Has anyone figured out what messes with Chanter starting phrases?

Sometimes Chanter subclasses which have +1 phrase costs start with their true max phrases and sometimes they start with their max phrases ignoring the +1 from subclass.

Eg. from level 19 on my Skald multiclass had Called to His Bidding which costs 7 phrases for a Skald (6+1). Usually he would start combat with 7 phrases but there were some stretches when he would only start with 6. It seemed to correct itself so I didn't pay attention.

I thought I'd try out a SC Beckoner and it's very annoying to start combat unable to cast my best summon. Respecing and resting don't seem to do it. Anyone know what sets this right?

• Like 1

maybe the way beckoner and skald are treated for the phrase adjustments are handled differently?

I was about to post my understanding, but then I just realized that my experience between my skald and beckoner are different, much like you. i always was one phrase short of my best summon as beckoner, but with skald i have enough phrases to start off with my most expensive non-offensive invocation (for me it's the revive effect, which is mostly just a decoy to increase my max phrases to 5)

edit: i'm 90% sure that troubadour is like beckoner - always one phrase shy of max of my max in my recollection. maybe skald i just buggy compared to the otners?

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

I have experienced this too and can't give you an exact reason why.

If I had to guess it is related to how many phrases you end combat with/or even ending with an invocation.

If you have perma brilliant from SOT/SoF/WoD you will always start combat with max phrases.

• Thanks 1

I've definitely had fights as a beckoner where I simply started with max phrases. I believe it has something to do with your power level/character level but I can't prove it.

Also note that in shipboard fights characters are already chanting while the cutscene at the start plays, so you start with an extra phrase.

• Hmmm 1

On 4/13/2021 at 11:03 AM, thelee said:

i'm 90% sure that troubadour is like beckoner - always one phrase shy of max of my max in my recollection. maybe skald i just buggy compared to the otners?

This is my experience too. My troubadours typically start one phrase shy of max, while my skalds always seem to start with their max. I don't recall having a skald start at max-1, like troubadours.