New Scientific Discoveries, Part Vier

Amentep

Old thread:

Last few posts:

On 5/11/2021 at 7:44 AM, Guard Dog said:

(1) Voyager 1 detected 'Hum' in Deep Space - YouTube

The best guess is gas of varying density. If interstellar space is full of gas that is curious and possible problematic. Velocity meeting resistance creates (micro)friction. Friction means loss of momentum. Sure we're talking about tiny changes but they would be both cumulative and exponential over time. 

On 5/11/2021 at 6:24 PM, rjshae said:

Things that make you go hmmmm

7 hours ago, Raithe said:

It might seem unlikely, but tiny grains of minerals can help tell the story of early Earth. And researchers studying those grains say that 4.4 billion years ago, Earth was a barren, mountainless place, and almost everything was under water. Only a handful of islands poked above the surface.

Scientists at the Australian National University are behind this study, led by researcher Dr. Antony Burnham. The mineral grains in the study are the oldest rocks ever found. They’re 4.4 billion year old zircon mineral grains from the Jack Hills of Western Australia, where they were preserved in sandstone formations.

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Well oceans are teaming with life. Even in the Arctic and Antarctic. So I wouldn’t call it barren. It would definitely suck for us though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Freshly-Made Plutonium From Outer Space Found On Ocean Floor

All of these results suggested that some kind of stellar explosion, probably a supernova, happened in Earth's cosmic neighborhood about 3 million years ago and littered the area with radioactive iron.

This latest study of iron that got incorporated into the slowly-growing layers of a deep sea rock confirms that notion—but also suggests yet another dose of interstellar iron arrived around 6 million years ago. "So there's not just one exploding star, there's two," says Fields.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

6 hours ago, rjshae said:

Gives entirely new meaning to gas masks 😉

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Politically polarized brains share an intolerance of uncertainty

"So whether a person in 2016 was a strongly committed Trump supporter or a strongly committed Clinton supporter, it doesn't matter. What matters is that an aversion to uncertainty only exacerbates how similarly two conservative brains or two liberal brains respond when consuming political content."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

Australian Aluminum-Ion Battery Promises 60X Increase In Charging Speed

I'm a little skeptical, but maybe this really is true. Or maybe it's a self-chilling can hoax.

Firms Still Try for Self-Chilling Cans Despite Idea's Tarnished Reputation

I think there is quite a lot of new battery tech now known but I think we are struggling with cheap manufacturing of graphen in large amounts IIRC

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

2 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Still waiting for the Fallout'sque "Fusion Cell" :)

energy weapon ammo wtf | No Mutants Allowed

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

57 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Still waiting for the Fallout'sque "Fusion Cell" :)

energy weapon ammo wtf | No Mutants Allowed

what is it? Its not fusion cell. This is fusion cell:

Steam Community :: Fallout 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

27 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

what is it? Its not fusion cell. This is fusion cell:

Steam Community :: Fallout 2

It's a Small Energy Cell.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I am an idiot - science

I would prefer hover bike 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Don't you dare give up on the flying car dream!!! 😧

Last night's NOVA was pretty good: "Great Electric Airplane Race". A number of those vehicles could pass for a flying car.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 1:56 AM, Gfted1 said:

Along with my flying car. ;(

But unlike the flying car, I have high hopes that the reactor can become viable.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p09jq1sy/how-close-are-we-to-driving-flying-cars-

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57339989

"More than 100 baby squid and 5,000 microscopic animals are set to be launched to the International Space Station (ISS) on Thursday.

The creatures, along with other equipment for experiments, will head to the ISS aboard Space X's Falcon 9 rocket.

Its hoped that the experiments will be able to help scientists understand the effects of spaceflight.

The launch at 13:29 EDT (17:29 GMT) will be broadcast live by Nasa."

From this 🤔

Juvenile bobtail squid swimming in seawater just after hatching

To this? 😁

Cthulhu's evil overlord: why the fantasy world turned on HP Lovecraft

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1