The all things Poltical topic - We bear our banners aloft, boots like Drums Our Cadence quick, our countenance dire.

Gorth

15 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

no doubt putin has many things on his mind. having individual doctors and covid patients fall from windows is gonna be kinda far down the list o' stuff on his personal to do list.

1) navalny

2) have more stripper poles installed at the pleasure palace 

3) navalny

4)boris mikhailov refused an invitation to my hockey event. "seventy six years old," is hardly a decent excuse. maybe he suffers an "icing" penalty from which he never recovers...

5) navalny

6) navalny

etc.

putin, whatever his flaws, ain't an idiot. 

HA! Good Fun!

I think you grossly overestimate the Navalny part. 

I'd say it's probably somewhere really far down, not sure if even on the top 100 list. 

• Like 1

you did notice the list included stripper poles and boris mikhailov, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

48 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

You never know, stripper poles can be important 😂

Are you a @BruceVCalt? 🤔

• Haha 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

From a different corner of the world, which we rarely hear about... maybe because there are so few (or no) French posters here

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/11/france-macron-govt-military-clash-over-civil-war-warning

We are not talking about extending your mandates or conquering others. We are talking about the survival of our country, the survival of your country,” said the latest letter, which was addressed to Macron and his cabinet.

The authors described themselves as soldiers from the younger generation of the military, a so-called “generation of fire” that had seen active service."

I first picked up on this story a few days ago on the BBC site, but apparently there is a growing conflict between the French army and the French government.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57055154

"French soldiers warn of civil war in new letter"

"The letter to the government last month came from semi-retired generals. The minister in charge of the armed forces, Florence Parly, said they would be punished for defying a law that forbids reservists or serving members of the military from expressing opinions in public on religion and politics."

I should stock of on Cognac while there is still peace in France...

• Thanks 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Thanks 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Land of the free.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

27 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Land of the free.

Subjectively speaking I guess. Objectively no way, not even close. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Is there a link to the video in question?

I’m looking on YouTube for it now. Nothing so far. It may be that she really was interfering with what the police were doing. You can’t do that. But if she was arrested simply for recording then the decision was wrong. And definitely should be appealed. It all comes down to what the video actually shows.

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Is there a link to the video in question?

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-palm-beach-county/boynton-beach/appeals-court-rules-against-mother-who-recorded-boynton-beach-police-in-2009

That has a clip of it I believe. It's embedded in the report, not a youtube one.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Found it funny they charged her with wiretapping.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Didn't see that one coming...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57081142

"A US judge has dismissed a bankruptcy case involving the National Rifle Association (NRA), leaving it to face a lawsuit that could see the powerful organisation dissolved.

In a written statement, the judge said gun-rights group did not file for bankruptcy in good faith."

20 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

You never know, stripper poles can be important 😂

Especially load-bearing stripper poles. Without those, well the whole place could fold.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

House, Justice Department report deal on McGahn testimony

"A spokesperson for Trump, Jason Miller, said the former president was reviewing his legal options."

Former Trump Officials To Defend Federal Response To Capitol Riot

"He (christopher miller) is expected to also cite "commentary in the media about the possibility of a military coup or that advisors to the President were advocating the declaration of martial law" as a reason for seeking to limit the use of the military."

The Official and Unofficial Timeline of Defense Department Actions on January 6

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/israel-palestinian-fighting-worsens/2021/05/11/a1886c9a-b1c6-11eb-bc96-fdf55de43bef_story.html

I am sure we are following the latest violence between the Israelis and the Palestinians

It always amazes me when groups supporting the Palestinians, groups in SA for example, say things like " Israel are the aggressors and the Palestinians always the victims " ...yet they conveniently ignore how HAMAS is not deescalating the tension and they are firing hundreds of rockets into Israel

Like any country in the world would accept rockets being fired into its sovereign territory ?  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/israel-palestinian-fighting-worsens/2021/05/11/a1886c9a-b1c6-11eb-bc96-fdf55de43bef_story.html

I am sure we are following the latest violence between the Israelis and the Palestinians

It always amazes me when groups supporting the Palestinians, groups in SA for example, say things like " Israel are the aggressors and the Palestinians always the victims " ...yet they conveniently ignore how HAMAS is not deescalating the tension and they are firing hundreds of rockets into Israel

Like any country in the world would accept rockets being fired into its sovereign territory ?  

So if someone comes to evict you and beat you up, you just bend a knee and do not react? 

I guess we should stop criticizing China then? 

What Hamas done is not right, but we can't ignore underlying issues which created the tensions. People have a breaking point. On one side you condemn profiling by Police, even if data would support such, on the other hand you apporve the same type of data suppprted profiling by Israelis (imagine this type of behavior by US police around various 'hoods') 

It's good to hear both sides of the conflict, but bear in mind that there is a lot of propaganda wars flying around social medias now. 

Edited by Darkpriest

2 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

So if someone comes to evict you and beat you up, you just bend a knee and do not react? 

I guess we should stop criticizing China then? 

What Hamas done is not right, but we can't ignore underlying issues which created the tensions. People have a breaking point. On one side you condemn profiling by Police, even if data would support such, on the other hand you apporve the same type of data suppprted profiling by Israelis (imagine this type of behavior by US police around various 'hoods') 

Comparing the profiling of African Americans by the police in the USA to the years of conflict between  Israel and the Palestinians is  so different and so far apart historically I cannot even begin to respond ..sorry :shrugz:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Comparing the profiling of African Americans by the police in the USA to the years of conflict between  Israel and the Palestinians is  so different and so far apart historically I cannot even begin to respond ..sorry :shrugz:

How many die of gang voilence and use of firearms in US and how many die of act of voilence in Israel and palestine conflict area outside of the intifadas? 

You know what are the rights of those people there? 

I've added a recent interview a post earlier. 

EDIT: Also, the point is not about comparing the two in terms of rights and wrongs, but to show that continued, stoked and sustained perception of being mistreated, can lead groups of people to explode and act not in a rational way, but rather instinctively, like a wounded/beated animal. 

Edited by Darkpriest

Yeah, the thought that a South African really cannot think of a single reason why the ANC etc supports the Palestinians is... incredible, in the old sense. If nothing else the ANC got plenty of training from the PLO etc. RSA also had the ethnic specific roads, bantustans etc which Israel has well within living memory.

They're also not going to be particularly concerned with terrorist designations and the like when a certain prominent ANC leader was considered a terrorist until, er, 2008.

• Hmmm 1

Republican party members demand reform. Party may splinter.

I turned my back on the republican party over 20 years ago. It was probably more the other way around actually. The last Republican I voted for was John McCain. Not because I aligned with him politically. Not even close. Only because Obama scared me. Needlessly as it turned out. The Republican Party has completely lost its way. It was the party of limited government, fiscal responsibility, personal liberty. Now it is none of those things. I’m not even sure what the heck it is. All that said I take no pleasure in seeing it self-destruct. Like I said before I’m just glad Reagan and Goldwater are not here to see it.

Trump was a scourge. And the unchecked rule of economically destructive and authoritarian Democrat government is going to be his legacy.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

19 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Yeah, the thought that a South African really cannot think of a single reason why the ANC etc supports the Palestinians is... incredible, in the old sense. If nothing else the ANC got plenty of training from the PLO etc. RSA also had the ethnic specific roads, bantustans etc which Israel has well within living memory.

They're also not going to be particularly concerned with terrorist designations and the like when a certain prominent ANC leader was considered a terrorist until, er, 2008.

Firstly the ANC was never a real terrorist organization because the Apartheid system wasn't a legitimate system and  the ANC was trying to achieve legitimate and reasonable change and true equality. So the labelling of the ANC as a terrorist organization was inaccurate. The ANC was never the same as other real terrorist groups like the IRA or Libya from that time period 

Secondly the so called " alliance " between the ANC from the 1970'Ss   was not  with Hamas, it was with the PLO and that is not the same as the Hamas today so your argument is  false as it  is not the same historical friendship with the same political group 

Thirdly nowadays  Hamas is politically aligned with the hardliners in Iran and refuses to recognize  Israel has a right to exist, you cannot negotiate  or compromise if one side refuses you have a right to exist. That falls on Hamas

Finally the ANC is split nowadays and inconsistent on many  global foreign policy decisions and that was not my original point which I will repeat. Their are  support groups within SA that ignore any violence from Hamas and expect that all South Africans must vilify Israel as the aggressors. Firing hundreds of rockets into Israel does not demonstrate peace or non-aggression 

John Milton