The all things Poltical topic - We bear our banners aloft, boots like Drums Our Cadence quick, our countenance dire.

Gorth

I don't see making sure someone understands how to operate, maintain a firearm and things like being aware of the laws around its use as arbitrary.  Wouldn't help in this case as you can't train out stupid, but would help ensure you have quality gun owners.  Based off the ones I see on Youtube there's a fair amount of chaff to cut 😛

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You guys know I’ve pointed this out before but if people were serious about ending gun ownership in America at least on the scale that it currently exists it would be very easy to do. In fact you could probably do it within three generations. Do two things:

1) Stop trying to ban it. It puts peoples backs up and makes everything in the NRA propaganda true. Every time the word gun control comes up the NRA gets 100 new members. If you want to put out that fire take away the fuel. Tell the gun control tyrants to STFU. 

2) Stop glorifying firearms. They are in the video games. They’re in the movies. Walk into any Walmart and they’ll be at least 100 different toy guns on the shelf. Change the culture. That will dampen the appeal.

People in rural areas are ALWAYS going to have firearms. They are a part of life. The average family in the suburbs does not have to protect livestock from predatory animals. People will still want a firearm for self defense. Mainly in the home. But the numbers will begin to diminish and the number of firearms people like that purchase will begin to go down.

The third amendment of the United States Constitution prohibits the government from quartering soldiers in People’s homes. This has not happened since the revolutionary war. The third amendment solves a problem no one has. The second amendment can go the same way of the third if people begin to lose interest in firearms. That’s how you get rid of guns in the United States. or at the very least seriously reduce the numbers of people who have them.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I don't see making sure someone understands how to operate, maintain a firearm and things like being aware of the laws around its use as arbitrary.  Wouldn't help in this case as you can't train out stupid, but would help ensure you have quality gun owners.  Based off the ones I see on Youtube there's a fair amount of chaff to cut 😛

Drivers licenses could honestly use a similar mechanism. It's just so tough to meaningfully implement it in a way that people will ever respond to in a responsible/positive manner (especially in the growing idiotocracy that is the U.S.) as opposed to just seeing it as a series of hoops they have to pass so they can continue being idiots every other day but the one they're being trained not to. It's easy enough to train a monkey...but in this case, you're trusting that the monkey will remain consistent to their training without any kind of supervision for years at a time and hoping that they won't deliberately decide to get themselves bit and go completely rabid in the interim.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

19 minutes ago, Malcador said:

If my years of college have taught me anything, it's that the dumbest mother****ers in the world could pass a test and retain no knowledge at all.

The big problem with gun control in the US is who would enforce it. Given the last year plus some, I trust them less than I trust the Nigerian prince who would email my parents with offers of millions in cash back when I was a young'un.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands