Can't launch the game - EGS Graphics Error

Tylanor

Question

Hey all,

I really don't understand, everything went well until EGS made some automatic update on PoE. Now i can't play the game anymore : each time i try to, i get this error :

"Failed to initialize graphics.
Make sure you have DirectX 11 installed, have up to date
drivers for your graphics card and have not disabled
3D acceleration in display settings.
InitializeEngineGraphics failed"

I use Windows 7 (updated), i updated all my gpu drivers (GTX 1050 Ti), and the dxdiag shows that i do have DirectX 11 with 3D acceleration enabled.

Really don't know what to do...

Thanks all

14 answers to this question

Hi. using google translator here.

this problem appears when I try to run the game on windows 7. I managed to solve using an application to configure shaders called RESHADE. when I opened RESHADE, I added the pillars of eternity executable to the selection screen and chose the directx 10/11/12 option. I didn't check any more options. when confirming the selection, I closed the reshade. so the game worked normally. I can't explain well why this worked. maybe some expert could. maybe it works for you.

this is the link where i got it: https://reshade.me/.

"just for the record, my drivers were up to date and direx was up to date."

Edited by Frozt96
added content between quotation marks
  • Like 1

Hey Tylanor, I don't know if you fixed your issue and I didn't get the DirectX thing but I also had problems with the game when EGS updated it. Try verifying the game by going the library and clicking the three dots under the game picture and chose verify, That worked for me.

I'm getting that same error message after that recent 9GB update, I'm playing Pillars of Eternity - Definitive Edition from Epic Games. This is how the error looks like:

Error.png.c0fe68d1735f7ad9c3f83434606d4a7b.png

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by xZabuzax

11 hours ago, xZabuzax said:

I'm getting that same error message after that recent 9GB update, I'm playing Pillars of Eternity - Definitive Edition from Epic Games. This is how the error looks like:

Error.png.c0fe68d1735f7ad9c3f83434606d4a7b.png

Any help is appreciated.

This is excatly the error i get. Do you use Windows 7 or 10 ?

12 hours ago, Tylanor said:

This is excatly the error i get. Do you use Windows 7 or 10 ?

I use Windows 7, you are using Windows 7 too.

Now I know exactly what happened, I've recently found out that Obsidian Entertainment is owned by Microsoft, unfortunately Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 and hence, any new update from any Microsoft game won't work on Windows 7 anymore.

Goddamn that really pissed me off, people using Windows 7 are screwed now.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:45 AM, xZabuzax said:

Now I know exactly what happened, I've recently found out that Obsidian Entertainment is owned by Microsoft, unfortunately Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 and hence, any new update from any Microsoft game won't work on Windows 7 anymore.

That can't be, it is a misrepresentation of minimum requirements, dude

21 hours ago, Kribli Bob said:

That can't be, it is a misrepresentation of minimum requirements, dude

Yeah you're right, the minimum requirements to run this game is Windows 7 but something is going on with Epic Games and Windows 7, those guys apparently hate Windows 7 now or something. This same issue recently happened with another game from Epic Games and the one having that issue is also using Windows 7, take a look:

Epic Games is screwing this up pretty badly, I hope they fix this sh!t.

Edited by xZabuzax

Hi all,

Sorry for didn't responding earlier, was pretty busy. 

I managed to fix that problem : i just use the "Restauration System" (using a date before the 9Gb update). Then, I re-downloaded the update, and the game works ! No more error !

If you can't use the "Restauration System", I guess re-install the game will do the same effect (because basically I re-installed the update).

Hope that can help !

Edited by Tylanor

12 hours ago, Tylanor said:

Hi all,

Sorry for didn't responding earlier, was pretty busy. 

I managed to fix that problem : i just use the "Restauration System" (using a date before the 9Gb update). Then, I re-downloaded the update, and the game works ! No more error !

If you can't use the "Restauration System", I guess re-install the game will do the same effect (because basically I re-installed the update).

Hope that can help !

I'm glad to know you managed to fix it, unfortunately I don't have a Restore System before the 9GB patch so I can't do it but I did try Uninstalling/Reinstalling the game and I still get the same error.

On 5/12/2021 at 4:45 PM, xZabuzax said:

That's not how that works, if that was the case it would be a news worthy story.

Likely they didn't test their update on any Windows 7 machines and didn't catch whatever bug is causing this. If enough people report the bug perhaps they will fix.

Perhaps

On 8/17/2021 at 7:09 AM, Frozt96 said:

Hi. using google translator here.

this problem appears when I try to run the game on windows 7. I managed to solve using an application to configure shaders called RESHADE. when I opened RESHADE, I added the pillars of eternity executable to the selection screen and chose the directx 10/11/12 option. I didn't check any more options. when confirming the selection, I closed the reshade. so the game worked normally. I can't explain well why this worked. maybe some expert could. maybe it works for you.

this is the link where i got it: https://reshade.me/.

"just for the record, my drivers were up to date and direx was up to date."

After verify on the epic launcher, I followed the instructions listed using RESHADE, and it worked.  Thanks Frotz96!

So glad to be able to try this game finally.