The all things Political topic -In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

Amentep

ps

am gonna admit many in the media did not help with their coverage o' trump lies and misstatements of fact. admission: am not certain what were the right way to cover trump lies. every new lie revealed created a numbing effect. for past Presidents, lies were frontpage fodder. journalists had a duty to report trump lies, 'cause such had always been news and when media covered for Presidents in the past, media were soundly and appropriate criticized for doing so. but from day 2 o' the trump Presidency, lies were constant, and followed a combative double-down progression which somehow made each subsequent lie less meaningful.

many in the media took a glee-filled approach to describing the newest lie dujour for trump. would be hypocritical to blame lefty opinion personalities for doing same as the right leaners, but am not denying the fact many media personalities provided support to the conservative narrative o' idiotic tds bs.  tds were the rejoinder every time trump said something legit deranged, and then trump would improbable double-down.

am still not certain how the media shoulda' covered trump lies. cold and dispassionate were never gonna happen in 2016. fox news were kicking the competition's collective arse by being in sync with rush limbaugh while still being able to claim they were providing news and facts. rags like breitbart were gaining in popularity, and even fringe blogs original appealing to business folks were going full hardcore conspiracy with no attempt to disguise their pro-putin/pro-tehran agendas. with facebook magnifying the problem o' people getting news stories they wanted to hear rather than exposed to balanced reporting, we spiraled back into the bad old days o' yellow journalism but with the news coming 1000x faster and responsive.

education is the obvious solution, but education is difficult and takes a long time to show results.

am willing to admit the mainstream media handled trump lies and ignorance poorly. am also willing to admit we can't think o' effective and practical ways to have responded to a Faith driven Presidency.

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Thats an interesting read and most of the athletes support it. Personally I dont mind  if people " bend the knee ", I just know if I was SA athlete I wouldnt do it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Thats an interesting read and most of the athletes support it. Personally I dont mind  if people " bend the knee ", I just know if I was SA athlete I wouldnt do it 

skarp_one is looking for your (not yours apparently) outrage. keep in mind he has a little tantrum every time some white supremacist has their free speech right "suppressed," so there is kinda obvious hypocrisy here. don't feed seymour. is theatre and will never be an end.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, some will see it worth the punishment. 

6 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

olympic-black-power-statue.jpg

If I recall the second placed guy also got crap when he returned to Australia.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

16 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

It"s great that the olimpics will be a sporting event. 

166215__front.jpg

3 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

It"s great that the olimpics will be a sporting event. 

I suppose there is a first time for everything. But I'm pretty sure it will not just be a sporting event, as it has always been much more than that.

• Like 1

I would say since the olympics in Berlin before WWII, it had been about anything but sport. Owens sort of showed the shortcomings of the ideology of the “superior race” and it had been a mix of commercial interests and political grandstanding since that particular Olympics (if not before, I’m not familiar with the history of the modern event before the 1930’s)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That's mostly host countries trying to make themselves look good though, rather than politics directly in the sporting events. So you'd have Cathy Freeman lighting the Sydney flame showing that Aborigines are all good now when they really aren't, or Beijing having a nice parade of its cultural diversity most of which was being actively suppressed even then. A Tommy Smith style political protest at an actual Olympic sporting event was so memorable because it's been so rare.

Massive politics around the city selection and ancillary stuff like boycotts though, of course, as well as political leaders using an Olympic junket to meet up; and commercial interests being paramount go without saying- that is almost certainly the real reason for a ban on any 'politics'. And of course IOC Presidents and delegates have not always been of unimpeachable character; indeed it might be more accurate to say that they haven't always been of impeachable character given their level of endemic corruption.

• Thanks 1

Florida Family Indicted for Selling Toxic Bleach as Fake “Miracle” Cure for Covid-19 and Other Serious Diseases, and for Violating Court Orders

Friday, April 23, 2021

According to the indictment, the Grenons, all of Bradenton, Florida, manufactured, promoted, and sold a product they named Miracle Mineral Solution (“MMS”).  MMS is a chemical solution containing sodium chlorite and water which, when ingested orally, became chlorine dioxide, a powerful bleach typically used for industrial water treatment or bleaching textiles, pulp, and paper. The Grenons claimed that ingesting MMS could treat, prevent, and cure COVID-19, according to the charges.  The FDA, however, had not approved MMS for treatment of COVID-19, or for any other use.  Rather, in prior official warning statements, the FDA had strongly urged consumers not to purchase or use MMS for any reason, explaining that drinking MMS was the same as drinking bleach and could cause dangerous side effects, including severe vomiting, diarrhea, and life-threatening low blood pressure. See https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/danger-dont-drink-miracle-mineral-solution-or-similar-products.  In fact, FDA received reports of people requiring hospitalizations, developing life-threatening conditions, and even dying after drinking MMS.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we were brief employed at the usao in pierre, sd. may come as a shock, were not exact night at the improv levels o' comedy. is stretching credulity to believe the presser we link were coincidental on the one-year anniversary o' trump's disinfectant and sunshine epiphanies. for the southern district of florida office to do this is more than a little surprising. 

Edited by Gromnir

At least all the Olympians had to take following politic free oath in order to participating in the games 

Olympic Oath:

In the name of the athletes.
In the name of all judges.
In the name of all the coaches and officials.
The athletes' representative then completes the oath:

We promise to take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules and in the spirit of fair play. We all commit ourselves to sport without doping and cheating. We do this, for the glory of sport, for the honour of our teams and in respect for the Fundamental Principles of Olympism.

Fundamental Principles of Olympism
1. Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the
qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism
seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good
example, social responsibility and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.
2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development
of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the
preservation of human dignity.
3. The Olympic Movement is the concerted, organised, universal and permanent action,
carried out under the supreme authority of the IOC, of all individuals and entities who
are inspired by the values of Olympism. It covers the five continents. It reaches its
peak with the bringing together of the world’s athletes at the great sports festival, the
Olympic Games. Its symbol is five interlaced rings.
4. The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of
practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which
requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.
5. Recognising that sport occurs within the framework of society, sports organisations
within the Olympic Movement shall apply political neutrality. They have the rights and
obligations of autonomy, which include freely establishing and controlling the rules of
sport, determining the structure and governance of their organisations, enjoying the
right of elections free from any outside influence and the responsibility for ensuring that
principles of good governance be applied.
6. The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this Olympic Charter shall be
secured without discrimination of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, sexual orientation,
language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or
other status.
7. Belonging to the Olympic Movement requires compliance with the Olympic Charter
and recognition by the IOC.

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Document Library/OlympicOrg/General/EN-Olympic-Charter.pdf

• Like 2

The 5 continents thing always cracks me up. Massive discrimination against penguins.

But yeah, that's non political given that sport is 'meant' to be a pure contest between individuals that excludes anything other than their individual (team) prowess and that's what they're enshrining. Doesn't and didn't always work out that way though, of course.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Well, some will see it worth the punishment. 

If I recall the second placed guy also got crap when he returned to Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/every-man-is-born-equal-peter-norman-s-amazing-legacy-lives-on-20200619-p554ct.html

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/finally-the-real-story-about-peter-norman-and-the-black-power-salute-20181018-p50abm.html

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I wish sports and politics could be separated. But you know the old saying about putting toothpaste back in the tube.

I could also say the same thing about politics and religion and politics and science. And Thanksgiving dinners too. 

funny story though. Somebody once said to me they love dogs because they were not political. I said bull crap. If you have more than three dogs and you have that pack dynamic going on in your house you better believe there are pack politics.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, as they say, Joe Louis received better treatment from Adolf Hitler after he won gold with the boxing then when he returned home to the US.

How times change...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

6 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I wish sports and politics could be separated. But you know the old saying about putting toothpaste back in the tube.

the implication is there were a time when the toothpaste were in the tube. am staining to identify such a time.

HA! Good Fun!

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

the implication is there were a time when the toothpaste were in the tube. am staining to identify such a time.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir I know you are retired but if you were doing some legal consultancy or involved in NGO\NPO  work and you were asked to " bend the knee " in a meeting by clients or customers  would you?

And if not what would your reason be ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Elerond said:

At least all the Olympians had to take following politic free oath in order to participating in the games 

Olympic Oath:

In the name of the athletes.
In the name of all judges.
In the name of all the coaches and officials.
The athletes' representative then completes the oath:

We promise to take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules and in the spirit of fair play. We all commit ourselves to sport without doping and cheating. We do this, for the glory of sport, for the honour of our teams and in respect for the Fundamental Principles of Olympism.

Fundamental Principles of Olympism
1. Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the
qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism
seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good
example, social responsibility and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.
2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development
of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the
preservation of human dignity.
3. The Olympic Movement is the concerted, organised, universal and permanent action,
carried out under the supreme authority of the IOC, of all individuals and entities who
are inspired by the values of Olympism. It covers the five continents. It reaches its
peak with the bringing together of the world’s athletes at the great sports festival, the
Olympic Games. Its symbol is five interlaced rings.
4. The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of
practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which
requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.
5. Recognising that sport occurs within the framework of society, sports organisations
within the Olympic Movement shall apply political neutrality. They have the rights and
obligations of autonomy, which include freely establishing and controlling the rules of
sport, determining the structure and governance of their organisations, enjoying the
right of elections free from any outside influence and the responsibility for ensuring that
principles of good governance be applied.
6. The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this Olympic Charter shall be
secured without discrimination of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, sexual orientation,
language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or
other status.
7. Belonging to the Olympic Movement requires compliance with the Olympic Charter
and recognition by the IOC.

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Document Library/OlympicOrg/General/EN-Olympic-Charter.pdf

So Elerond what is your view on " bending the knee " at the Olympics.....should it be allowed based on the official Olympic charter?

John Milton 

as a matter o' principle, am against kneeling save as part o' a religious observance. no earthly king or nation would get a bent knee from Gromnir. am not exact ancient greek or republican roman serious, but close. have also observed, much like rbg btw, that the kaepernick inspired protests (keep in mind he originally sat, and sat unnoticed by most) during national anthem observances were misguided-- the federal government cannot fix the problems the movement were trying to raise awareness regarding. 

however, we have been part o' organized sports teams and if we couldn't work out a compromise our teammates were comfortable with, we might bend knee as a show o' support for our teammates as 'posed to support for anything else. would make sure that distinction were made very clear.

at this point those folks who want Gromnir services, and is likely getting gratis or near that, would be unlikely to care 'bout such stuff. am the eccentric guy who retired at fifty after all.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

however, we have been part o' organized sports teams and if we couldn't work out a compromise our teammates were comfortable with, we might bend knee as a show o' support for our teammates as 'posed to support for anything else. would make sure that distinction were made very clear.

at this point those folks who want Gromnir services, and is likely getting gratis or near that, would be unlikely to care 'bout such stuff. am the eccentric guy who retired at fifty after all.

HA! Good Fun!

If I was American this is how I would see it, I would " bend the knee" as a sign of solidarity for teammates if it mattered to them that I joined them

But based on my lived experience I would only "bend the knee " if it was about a South African issue that I believed in or if I was trying to make a good impression with a lady ...then I dont mind doing things outside of my normal view on these things 💞

John Milton 

I'd never support such acts, as they are inheritly flawed and demand other cultures and nations to follow suit of subset of a US culture.... 

That's disrespectful to say the least. But non-US bound people know that US is very ignorant and general populace more out of touch with basic realities of the world than most of the other countries

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

So Elerond what is your view on " bending the knee " at the Olympics.....should it be allowed based on the official Olympic charter?

As long as Olympians are allowed publicly wear religious symbols and pray, I don't see how bending the knee, rising the fist or wearing black ribbon to show your world view is any different, but it isn't support for human rights movements which IOC has banned political symbolism with exception of some religious symbolism in the games even when that symbolism supports ideologies in Olympic Charter. 

Of course IOC could have just banned political gestures that support movement that go against Olympic Charter, but that would be bad for the business. It is easier to sell 'ban of all politics in the games' than Olympic values of equality, peace etc..

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

I'd never support such acts, as they are inheritly flawed and demand other cultures and nations to follow suit of subset of a US culture.... 

That's disrespectful to say the least. But non-US bound people know that US is very ignorant and general populace more out of touch with basic realities of the world than most of the other countries

I dont consider the US to be very ignorant but I agree with you that it is unintentionally offensive to think other cultures and countries should automatically " bend the knee " because of SJ issues in the USA unless they exactly the same issue like rejection of discrimination against LGBT which is a global issue 

John Milton 

So Caitlyn Jenner is running for the governor of California. Matthew McConaughey might run for the governor of Texas. And people seem to think the rock is going to run for president. There was a lesson, a rather harsh one, talk to us between 2016 and 2020. And that’s not to make dip**** celebrities into politicians. Let’s see if that lesson was learned.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell