How do you get yourself through multiple playthroughs?

2 hours ago, Reent said:

The last translated book (english to german) i read butchered it... in the original i didn't need to know who was speaking, everyone had his unique quirks and i could tell who is who with just 1-2 sentences... the translation? Dwarfs, elfs, humans... everyone spoke the same way, no way to differentiate it at all.

One sad fact about translation is that it's very hard to do well, so there are too many bad translations around.

One thing that might interest cRPG people is that the first Swedish translation of LotR is reputedly quite poor. Tolkien knew Swedish and was able to correspond with the Swedish translator, who has apparently a very haughty fellow. It didn't end well. Some of this correspondence has been printed in Tolkien's Letters. For years, the Swedes had to do with a very poor translation of the Ring trilogy, but it has subsequently been re-translated. (I haven't read either translation, as my Swedish is not very good at all.)

Edited by xzar_monty

Roleplay

1st playthrough only do quests and join sides you think your guy would actually join.

2n playthrough do the samething with a different character. 

If you see it all in 1st run then ofcourse you cant play it a second time

Here are some ways to make muiltiple playthroughs interesting:

1)  Create a unique MC, using a thematic build, and build your party around the MC. Try to use different companions each time, and choose new classes for them if you'd like. For example, I am trying Serafen as an SC Barb this time.

2) Avoid the DLCs, unless you really like them. I find the DLCs a bit grindy, although they offer some good items. The real theme of this game is wandering islands, having short encounters, and moving onto the next island. I feel like the DLCs move back toward the direction of POE 1 with long dungeons. 

3) Megabosses are fun, but not worth it if you find it tedious or boring. Once you have beaten them without cheese many times, you can use Gouging Strike nad Lover's True kiss , turn up game speed, and kill several of them

a) this works for Dorudugan, The Spider, and the Wizard megabosses I think. For the blob, you can just use Marux amanth's insta kill skill. Boost your accuracy , and dual wield it for 2 chances. 

3) Choose different paths for quests, and really roleplay. This makes it more fun

4) Take breaks between Playthroughs. I take a few weeks or months between playthroughs, and do some other genres of games i like (Natural Selection 2, Left for Dead 2) then come back to RPGS. Or , go play Skyrim for a while then return with a fresh perspective!

5) Read these Forums for excellent ideas on builds and items! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjo2138 said:

Here are some ways to make muiltiple playthroughs interesting:

1)  Create a unique MC, using a thematic build, and build your party around the MC. Try to use different companions each time, and choose new classes for them if you'd like. For example, I am trying Serafen as an SC Barb this time.

2) Avoid the DLCs, unless you really like them. I find the DLCs a bit grindy, although they offer some good items. The real theme of this game is wandering islands, having short encounters, and moving onto the next island. I feel like the DLCs move back toward the direction of POE 1 with long dungeons. 

3) Megabosses are fun, but not worth it if you find it tedious or boring. Once you have beaten them without cheese many times, you can use Gouging Strike nad Lover's True kiss , turn up game speed, and kill several of them

a) this works for Dorudugan, The Spider, and the Wizard megabosses I think. For the blob, you can just use Marux amanth's insta kill skill. Boost your accuracy , and dual wield it for 2 chances. 

3) Choose different paths for quests, and really roleplay. This makes it more fun

4) Take breaks between Playthroughs. I take a few weeks or months between playthroughs, and do some other genres of games i like (Natural Selection 2, Left for Dead 2) then come back to RPGS. Or , go play Skyrim for a while then return with a fresh perspective!

5) Read these Forums for excellent ideas on builds and items! 

Excellent suggestions. It took me 6 years to finish my first play through of dragon age inquisition after all the restarts and game decision paralysis and taking breaks.😀

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Ophiuchus said:

Start the game in Normal difficulty no scaling with the level 4, merchant, and fine weapon BBs; solo starting quests for more exp; switch to PoTD and upscaling after encountering Captain Furrante. Slugging it through Port Maje the 47th time gets tedious real quick.

I haven’t hit number 47 yet, but I enjoy the struggle from early on. It’s only when I get to level 20 I get bored because everything dies so quickly even on potd upscaled. That’s when I start over and try a new build. I’m trying to do a blood mage/ancient Druid build now. I like the variety.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 4:53 PM, Jitsuka said:

The story is revealed and it's like watching the same movie twice with minor variations.

I don't mind rewatching a decent movie couple times for company. I like to rewatch a great movie at least 2 or 3 times for myself - one viewing isn't enough to fully appreciate it. 

I enjoyed both PoEs more on a subsequent playthroughs - PoE1, because knowing where the story is going made all that was happening before it interesting, PoE2 because narratively it is an interesting mess that I like to dig into. I am tempted to go for my 4th run, now when I should be able to run the game somewhat decently, and try out some of the difficulty mods on offer. I am still have on of the megabosses to kill, though I have no clue if I will be willing to push through it.