Psion with Community Patch: Single Class or Multiclass?

I am almost done with my Psion/Troubadour playthrough and it's a fun multiclass. The bread and butter for me early on was spamming the Killers Froze Stiff and then hitting enemies with Soul Shock. A lot of enemies are vulnerable to lightning damage it feels like so the combo of crowd control + damage felt very nice early on. Later I also took the Ogre Summon and some charm spells and got good mileage out of those as well.

Recently now that I am higher level I still spam the paralyze invocation a lot but now after doing so my go-to tends to be to either cast Ancestor's Memory on my casters (to let them spam high PL things like Missile Salvo etc) or I buff myself with Borrowed Instinct and then spam Disintegration onto enemies.

Having party members that can apply the morningstar fort debuff or club modal will debuff can be very nice to help you land your offensive spells as well. A wizard who hits enemies with miasma and arkemyrs torment and such things can be really nice to help you with that as well.

As far as chants go I pretty much just spammed the skeleton summon chant once I got it because popping out a skeleton every 3 seconds is really strong. I did also pick up the resistance chants and made a song that just casts those because sometimes that can be really clutch against enemies that like to hit you with debilitating afflictions. Having each resistance chant go off every 3 seconds means I can clear my party of hostile effects rapidly.

All in all it has been one of the stronger characters I've played. It's so versatile. The offense is actually quite strong once you get Pl6 Cipher spells because Disintegrate is one of the best offensive spells in the game. But even before that Paralyze invocation + Soul Shock will get you through a lot of the earlier content, and you can use charms and summons and things too.

This character could truly do it all too depending on how you want to build it. Heal? Take Ancestor's Memory and the + heal effectiveness chant. Take the Cipher spells that heal. Summon? You got all kinds of summon invocations to choose from. I like the Ogres because they hit hard and have lots of health. Charm? Both Chanters and Ciphers can do that. Dps? Disintegrate, Soulshock, Soul Ignition, etc. Crowd control? Paralyze, charm, etc.

I dunno. It's fun :) 

• Like 2

some more things to try:
if you have a heavily armored/hard to hit enemy with multiple engagements, wurms summons + pain link are great: 25% of disengagement damage back to enemy if you invest the time to move the summons back & forth (I mostly killed the fire dragon like this)
if you need to disengage yourself but the enemy is hard to hit/resistant to telekinetic burst, aim for a nearby summon instead, the AOE will push you out of danger
oh, and the well known chill fog sabre + skeletons chant is probably the most OP thing for chanter/cipher

Edited by abot

10 hours ago, abot said:

oh, and the well known chill fog sabre + skeletons chant is probably the most OP thing for chanter/cipher

Well, I'd usually agree and it certainly is a powerful combo. However a Psion subclass will not benefit from weapon Focus generation...

Yes, but the freeze-paralyze which circumvents resistances does proc with the Chillfog-crits - and that's what matters most. Focus is coming anyway for a Psion - Soul Mind is not a reason not to use one of the most powerful effects in the game. Would be even better if you gained focus from it, but still extremely good imo.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

yes, also having blind/paralyze from the chillfog you can free a couple previously used spell/ability slots from cipher (e.g eyestrike. maybe mental binding too but that targets will so it is still of use) or chanter trees and choose different ones (I find a problem with this build is you have so many yummy spells/abilities you'd like to use but not enough slots for all of them)

Edited by abot