The all things Political topic -In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

Amentep

17 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Nice article about Justice Thomas.

Since we were just discussing him

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/us/politics/clarence-thomas-supreme-court.html

This is the original article. Watch out for dnyuz. Those guys plagiarize articles left and right.

Edit: I took the liberty of editing your post.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

2 hours ago, Pidesco said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/us/politics/clarence-thomas-supreme-court.html

This is the original article. Watch out for dnyuz. Those guys plagiarize articles left and right.

Edit: I took the liberty of editing your post.

Thank you sir!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It’s a shame dueling has gone out of style.

once upon a time it was not unheard of amongst congressman. In fact the man on Gromnirs pic was part of one.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

6 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It’s a shame dueling has gone out of style.

once upon a time it was not unheard of amongst congressman. In fact the man on Gromnirs pic was part of one.

Not quite sure that's going to work well with semi-auto weaponry.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

It would have to be some kind of Battle Royale on an island in todays climate.

If you want to Congress critters to get along better they should start doing some group activities. Like paintball or fishing trips or stuff like that. You know, team builders. Personally I think all of their animosity in public posturing is just for show. It’s like professional wrestlers saying what they’re going to do to each other in the ring and then they go have a beer after they rehearse

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Guard Dog said:

If you want to Congress critters to get along better they should start doing some group activities. Like paintball or fishing trips or stuff like that. You know, team builders. Personally I think all of their animosity in public posturing is just for show. It’s like professional wrestlers saying what they’re going to do to each other in the ring and then they go have a beer after they rehearse

Yeah that was definitely true in the pre-Trump era but things seem a leeeetle bit different now.  At least to a degree.

I remember actually watching the Bush-Kerry debate and they seemed all buddy buddy like "whoever wins, we're both financially covered by the same peeps, keep on keepin' on bro!"

Judge orders release of DOJ memo justifying not prosecuting Trump

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.207679/gov.uscourts.dcd.207679.27.0_1.pdf

"And of even greater importance to this decision, the affidavits are so inconsistent with
evidence in the record, they are not worthy of credence. The review of the unredacted document
in camera reveals that the suspicions voiced by the judge in EPIC and the plaintiff here were
well-founded, and that not only was the Attorney General being disingenuous then, but DOJ has
been disingenuous to this Court with respect to the existence of a decision-making process that
should be shielded by the deliberative process privilege. The agency’s redactions and incomplete
explanations obfuscate the true purpose of the memorandum, and the excised portions belie the
notion that it fell to the Attorney General to make a prosecution decision or that any such decision
was on the table at any time."

ouchie. 

am genuine curious what will be the doj response. appeal any such order for production o' documents central to attorney general review would ordinarily be reflexive. then again, we have multiple federal judges who has stated barr were "misleading" and/or "disingenuous" regarding the memo describing the mueller report findings and is tough to imagine the doj going far in defending the former attorney general's actions.

'course none o' this makes any difference 'cause our deeply polarized electorate had already formed their opinions before barr summarized mueller report findings. is now a couple years removed and any impact the truth might have had initial is even further diminished by the presumed gaslighting which will take place post release.  

while am curious 'bout the contents o' the memo, am more interested in seeing how the doj handles this. multiple judges (three at this point) has called barr a liar, including a bush 43 appointee, so is doubtful anybody will be shocked when memo reveals barr were less than honest 'bout whether the doj believed trump engaged in activities which woulda' exposed a non sitting President to obstruction of justice charges. only mystery left is what doj decides to do going forward, and am admitted uncertain as to that conclusion.

edit:

on the lighter side, and am s'posing related to @Guard Dog and his dueling observations...

the twitter  battle has a few more slap-fight moments including mtg calling gallego, a former marine, a "coward."

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Catch them as they fall. Let's start at 50 meters.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

6 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Well, they hilariously injected themselves into the 1994–95 Major League Baseball strike. :lol:

Gfted1 I know you mentioned you dont normally vote but how do you feel about your politicians and members of congress....do you share the same general distain and cynicism that other US forum members feel about them?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't want to put words in Skarpen's mouth, but I think he may be referring to the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity that's been going on since 1909. During a practice for the Republican team in 2017, Steve Scalise was shot.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 minute ago, Amentep said:

I don't want to put words in Skarpen's mouth, but I think he may be referring to the annual Congressional Baseball Game for Charity that's been going on since 1909. During a practice for the Republican team in 2017, Steve Scalise was shot.

Wow, I thought it was longer ago than that. That guy was trying to kill as many as he could. He did kill two Capital Police IIRC. 

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Gfted1 I know you mentioned you dont normally vote but how do you feel about your politicians and members of congress....do you share the same general distain and cynicism that other US forum members feel about them?

No, I dont have any distain for the people, I have distain for the process. While others feels its "working as intended", it pisses me off to no end that we cant find our ass with both hands. Almost nothing gets accomplished and what does takes years. And it seems more and more common for one side to try to "stick it to" the other side instead of working together towards goals. Ive also been around long enough to watch the pendulum of power swing back and forth so I dont really have a "side" (Dem or Rep). I just want the best possible human or AI to execute their duties.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Amentep said:

That's the one. Thanks for details. 

• Thanks 1

166215__front.jpg

49 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

No, I dont have any distain for the people, I have distain for the process. While others feels its "working as intended", it pisses me off to no end that we cant find our ass with both hands. Almost nothing gets accomplished and what does takes years. And it seems more and more common for one side to try to "stick it to" the other side instead of working together towards goals. Ive also been around long enough to watch the pendulum of power swing back and forth so I dont really have a "side" (Dem or Rep). I just want the best possible human or AI to execute their duties.

Better to do nothing than to make things worse

Thomas Sowell

12 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Better to do nothing than to make things worse

I am not convinced by this argument ...it does make some sense but it seems very sardonic and  defeatist when it comes to our various Democracies and how we can make things better on the political side especially around delivery of promised policies and what is expected and demanded by citizens  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I am not convinced by this argument ...it does make some sense but it seems very sardonic and  defeatist when it comes to our various Democracies and how we can make things better on the political side especially around delivery of promised policies and what is expected and demanded by citizens  

Clearly I am not a devotee of Hobbesian political thought.

but like I told Gorth I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything anymore.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Unfortunately democracies can't change jack ****.  It takes a war or some big event to shape the political landscape in any meaningful way.  Look at 1783-1865, nothing really changed (except continued expansionism and genocide amongst the natives), and then look at 1865-1945, same deal, and so on and so forth, general policies remained remained the same until the guns came out.

Chauvin files appeal

It seems to me the activities of this one Jour before he got on the jury is more likely to submarine this verdict than the comments of waters and Biden. Just how it looks from my perspective.

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, ComradeYellow said:

Unfortunately democracies can't change jack ****.  It takes a war or some big event to shape the political landscape in any meaningful way.  Look at 1783-1865, nothing really changed (except continued expansionism and genocide amongst the natives), and then look at 1865-1945, same deal, and so on and so forth, general policies remained remained the same until the guns came out.

Ummm no. Sorry you were way off the mark on this one. Political change might be slow to come but it doesn’t take a calamitous event to get things trending in one direction or another. The calamitous event might make a for a dramatic change in a short time. But not only calamitous events result in change.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Says the completely out of touch woodsman! ;)

😆 I may be out of touch with the modern era but my knowledge of history is, if I do say so myself, pretty thorough

Thomas Sowell