The all things Poltical topic - We bear our banners aloft, boots like Drums Our Cadence quick, our countenance dire.

Gorth

Speaking of nuclear tests... that one time the French won a naval battle!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bunch of DGSE cretins mining a civilian ship in a theoretically friendly country's harbour is stretching the definition of 'naval battle' a bit. Technically it was probably a draw anyway, both sides lost a ship and the French lost twice as many people, albeit none dead.

Still the only act of international terrorism committed in New Zealand, and it was by the country 1 in 50 of our population never came back from after traveling 20,000km to defend it in WW1. Then people wonder why we've zero interest in picking fights with countries thousands of km away just to support out 'allies' any more.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Still the only act of international terrorism committed in New Zealand

You could argue that it was the first of two acts of international terrorism in New Zealand. The second being that deranged Aussie running amok with his guns, killing dozens of people.

(with friends like these...)

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

30 minutes ago, Gorth said:

You could argue that it was the first of two acts of international terrorism in New Zealand. The second being that deranged Aussie running amok with his guns, killing dozens of people.

(with friends like these...)

Think we class that as domestic terrorism since he had a right to be here and was not an agent of any overseas organisation.

Though I think the general inclination of Australia to try and use New Zealand as a dumping ground for its home grown criminals and terrorists is why they aren't finding us very supportive in their fight with China- and the whole Rainbow Warrior affair left a generation of New Zealanders with the memory of being bombed by a supposed friend then told to 'suck it up' by supposed allies like Maggot Thatcher. Thus we have a very realistic assessment of exactly how much reciprocal 'friendship' we can expect from allies were the going to get tough, and have no appetite for supporting them when they pick fights we have far less stake in.

• Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Think we class that as domestic terrorism since he had a right to be here and was not an agent of any overseas organisation.

Though I think the general inclination of Australia to try and use New Zealand as a dumping ground for its home grown criminals and terrorists is why they aren't finding us very supportive in their fight with China- and the whole Rainbow Warrior affair left a generation of New Zealanders with the memory of being bombed by a supposed friend then told to 'suck it up' by supposed allies like Maggot Thatcher. Thus we have a very realistic assessment of exactly how much reciprocal 'friendship' we can expect from allies were the going to get tough, and have no appetite for supporting them when they pick fights we have far less stake in.

Zora that is an  extremely unhelpful and inaccurate comment. Of course everyone likes NZ, you guys produce good diary, you have excellent rugby and cricket teams and you like your sheep

But you have to accept and be grateful with your relationship with Australia. You would be hugely impacted  without the economic and social  benefits that come from Oz.

Gorthfuscious is too polite to say this but you should  be thanking Australia for allowing NZ to share the burden of their criminals. You and I both know its true if we honest :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Athletes will never be silent again

Bah. If I cared about the opinions of someone who chased a ball I'd ask Sunny. 

• Haha 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Zora that is an  extremely unhelpful and inaccurate comment. Of course everyone likes NZ, you guys produce good diary, you have excellent rugby and cricket teams and you like your sheep

Unfortunately, I never could produce good diary. I'm envious.

• Haha 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Trump telling people he will be reinstated as president in August.

I know someone who’s going to be very disappointed come August.

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Local politics, but is more funny I guess

Ah dang it image deleted.

This is the crackhead mayor's widow (who's been ****ed over by her brother in law regarding money involved) saying Communists and the current mayor murdered her husband. 

:lol:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Et tu, Canada?

We've got racists, idiots, nutjobs in fair amounts.  Cause du jour is the ChiCom menace (they killed Nortel!!1111)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 minutes ago, Malcador said:

We've got racists, idiots, nutjobs in fair amounts.  Cause du jour is the ChiCom menace (they killed Nortel!!1111)

I’m going to steal a line from the Game of Thrones TV show. “You must forgive them their flights a fancy. It’s dreary in the north“ 😆

• Haha 4

Thomas Sowell

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

12 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

That woman certainly didn’t exercise any of it did she? She should’ve left the gun in the house where it belonged. What is it about that story that makes you think some 50-70 million people (rough estimate of the number of known gun owners in the US) who did nothing wrong and were not involved in this deserve to be stripped of their private property or constitutional liberty?

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Wonder if there'll be a spike of idiots with guns in Texas after their change.

11 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

That woman certainly didn’t exercise any of it did she? She should’ve left the gun in the house where it belonged. What is it about that story that makes you think some 50-70 million people (rough estimate of the number of known gun owners in the US) who did nothing wrong and were not involved in this deserve to be stripped of their private property or constitutional liberty?

Yeah, I'm pretty ambivalent on the subject of gun control (well, more like split and torn on it rather than simply ambivalent), but if we made something that can be dangerous if improperly used illegal every time some idiot who lacked either intelligent thought or training, we would not be able to drive cars, ride bicycles, use blades sharper than butter knives... I wish there was some magical solution for preventing both the untrained and genuine morons from using any of these things, but no-one has yet to come up with any kind of solution...especially in a country that has more guns (and cars?) than citizens.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Could always have mandatory re-testing every so often to prove competence.  Surprised they don't do that for cars.

23 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

That's the typical straw man every gun loving American uses about gun control. Gun control doesn't mean stripping everyone of every gun there is. At all.

Anyway, I just thought that for the poor dog you'd do anything. Anything! 😢<--that's a single tear

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Could always have mandatory re-testing every so often to prove competence.  Surprised they don't do that for cars.

Sure. We should also do that for voting. After all don’t want those morons voting third-party do we? That’s just wasting your vote. We should definitely do it for free speech. How can we just let people say whatever they want? What if it’s something wrong? We could also have a test and issue a license for the right to be secure in your home. Maybe people should prove why the government should stay out of their houses. There probably should also be a test for whether or not someone should receive a trial by jury. After all how many times have someone come up on charges when everyone just knows they’re guilty. we should probably also have a test on whether or not someone should be exempted from cruel and unusual punishment. Some of these bastards probably deserve it. Or maybe a test about whether or not someone should be enslaved. Some folks aren’t good for much else right?

yeah I’m being sarcastic here but it becomes problematic when you start having tests and putting the government in a position to deny someone a right because of an arbitrary reason. 

besides firearm ownership is subject to numerous restrictions. More than any other right. Incidentally this woman will not be able to own that handgun after all this is said and done. She broke numerous laws the moment she pointed to her gun at that dog and pulled the trigger. At least three of which off the top of my head are Felonise. That means no more guns for her. Not legally anyway.

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Pidesco said:

That's the typical straw man every gun loving American uses about gun control. Gun control doesn't mean stripping everyone of every gun there is. At all.

Anyway, I just thought that for the poor dog you'd do anything. Anything! 😢<--that's a single tear

That’s not a strawman. That’s what gun control is. Nothing said in that article leads me to believe that that handgun was illegal or that it was illegally owned. Although as I pointed out in my last post it certainly will be taken away from her after this. So if your suggestion is that she should not have had a legally owned handgun and that gun control might have prevented this you are implying that gun control WOULD have taken it from her. And you would probably be right.

gun control can certainly mean a lot of things. But of this I am 100% sure: the ultimate aim is prohibition and confiscation. Every “reasonable” step between here and there is just a means to an inevitable end. If that one thing we’re not so then I would be more amenable to excepting some kind of gun control.

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

also, you're the one that just vaguely said "how about some gun control now" with zero context for your statement given

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.