" buttons on a forum, as they kill conversation. 10 years ago, you'd post something and people would respond to it, which makes other people respond, which makes people respond, and in the end, the topic might stay active for a long time .... Now you post something and people "like" it, but nobody replies, which means the post will disappear in a few hours and that's the end of it. The only way to make most folks care is to write something stupid or controversial which forces them to respond.

Maybe this could be circumvented a bit if "liking" a post would have the same effect on the thread as a normal reply (pushing it up again). Then at least it would stay active for a bit longer. However, I still think the topic dies faster if nobody actually responds.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

haha

• Hmmm 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

I hate "like" buttons on a forum, as they kill conversation. 10 years ago, you'd post something and people would respond to it, which makes other people respond, which makes people respond, and in the end, the topic might stay active for a long time .... Now you post something and people "like" it, but nobody replies, which means the post will disappear in a few hours and that's the end of it. The only way to make most folks care is to write something stupid or controversial which forces them to respond.

Maybe this could be circumvented a bit if "liking" a post would have the same effect on the thread as a normal reply (pushing it up again). Then at least it would stay active for a bit longer. However, I still think the topic dies faster if nobody actually responds.

Disregarding politics and science topics which do garner alot of responses, when it comes to gaming the companies rarely release anything worthwhile to discuss, they're so tightlipped with information that you would have to think they're afeared of their lives.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 hours ago, Gorth said:

I did ask our overlords once if we could have a dislike button here. Sadly not available in this forum software 😂

Maybe a 'disagree' button more so than a 'dislike' button. Too much hate and vilification on the Internet as is.

On 8/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, kanisatha said:

Too much hate and vilification on the Internet as is.

One can never have enough hate.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 8/15/2021 at 3:14 AM, Lexx said:

I've always seen likes on a message board as a way to cut out the "me too" posts.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sure, but as I said, it kills the lifetime of a post. If you make a new thread and everyone only likes it, it'll be on page 2 of the index very soon and thus potential other opinions will never show up.

I'm noticing this a lot when releasing my small mod projects -- everyone just likes the thread, and then it's time for the abyss, never to be seen again.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I get what you're saying; that said in the old days we pruned out the 'me toos' since they were considered spam, so they wouldn't necessarily keep a thread on top.  That said, having likes bump a topic might be interesting (provided someone can't keep unliking/liking the thread to keep bumping it).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 hours ago, Amentep said:

I've always seen likes on a message board as a way to cut out the "me too" posts.

Me too...

• Like 2

Naughty, naughty Gorth... a bit more on topic

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58252784

The National Ignition Facility uses a powerful laser to heat and compress hydrogen fuel, initiating fusion.

An experiment suggests the goal of "ignition", where the energy released by fusion exceeds that delivered by the laser, is now within touching distance.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 8:17 AM, Amentep said:

I agree.

edit: Dangit, Gorth beat me to it by hours.

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Gorth said:

Naughty, naughty Gorth... a bit more on topic

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58252784

The National Ignition Facility uses a powerful laser to heat and compress hydrogen fuel, initiating fusion.

An experiment suggests the goal of "ignition", where the energy released by fusion exceeds that delivered by the laser, is now within touching distance.

Now it's just 30 years away...

Why Nuclear Fusion Is Always 30 Years Away

• Haha 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."