The all things Political topic -In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

Amentep

On to more interesting subject matter. this is a clear-cut case of the headline suggesting the story was going to be about something completely different

Feds serve search warrant in Alaska for Nancy Pelosi’s laptop.

is it just me or does that headline give the impression that Pelosi was the target of an investigation of some sort? I don’t think very highly of her either but I have to admit I was rather surprised at the notion. Of course if you read it it turns out it has absolutely nothing to do with her other than that the laptop belonged to her. 

• Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

20 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

On to more interesting subject matter. this is a clear-cut case of the headline suggesting the story was going to be about something completely different

is it just me or does that headline give the impression that Pelosi was the target of an investigation of some sort? I don’t think very highly of her either but I have to admit I was rather surprised at the notion. Of course if you read it it turns out it has absolutely nothing to do with her other than that the laptop belonged to her. 

our first thought were recalling the stolen laptop from january 6, so for us it weren't misleading, but am seeing how it could easily be read so.

the judge, for anybody who bothers to read the twitter thread and ted cruz's op-ed at wsj, is a former bush appointee. @Guard Dog would, we surmise, approve o' most judge luttig opinions and positions seeing as how he is (was? now retired) arguable libertarian and his opinions were common in opposition to the so-called conservative position (pro-cop) in his defense o' 4th amendment protections. twice the judge were on the short list o' scotus candidates.

so, not a lib.

however, the judge is paid by coca-cola in a special advisor role, so is not as if luttig felt a need to correct cruz outta some kinda sense o' justice. nevertheless, will be intriguing to see if/how cruz responds.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 4/28/2021 at 1:42 AM, Skarpen said:

Guys, those are backups that can sustain essential systems in case of emergency. In no way those are reliable ways to keep up the energy on a scale that a country needs on regular basis as a part of power grid. Those are neither reliable nor they can store large amounts of energy as rjshae claims. 

Strawman argument. You claimed there was no method of storing energy. Now you switched to "large amounts" of energy. I made no such claim. Stop lying.

The largest BESS in the world right now has a capacity of 300 MW/1,200 MWh, with an expansion target of 1,500MW / 6,000MWh.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Perhaps you are associating it with the Hunter Biden laptop? I do remember she reported a stolen laptop with some PowerPoint slides. Anyway, the woman in the report seems like she's just BS-ing.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Any attempt to suggest someone of the political decorum and moral compass of Nancy Pelosi  is involved in something illegal or truly unethical we should automatically reject and consider fake news 

I dont always agree with her but I would never question her patriotism  and commitment to make the USA  a better and more equal society

Not all politicians are disingenuous, self-centered  and  untrustworthy. Some really do believe in making their country a better place :thumbsup:

But yeah the headline is misleading 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, rjshae said:

Strawman argument. You claimed there was no method of storing energy. Now you switched to "large amounts" of energy. I made no such claim. Stop lying.

The largest BESS in the world right now has a capacity of 300 MW/1,200 MWh, with an expansion target of 1,500MW / 6,000MWh.

?! And where did I claim such a thing? I corrected you when you claimed that there is a method of directly storing AC, there isn't. When you claimed storing is practical, it isn't as you have loose energy to convert it to storable form and then again lose to convert it again. And large amounts is your claim! Not mine, I was answering to your claim:

"There are many practical ways of storing large amounts of energy

Sounds familiar? Which is also incorrect. Or let's say depends on your definition of large. You seem to think 6000MWh is large amount, I know it can sustain for example LA for a better half of an hour i. e. laughable amount. 

Did you read up about the difference between DC and AC. Or do you still think what's in flashlight battery is the same thing that comes out of an electrical outlet? 

image.png.5511249917ae1bbbaa4173c97834d583.png

166215__front.jpg

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Not all politicians are disingenuous, self-centered  and  untrustworthy. Some really do believe in making their country a better place :thumbsup:

You do realize we’re talking about Nancy Pelosi here right? Not sure that description matches her at all. While I would be very surprised to hear she was involved in something illegal she has definitely dabbled in the unethical in her time in Congress. She has abused her position and made the taxpayers cover her travel cost home. She also loves having “conferences “ in posh locations on the taxpayer dime. She has also been less than truthful about this and other instances like the hair salon incident last year. None of it is illegal however. But it IS selfish.

• Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

@BruceVC@Gorth

I stumbled across a very pretty picture today about Swedish power production, consumption, import and export. It's not very granular but it's pretty good, it doesn't show regional imports and exports though 😕

dps268o3rew61.png

Vattenkraft = Hydro power

Kärnkraft = Nuclear power

Vindkraft = Wind power

Biomassa = Biomass

Fossil = Burning babies

Solkraft = Solar power

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Y'all really need to step your baby burning game up.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It's definetly on the weak side, sadly, the political will isn't there anymore =/

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So apparently Xi Jinping's father was one of the the early Communists who was purged by Mao during during the Cultural Revolution.

Xi himself was exiled, lived in a cave, and slaved away in forced labor for 7 years.

This man, who has every reason to hate Communists, is now supreme leader of the CCP.

Guys I figured it out, Xi's embrace of fascism is derived from his childhood, and he has cleverly and connivingly worked his way all the way up to the top.

More speculation on Breyer’s retirement

The way that man is being treated, and for that matter the way they talked about Ruth Bader Ginsberg, is pretty terrible. I strongly suspect a big number of leftists are wishing him dead if he does not want to retire. 

Biden has promised to nominate the first black female jurist as soon as an opening comes up. I really, really wish George W. Bush had nominated Janice Rogers Brown instead of Alito. I would’ve rammed her down all their throat‘s and damned them all as racist and sexist if they dared to oppose her. Such a lost opportunity. Alito is... not my favorite Justice. That would be Thomas. But not the worst on the court but not the best either.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Just now, ShadySands said:

Hmm, Thomas is my least favorite. I don't have a favorite though.

Why? Just curious. He’s my favorite because he has been the most consistent advocate of the basic guaranteed rights. Individual liberty has no better friend on this court. In fact I’m pretty sure he’s the best champion of the separation of state and federal power the court has had in decades. Half of the judges act like they’ve never even read the 10th amendment. If you ever get a chance and have time his book “my grandfathers son“ is well worth reading. His life story is inspirational.

Thomas Sowell

By the way I’m surprised nobody has commented on all the terrible racist comments that are being directed at Senator Tim Scott after his rebuttal of the president speech the other night. He has been called “uncle Tim“ and “Oreo“. The people who are calling him this are Democrats. No, not voters actual Democrat party members and elected politicians. Once again showing the number one rule of the left. Dissenting opinions will not be tolerated. But they don’t argue the merits of the opinion. They shout down, insult, belittle, and denigrate the speaker. This is the kind of **** that Trump used to do. For the Democrats have been doing it forever.

Thomas Sowell

33 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Why? Just curious. He’s my favorite because he has been the most consistent advocate of the basic guaranteed rights. Individual liberty has no better friend on this court. In fact I’m pretty sure he’s the best champion of the separation of state and federal power the court has had in decades. Half of the judges act like they’ve never even read the 10th amendment. If you ever get a chance and have time his book “my grandfathers son“ is well worth reading. His life story is inspirational.

hmmm. 

am not a fan o' Thomas for reasons we has stated previous, but he were dogged consistent and he adhered to his ideology. better judge than Justice perhaps, but we had respect for his integrity even if we disagreed with him. 

however, recent decisions has us concerned. Thomas has been floating unsubstantiated voting conspiracy theory nonsense via dicta in recent cases and he has done similar with internet free speech. even if Thomas is a political creature, his opinions has always been free of such baggage. sure, his legal theory regarding the scope o' the civil war amendments is more narrow than any other Justice and as such Thomas has been adversarial to any number o' affirmative action and civil rights positions advanced by historical disenfranchised groups, which has contributed to lack o' popularity o' Thomas. and let's be honest, the anita hill thing raised enough red flags that Thomas likely should not have been added to the Court-- "anita hill," for many will be the first thing they think o' when they consider Thomas and his legacy, which is a bad starting point. even so, we has always had respect for Thomas as a judge and as a Justice. however, our respect is quick evaporating.

the inappropriate dicta is a bad look for Thomas. am having difficulty squaring with his espoused ideology.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am also knowing we has explained the 10th amendment don't mean what most believe it means. national bank created so soon after passing 10th amendment thorough undercuts many o' gadsen flag folks notions o' the 10th amendment. and am knowing we has invoked south dakota v. dole many times to explain fed involvement in education n' such.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Inherent leftist racism against conservative minorities. 

All jokes aside, I agree about his story being inspirational but since I disagree with him on almost everything he remains my least favorite. Maybe some of the other conservative judges can catch up in time. Bonus points to Kavanaugh who also had his Anita Hill moment but handled it way worse.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

as an aside, am thinking many o' the libertarians don't know Thomas the way they believe they know Thomas. a case almost nobody recalls illustrates our point.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/580/14-9496/#tab-opinion-3706128

facts of case as presented in majority opinion... longish, but worthy o' the read

Petitioner Elijah Manuel was held in jail for some seven weeks after a judge relied on allegedly fabricated evidence to find probable cause that he had committed a crime. The primary question in this case is whether Manuel may bring a claim based on the Fourth Amendment to contest the legality of his pretrial confinement. Our answer follows from settled precedent. The Fourth Amendment, this Court has recognized, establishes “the standards and procedures” governing pretrial detention. See, e.g., Gerstein v. Pugh, 420 U. S. 103, 111 (1975) . And those constitutional protections apply even after the start of “legal process” in a criminal case—here, that is, after the judge’s determination of probable cause. See Albright v. Oliver, 510 U. S. 266, 274 (1994) (plurality opinion); id., at 290 (Souter, J., concurring in judgment). Accordingly, we hold today that Manuel may challenge his pretrial detention on the ground that it violated the Fourth Amendment (while we leave all other issues, including one about that claim’s timeliness, to the court below).

I

Shortly after midnight on March 18, 2011, Manuel was riding through Joliet, Illinois, in the passenger seat of a Dodge Charger, with his brother at the wheel. A pair of Joliet police officers pulled the car over when the driver failed to signal a turn. See App. 90. According to the complaint in this case, one of the officers dragged Manuel from the car, called him a racial slur, and kicked and punched him as he lay on the ground. See id., at 31–32, 63.[1] The policeman then searched Manuel and found a vitamin bottle containing pills. See id., at 64. Suspecting that the pills were actually illegal drugs, the officers conducted a field test of the bottle’s contents. The test came back negative for any controlled substance, leaving the officers with no evidence that Manuel had committed a crime. See id., at 69. Still, the officers arrested Manuel and took him to the Joliet police station. See id., at 70.

There, an evidence technician tested the pills once again, and got the same (negative) result. See ibid. But the technician lied in his report, claiming that one of the pills was “found to be . . . positive for the probable presence of ecstasy.” Id., at 92. Similarly, one of the arresting officers wrote in his report that “[f ]rom [ his] training and experience, [ he] knew the pills to be ecstasy.” Id., at 91. On the basis of those statements, another officer swore out a criminal complaint against Manuel, charging him with unlawful possession of a controlled substance. See id., at 52–53.

Manuel was brought before a county court judge later that day for a determination of whether there was probable cause for the charge, as necessary for further detention. See Gerstein, 420 U. S., at 114 (requiring a judicial finding of probable cause following a warrantless arrest to impose any significant pretrial restraint on liberty); Ill. Comp. Stat., ch. 725, §5/109–1 (West 2010) (implementing that constitutional rule). The judge relied exclusively on the criminal complaint—which in turn relied exclusively on the police department’s fabrications—to support a finding of probable cause. Based on that determination, he sent Manuel to the county jail to await trial. In the somewhat obscure legal lingo of this case, Manuel’s subsequent detention was thus pursuant to “legal process”—because it followed from, and was authorized by, the judge’s probable-cause determination.[2]

While Manuel sat in jail, the Illinois police laboratory reexamined the seized pills, and on April 1, it issued a report concluding (just as the prior two tests had) that they contained no controlled substances. See App. 51. But for unknown reasons, the prosecution—and, critically for this case, Manuel’s detention—continued for more than another month. Only on May 4 did an Assistant State’s Attorney seek dismissal of the drug charge. See id., at 48, 101. The County Court immediately granted the request, and Manuel was released the next day. In all, he had spent 48 days in pretrial detention.

am doubting there is any question where @Guard Dog sympathies lie based on facts, yes? cops and techs lied 'bout evidence and petitioner spends almost two months incarcerated 'cause o' the multiple lies by law enforcement, and even once law enforcement knew they had no evidence, manuel were kept locked up for more than a month.

majority o' the Court says the fourth amendment protects folks such as manuel against the aforementioned bs even if is a pretrial matter.

Thomas and Alito disagreed with the majority. 'ccording to Thomas, manuel coulda' been held indefinite w/o triggering fourth amendment protections just so long as there were no trial court appearance made by the petitioner.

nobody remembers this case, but am betting it makes many who bothered to read this far shudder.

Thomas is not the friend many believe him to be.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/biden-moving-us-towards-asia-style-industrial-policy/

Although it was too late for the Soviet Union. America, it can be argued, has awakened from its ideological self-hypnosis just in the nick of time. Prominent features of President Biden’s economic renewal plan include:

• More than $600 billion to be spent on roads and bridges, electric vehicles and charging stations, railways and other transport infrastructure.
  • More than $1 trillion to be spent on a range of social infrastructure and service projects including the construction and renovation of low-cost housing, schools, hospitals and clinics; better health and personal care for the elderly and disabled; and high-speed broadband internet for all.
  • $300 billion to be spent on measures to support domestic manufacturing, including $50 billion for the semiconductor industry and $180 billion to be spent on R&D and worker training.

The total is approximately $2.15 trillion, or 10% of America’s GDP. That is 2.8 times the $760 billion output gap (the difference between actual and potential economic output) through January 2024 calculated by the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget using estimates from the Congressional Budget Office. It could take that long, if not longer, for Biden’s measures to take effect

@Gromniryes I remember that one. There were a few others where he was entirely too predisposed towards the police powers for my taste. There was another one that both he and Alito were chomping at the bit to take. Don’t remember off the top of my head but it was two years ago. Two members of a gun club were cited for transporting their firearms somewhere other than the gun club. This was in New York City I believe they were taking them out of town. It was a very unreasonable law and it was ripe to be struck down. Anyway the city saw the writing on the wall and changed the law down themselves before the case ever went to the Supreme Court. Which pretty much rendered the entire case before the court moot. Which is exactly what they said when they turned it away. But Alito and Thomas were chomping at the bit to take it even after it have been pretty much nullified. I was a little put off by that. A judge shouldn’t go looking for cases to rule on. I think I pointed this out to you about a year ago but it strikes me that some of the “constructionist “have become somewhat activist of late.

that said choosing which justice of nine you like is really is a relative comparison. I wouldn’t call any of them perfect. Although I am starting to like Goresuch more and more. He might be the one silver lining behind the cloud of the Trump administration.

Thomas Sowell

The republican party is lost.

As somebody who has participated in Libertarian party politics I have to say all of this looks very familiar. And I need not remind you guys about all of the LPs electoral successes. That is of course a very short conversation.

Thomas Sowell

Good.  They are the Confederate Party and should be lost, or at least marginalized to tertiary status.

I wouldn't mind them being denigrated to having like 25% at most power in congress, but we would need a 3rd party for that.  One that's socially leftist but fiscally a bit more conservative than that of Democrats.

6 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

12 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

Good.  They are the Confederate Party and should be lost, or at least marginalized to tertiary status.

I wouldn't mind them being denigrated to having like 25% at most power in congress, but we would need a 3rd party for that.  One that's socially leftist but fiscally a bit more conservative than that of Democrats.

LOL the Confederate Party. I suspect you know enough about history to know everything that’s wrong with that statement LOL Also leftist and fiscally responsible are sort of a contradiction in terms. Unless you think 100% tax rate is a square deal.

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

LOL the Confederate Party. I suspect you know enough about history to know everything that’s wrong with that statement LOL Also leftist and fiscally responsible are sort of a contradiction in terms. Unless you think 100% tax rate is a square deal.

Visible government, invisible business community.  'Tis a good leftist philosophy in century 21 dontcha think? 

And yes, modern Republicans are basically the Confederate Party, as their base are a good chunk white and racist.  I'm assuming you've seen the flags at the capitol storm?

Hmmm guess I was wrong 

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell