New Scientific Discoveries, Part Vier

Amentep

22 hours ago, rjshae said:

Space travel weakens our immune systems: Now scientists may know why

I remember ages ago reading sci-fi novels where people would live in space to a ripe old age because zero-g was easier on the body.

Turns out: nope, it doesn't work that way.

Ironically, what does the most damage to human bodies is oxygen... and the first great mass extinction was when earth got polluted by an abundance of oxygen, which is/was a waste product from plant(like) organisms. Few life forms survived because they were able to adapt and survive the oxygen, even if it does put a constant strain on those organisms and those that descended and evolved from them.

(which is why anti-oxidants are supposed to slow the aging process, you essentially "rust" at a slower pace ;) )

Edit: I use the word 'ironically' because the same stuff that kills us is also something we became dependent on for survival

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

A Little Laughing Gas Can Help Treat Depression, Small Study Finds

Who'd have guessed that? I can't imagine. 🤣

I find that it helps, pushing 1000hp puts a big smile on your face 😛

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 7:01 PM, ShadySands said:

UFO/UAP report released today and summarized below

giphy.gif

Yeah, different century same story from the government. But at least now, not many people believe what the government has to say.

On 6/25/2021 at 4:01 PM, ShadySands said:

UFO/UAP report released today and summarized below

giphy.gif

There was a time when the educated elite estimated the age of the Sun was 9 million years. However, this conflicted with geological findings. *shrug*

https://www.christopherlovell.co.uk/blog/2015/12/13/The-age-of-the-earth.html

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

On 6/27/2021 at 12:16 PM, kanisatha said:

Yeah, different century same story from the government. But at least now, not many people believe what the government has to say.

It seems Sam Harris does. He's been claiming to have been contacted by someone from the government who wants his help to disclose the truth about UFOs to the public. And he appears to be taking this seriously, even talking about "the prospect of having to apologize to the people we’ve been laughing at for the last fifty years who have been alleging that they’ve been abducted."

“This is probably premature to even talk about this, but I’ve had someone reach out to me and has assured me that I’m going to be on a Zoom call with, you know, former heads of the CIA and Office of Naval Research and people whose bona fide are very easy to track, and they’re concerned about the messaging around all of this to the public, and dampening down panic and conspiracy theories. But the … what is being promised here is a disclosure that is frankly, either the most alarming or the most interesting thing in the world, depending on how you take it, but it’s not a representation of the facts that will give scientific skeptics any comfort, and that’s just … we’re faced with the prospect of having to apologize to the people we’ve been laughing at for the last fifty years who have been alleging that they’ve been abducted or that cattle have been anally probed, pick your punch line.”

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

3 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

"we’re faced with the prospect of having to apologize to the people we’ve been laughing at for the last fifty years who have been alleging that they’ve been abducted or that cattle have been anally probed, pick your punch line.”

Can't wait for that abject hack Jose Chung to be forced to apologise. I always thought "From Outer Space" was a tissue of lies.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Haha 2

@Gfted1 It's getting close! 😁

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-57660603

"A prototype flying car has completed a 35-minute flight between international airports in Nitra and Bratislava, Slovakia.

The hybrid car-aircraft, AirCar, is equipped with a BMW engine and runs on regular petrol-pump fuel.

Its creator, Prof Stefan Klein, said it could fly about 1,000km (600 miles), at a height of 8,200ft (2,500m), and had clocked up 40 hours in the air so far."

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 6/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, InsaneCommander said:

It seems Sam Harris does. He's been claiming to have been contacted by someone from the government who wants his help to disclose the truth about UFOs to the public. And he appears to be taking this seriously, even talking about "the prospect of having to apologize to the people we’ve been laughing at for the last fifty years who have been alleging that they’ve been abducted."

“This is probably premature to even talk about this, but I’ve had someone reach out to me and has assured me that I’m going to be on a Zoom call with, you know, former heads of the CIA and Office of Naval Research and people whose bona fide are very easy to track, and they’re concerned about the messaging around all of this to the public, and dampening down panic and conspiracy theories. But the … what is being promised here is a disclosure that is frankly, either the most alarming or the most interesting thing in the world, depending on how you take it, but it’s not a representation of the facts that will give scientific skeptics any comfort, and that’s just … we’re faced with the prospect of having to apologize to the people we’ve been laughing at for the last fifty years who have been alleging that they’ve been abducted or that cattle have been anally probed, pick your punch line.”

Hey, thanks for sharing this! Very interesting.

For me, it isn't just the people who lied or obfuscated or covered up who need to be held accountable, but also the people who laughed. All people within the academy who scoffed and laughed will have lost all credibility and should be dismissed from their jobs. Far too often, in the West, academics are utterly wrong about things they've said/claimed, and yet they're never held to account. The academy has come full-circle and is now much like the Church from five centuries ago.

• Thanks 1

To add to this discussion, our current materials technology is such that human-made vehicles disintegrate at around 20 g's. Let's say for the sake of argument someone has secretly come up with materials that can handle, say, 50 g's, or even 100 g's. These tic-tacs have been recorded accelerating and maneuvering at 5,000 g's.

31 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Hey, thanks for sharing this! Very interesting.

For me, it isn't just the people who lied or obfuscated or covered up who need to be held accountable, but also the people who laughed. All people within the academy who scoffed and laughed will have lost all credibility and should be dismissed from their jobs. Far too often, in the West, academics are utterly wrong about things they've said/claimed, and yet they're never held to account. The academy has come full-circle and is now much like the Church from five centuries ago.

Some academics have been studying UFOs (just as they do parapsychology, etc).

I think the problem is less about 'academics' and more in general a problem with people who tend towards "absence of evidences IS evidence of absence" (or seeing is believing) that plagues certain people's logic in any field.  

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

44 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Some academics have been studying UFOs (just as they do parapsychology, etc).

I think the problem is less about 'academics' and more in general a problem with people who tend towards "absence of evidences IS evidence of absence" (or seeing is believing) that plagues certain people's logic in any field.  

Yeah, it's an 'absence of evidence means there's nothing there/it doesn't exist' mentality. But it goes farther, to include a 'whatever little evidence there is, I'm going to dismiss out of hand as not being meaningful to me' mentality.

This is why Harvard astrophysicist Avi Loeb is my hero right now, because he is willing to publicly give the Orthodoxy the middle finger.

3 hours ago, kanisatha said:

To add to this discussion, our current materials technology is such that human-made vehicles disintegrate at around 20 g's. Let's say for the sake of argument someone has secretly come up with materials that can handle, say, 50 g's, or even 100 g's. These tic-tacs have been recorded accelerating and maneuvering at 5,000 g's.

What if the tic-tac is the is the NGAD prototype theyre already flying? :p 

I know its not but Im really excited to see whatever form NGAD took.

• Like 2