The all things Poltical topic - We bear our banners aloft, boots like Drums Our Cadence quick, our countenance dire.

Gorth

21 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Labor is a widget. It has an absolute value. The value like any other widget goes up and down. When the value of the labor is below the cost of the labor you get layoffs. Of course employers are going to try to keep that value as low as possible. And the people who provide the widget are going to try to keep it as high as possible. But when the cost exceeds the value that’s trouble.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Republican party members demand reform. Party may splinter.

I turned my back on the republican party over 20 years ago. It was probably more the other way around actually. The last Republican I voted for was John McCain. Not because I aligned with him politically. Not even close. Only because Obama scared me. Needlessly as it turned out. The Republican Party has completely lost its way. It was the party of limited government, fiscal responsibility, personal liberty. Now it is none of those things. I’m not even sure what the heck it is. All that said I take no pleasure in seeing it self-destruct. Like I said before I’m just glad Reagan and Goldwater are not here to see it.

Trump was a scourge. And the unchecked rule of economically destructive and authoritarian Democrat government is going to be his legacy.

Hindsight and all that, but Trump didn't take over the GOP base by chance, and Reagan's administration was a definite and essential part of the path the GOP took, from the 60s and the Southern Strategy, until today.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's sort of old news (1 week old), but that's a lot of expensive assets amassed in one place... looks kind of silly though, cut and pasting the same image 3 times into the same pic. Yes, heavily photoshopped picture as click bait. The footage is ok though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

18 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Hindsight and all that, but Trump didn't take over the GOP base by chance, and Reagan's administration was a definite and essential part of the path the GOP took, from the 60s and the Southern Strategy, until today.

Reagan and those who came after him did not get into office by inciting nationalism nor by convincing people that their political opponents were  their literal enemies. In fact Reagan got along very well with a solidly democrat controlled Congress including some members like Ted Kennedy who were out right hostile to him. In 1980 Reagan won 48 states. In 1984 he won 49 The argument that he used some kind of “Southern strategy” just fails. He was not Nixon.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

To tell you guys the truth of Ronald Reagan were alive today I don’t think the current Republican Party would have him. He’d be run out and called a RINO.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

15 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Reagan and those who came after him did not get into office by inciting nationalism nor by convincing people that their political opponents were  their literal enemies. In fact Reagan got along very well with a solidly democrat controlled Congress including some members like Ted Kennedy who were out right hostile to him. In 1980 Reagan won 48 states. In 1984 he won 49 The argument that he used some kind of “Southern strategy” just fails. He was not Nixon.

I agree but  I dont support this idea that Trumpism is the future of the GOP

I am frustrated with the support things like the " Big Lie ", Trump won the election, is currently getting from many Republicans and I am very disappointed that Liz Cheney has been thrown under the bus  for speaking the truth but the support for Trump is all about the base and political expediency and the midterm elections. So many  Republicans are almost betraying their principles all in the interest of staying in power and or keeping their political status ....look what happens when you go against Trump publicly 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Labor is a widget. It has an absolute value. The value like any other widget goes up and down. When the value of the labor is below the cost of the labor you get layoffs. Of course employers are going to try to keep that value as low as possible. And the people who provide the widget are going to try to keep it as high as possible. But when the cost exceeds the value that’s trouble.

Come on mr Biden and mr Powell and House Democrats. ONE MORE STIMMY CHECK WITH PRINTED CASH. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/us-core-consumer-prices-explode-higher-fastest-pace-1981

Lets kill the value of dollar and its reserve currency hegemony status. 

It's like China and Russia don't have to do anything other than wait for the morons to implode Western economy... 

Edited by Darkpriest

21 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

To tell you guys the truth of Ronald Reagan were alive today I don’t think the current Republican Party would have him. He’d be run out and called a RINO.

They voted out Liz Chaney, who is one of the most Conservative members of the institution. It's clearly not about political beliefs as much as it's about ego worship.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

11 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Come on mr Biden and mr Powell and House Democrats. ONE MORE STIMMY CHECK WITH PRINTED CASH. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/us-core-consumer-prices-explode-higher-fastest-pace-1981

It's like China and Russia don't have to do anything other than wait for the morons to implode Western economy... 

people call me crazy for being a “prepper “. 
well, if I’m wrong I was just a guy who spent a little extra money and got things he needed anyway with the added bonus of much lower electric bills than average. And if I am right then at least I know I won’t be the one to starve to death.

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, rjshae said:

They voted out Liz Chaney, who is one of the most Conservative members of the institution. It's clearly not about political beliefs as much as it's about ego worship.

That’s exactly right. And it’s led to where we are today were you don’t even know what the political beliefs of the republican party even are.

Thomas Sowell

34 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

people call me crazy for being a “prepper “. 
well, if I’m wrong I was just a guy who spent a little extra money and got things he needed anyway with the added bonus of much lower electric bills than average. And if I am right then at least I know I won’t be the one to starve to death.

I expect things going hotter through June, then some rebound through Q3 with ups and downs, things will look stable and then end of year, early Q1 2022 

Late Q3 and Q4 will be pivotal in decisionmaking by FED, Bidens admin and Dems 

Edited by Darkpriest

3 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

I don't understand the people who think stimulus checks are just printed money. 

It isn't, it is money that we already were forced to give to the government. They are giving 'some' of it back.

Do you think consumer prices are increasing because people have too much cash? That seems to be your theory based on the link you posted.

10 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

It isn't, it is money that we already were forced to give to the government. They are giving 'some' of it back.

Do you think consumer prices are increasing because people have too much cash? That seems to be your theory based on the link you posted.

Actually yes too much money can lead to an increase in the price of goods because this can lead to a shortage of goods so yes this can be a valid reason for the rise  of inflation 

https://www.thebalance.com/consumer-spending-definition-and-determinants-3305917

To quote from the link

The most important determinant is disposable income. That's the average income minus taxes.6 Without it, no one would have the funds to buy the things they need. That makes disposable income one of the most important determinants of demand. As income increases so does demand. If manufacturers ramp up to meet demand, they create jobs. Workers' wages rise, creating more spending. It's a virtuous cycle leading to ongoing economic expansion. If demand increases but manufacturers don't increase supply, then they will raise prices. That creates inflation

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

As I write this the United States government is $28,277,872,205,698.00 in debt. Both actual debt and unfunded future liability. This is increasing at a rate of $76,000 per second. The budget deficit this year alone is $3,263,054,080,196. So yes, just like every penny Leviathan spends the stimulus checks are just made up funny money. 

Thomas Sowell

Everything you both are saying is correct. But we also pay a bunch of money in taxes every year. How many people are getting more in stimulus money than they have to pay the IRS every year? I doubt anybody is actually pulling in a profit here. If taxation is theft, then an IRS payment is at least a partial return of stolen money. 

Some folks are getting more in tax return every year than they actually pay in taxes. I still haven’t wrap my head around how that was fair. If it were up to me I’d shtcan the whole progressive tax plan. 15% and everyone pays. And taxes are due on November 1. Right before the election. I want people walking in that voting booth thinking about how sore their butt holes are. But it’s not up to me.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

Everything you both are saying is correct. But we also pay a bunch of money in taxes every year. How many people are getting more in stimulus money than they have to pay the IRS every year? I doubt anybody is actually pulling in a profit here. If taxation is theft, then an IRS payment is at least a partial return of stolen money. 

You only pay taxes on the money that do not escape your country, through let say imports and trade deficits. You also don't pay taxes for items which are circulated in the not-entirely legal cash flows (untaxed incomes, and sales), and there are always items, which corporations and large asset owners can freeze up, through lets say cheap debt and stock buybacks, or investing into assets offshore, where you will never see that money back, but you will feel the price increases in your pocket, once you will start spending 40-50% of your disposable income on basic food needs and another 40+% on your rent (considering median income in US as bemchmark).

Edited by Darkpriest

37 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Some folks are getting more in tax return every year than they actually pay in taxes. I still haven’t wrap my head around how that was fair. If it were up to me I’d shtcan the whole progressive tax plan. 15% and everyone pays. And taxes are due on November 1. Right before the election. I want people walking in that voting booth thinking about how sore their butt holes are. But it’s not up to me.

15% punishes the poorest.

15% is considerable less than the wealthy pay.

15% would vast increase the debt you is concerned 'bout, 'cause innumerable programs has durations which require 'em to be funded for more than the next couple years, and you are talking about a massive functional tax cut for the rich. massive revenue shortfall.

etc.

worst

plan

evar

HA! Good Fun!

ps point to anecdotal situations where an individual shows losses for a given year and is able to get a considerable refund is exceptions. the obvious response when such exceptions is inequitable is to make corrections so such exceptions is not exploitive. s-can the system 'cause o' uncommon exceptions is not reasonable. 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

If taxation is theft, then an IRS payment is at least a partial return of stolen money. 

is not false imprisonment if you is sentenced to years in prison for murdering your neighbor. claim you personal never agreed to such laws and punishments would be laughed away as nonsensical, no? nevertheless, the exact same argument when used to defend the notion that taxes is theft persists. weird.

EconEdLink-911-.jpg

the founders were not demanding an end to taxation, 'cause that would be stoopid. "no taxation without representation." is not theft if, through social contract, your state or nation or territory agrees to such taxes. unfortunate for washington dc, and the us territories, they get no fed representation, so...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Some folks are getting more in tax return every year than they actually pay in taxes. I still haven’t wrap my head around how that was fair.

Life's not fair. Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and game the tax system yourself instead of asking the government to make people pay more taxes.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

15% punishes the poorest.

15% is considerable less than the wealthy pay.

15% would vast increase the debt you is concerned 'bout, 'cause innumerable programs has durations which require 'em to be funded for more than the next couple years, and you are talking about a massive functional tax cut for the rich. massive revenue shortfall.

etc.

worst

plan

evar

HA! Good Fun!

ps point to anecdotal situations where an individual shows losses for a given year and is able to get a considerable refund is exceptions. the obvious response when such exceptions is inequitable is to make corrections so such exceptions is not exploitive. s-can the system 'cause o' uncommon exceptions is not reasonable. 

Actually, the tax to be fair should be linear. I recall something around 17% was a good number. 

Make sure that all income types are taxed, and that any offshore income is taxed as well witha difference in tax rates between locations. 

How you help the people on the lower range of income is to assist in keeping prices for their regular spendings low.

Some examples

Have 0% sales tax on retail groceries, and have 30% sales tax on yachts, jewelry, etc. Make sure that you push a personal transactional wealth tax for any goods/assets bought abroad, which would meet certain criteria and differentiate those with various rates. Have some rent assist payment program for people with low incomes. Address housing market price bubbles by incresing tax rate on all owned real estate with each extra purchase beyond 2 or 3 and make the base dependant on the current market value or some combination of that. 

There are many options to differentiate income sources for the budget, but you would not penelize people for investing in themselves and in the economy with a sloppy and an unfair solution of a progressive rate tax. 

However, first you'd need to turn off the printing machine at FED and near 0 cost ez money for the top 1%

sales tax on yachts? 

*chuckle*

to stay revenue neutral requires at least 23% and possible as high as 30%, depending on where conservatives is willing to install a floor, which pretty much everybody but gd would deem necessary.

poor get poorer and rich get richer in some misguided attempt to achieve an obtuse notion o' fairness? 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir