Are Aggressive Bugs Too Plentiful? And Other Feedback From 0.9

*Edit* I apologize I intended for this post to go in the Feedback and Suggestions category. Perhaps a moderator can move it? - Thanks.

I came back to grounded after a few weeks away. I immediately noticed some great changes, however I feel that the dangerous insects are too plentiful now. It's getting hard to venture out anywhere without running into trouble, and while I understand that may be by design, it makes it more difficult to enjoy other important aspects, such as exploring, base building, resource gathering, etc.

My suggestions based on a few hours with update 0.9...

1) Decrease spider frequency (but increase their ability to pursue on elevated terrain and make them more territorial - This would A) solve the problem of a person just being able to range attack them to death, and B) make the spiders more realistic and exciting. For example, if a spider becomes aggro'd on you, it can reach most elevations that you would have considered safe, this means that getting a few ranged shots in would be beneficial, but you are still vulnerable. The impossibility of climbing out of reach could be balanced by making the spiders pursue less over distance and stay within their territory, allowing the player to glide away to more safety. To fully dispatch the spider, it would require either several attempts at such a strategy, or eventually requiring close combat.)
2) Aggravated Mosquitos pursue way too far a distance - they chase you halfway across the map it feels like... seems a little imbalanced. 
3) Digging for grubs but finding larva was a great idea, but is imbalanced. I found 6 larva versus 2 grubs in a recent session. It should be the other way around IMHO. 
4) Speeding up Aphids was a great way to increase the importance of ranged attacks, however I feel like Weevils are too few in number and are always being pursued by ants, which makes it necessary to run halfway across the map trying to kill one (which often results in encountering dangerous insects when you weren't in the mood for that kind of experience). 
5) The water/hunger rebalance is better, but water is lost a little too quickly, and hunger not quite fast enough. 
6) Photo mode is awesome, but even with the camera speed controls we have, the camera moves waaaay too slow. 

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks again for putting so much effort into a great game! 

Edited by SnickerSnack
  • Like 2

• SnickerSnack changed the title to Are Aggressive Bugs Too Plentiful? And Other Feedback From 0.9

I don't think there's too many aggressive bugs - but I don't think there's enough interaction between bugs. It's VERY rare you have spiders going for other bugs, and only weevils and aphids tend to get aggression responses. I'd love to see Orb Weavers and Wolf Spiders go at it, like in real life they would. Ants swarming an aggressive spider or bombardier etc 

20 hours ago, Crichton5 said:

I don't think there's too many aggressive bugs - but I don't think there's enough interaction between bugs. It's VERY rare you have spiders going for other bugs, and only weevils and aphids tend to get aggression responses. I'd love to see Orb Weavers and Wolf Spiders go at it, like in real life they would. Ants swarming an aggressive spider or bombardier etc 

Yep my base is on the wooden wall so I see Orb Weavers all the time.  They often step over weevils and ants and I've only ever seen them once kill a mite.  They won't fight Bombardier beetles at all.  Only the stink bug elicits an aggressive response every time.  Traversing the garden should be like traversing a war zone.  

• Like 1

^^^ I wonder if making things like that would be too hard to balance and control proper spawn rates... I dunno. So evidently these bugs are simply programmed to be hostile to certain other insects and not others. I hadn't realized that before, but it makes sense.

• Like 1

I understand it wouldn't be easy to have the bugs fight ALL the time, and yeh in real life spiders don't always attack things unless they're hungry. 

But like, stuff in their webs, other big hugs in their territory, I'd like to see some fighting. 

For example the other day there was a stinkbug IN a Wolf Spider Den WITH the wolf spider. They didn't fight until I shot the stinkbug and it skooshed out a cloud of gas!

Edited by Crichton5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

for the water and food "rebalance" it's the other way around, for me i can go a little while before completely running out of hunger, but with the water i could half the day without drinking. So from my experience i think the food runs out too quickly, but the water runs out kinda slow but im happy with that... (btw i have no mutations that decrease the the time it takes to run out of food/water.......)