A Fifth of Coronavirus

Amentep

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Got my second shot today and so far, so good. No headache or fatigue. If I die, Ill see you all on the flipside. If I dont, I guess Ill be back later. :lol:

Was okay for the first day - woke up like I had gotten run over the next day, though. Seems like most people I know that got their Pfizer/Moderna second shot have a similar story.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Should go buy some Pfizer stock.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

For anyone who doesn't think Bruce is spouting rubbish,

(1) the US still has an export ban*

(2) it has an export ban on vaccines it hasn't even approved, eg Astra Zeneca

(3) it has enough vaccines to vaccinate everyone eligible, already- the stockpile has only increased since January so has outstripped demand for 4 months even when demand was peak

*which at least they're waiving for expiring stocks of vaccine- and less credibly, to try and stop people using Russian or Chinese vaccines (ie the at cost Pfizer delivery to Brazil)

Which is eminently sensible in general, but it's also part of the reason why the US can support suspending patents, now. In contrast, the EU's home grown vaccines aren't online yet (except German BioNTech production, and labeling J&J as Janssen) so having their patents suspended would mean that they actively lose money on research etc.

For anyone terrified for the bottom lines of Pfizer et alia consider that the EU is looking to buy 1.9 billion doses from them. At the lowest charging rate that's ~20 billion in profit that Pfizer would not have had. At the rate they charged Israel it would be ~40 billion in profit. My heart bleeds for them at least as badly as it does for some anonymous indian peasant in Bihar hacking their lungs out.

Zora please use links when you respond in these types of debates. I mostly  appreciate your comments as I consider you well informed about certain topics and you have a wide range of interests including some real knowledge about Africa which is always appreciated but not expected 

But you have to realize I cannot just take your word, or anyones, on any forum about what is the truth unless I know its true myself. We all often agree with sentiment and lived experience when forum members we know share stories or posts. For example when Gromnir shares  information about Native American tribes and their history I dont research what he says in the interests of veracity because I believe its true because I know Gromnir and I consider him someone who  wont make a post on topic like this unless its true 

But I would still do my own research and corroboration  on what Gromnir was saying if it was about an investment or voting decision because that is the best way to make such a decision. 

In closing you put the effort in to make a post disagreeing with me but you have no links so those interested can confirm what you saying. I realize this takes more time but its literally 3-4 minutes, per link,  to find something that supports your view and it would be strange that anyone who has opinion that they believe is true wont be interested in spending a few minutes just posting a link

Lets not think this is about who is right or wrong, honestly I stopped generally caring about that 6-7 years ago. We want to educate each other in a constructive and normal way so use links in future so we can all do own research on these  pertinent topics :thumbsup:

Also please dont post links now on this particular topic on my behalf. I am not going to comment anymore on this topic, at this time, so I doubt I would read them  as  I am moving on but in future just use links to support your view 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dose 2 / Day 2: Ive been waiting all day for the other shoe to drop and...I feel fine. I even took my temperature just to see whats up and it was perfectly in range. Actually, my arm doesnt even hurt as much the first shot. Weird. I feel like Ive dodged a bullet. My wife got her second shot today so well see how she feels tomorrow. That makes the entire Gfted clan fully dosed up. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Sarex said:

They probably hit a nerve with the first shot and that's why it hurt.

They must have mentioned universal health care right as they were giving the shot.

• Haha 5

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well... Interesting news around B.1.617 (one of India variants). 

Under peer review now as it seems fully vaccinated people get infected with it and are ill. 

Not enough data around severity of those cases, but worrying enough, that we might see another global wave. 

• Sad 1

Quote for the Day: "Americans who believe in guns but don't believe in wearing masks. You have studied muzzle discipline for your weapons even if you know they aren't loaded, why can you not believe in good muzzle discipline with a mask on the off-chance you can pass the virus?"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Quote for the Day: "Americans who believe in guns but don't believe in wearing masks. You have studied muzzle discipline for your weapons even if you know they aren't loaded, why can you not believe in good muzzle discipline with a mask on the off-chance you can pass the virus?"

This assumes they have studied muzzle discipline.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Raithe said:

They believe in guns but don't want to get shot. Especially in the arm. By a needle. Now those are scary. 🙄

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

warning: sweary

Spoiler

is gauche to quote self, but from our first post in the very first covid thread on these boards:

"and Americans is just plain stoopid and obtuse at times. US is not china, so is hardly practical to be locking down whole cities and states if it is deemed necessary at some point. got more than a few folks who is gonna see any such government efforts as conspiracy laden fodder and the inevitable precursor to a full scale attack on their personal liberties-- next thing you know, they will be coming for your guns. "

the alt-right and no-compromise gun folks aren't afraid of needles or masks. they is afraid of the government, but only the wrong government. the same folks angry at being forced to wear masks is perfect ok with the government stepping in and limiting the first amendment rights of big tech, or the voting rights o' predominant minority communities in pennsylvania or arizona. oh, and don't forget the muslim ban.

the sweary guy in the twitter clip gots no problem wearing shoes and a shirt when he enters a soopermarket, but a mask, which contributes to saving the lives o' fellow human beings, is a bridge too far? middle-aged angry guy went on 'bout his Constitutional rights to be free of masks in soopermarkets, but you are gonna be a long time waiting if you expect him or any o' his gadsden flag brethren to identify where in the Constitution such a liberty is codified. hint: no such liberty exists.

and even if you believe masks (or vaccines which has been tested for safety, vaccines which after millions o' administered doses we still ain't seen any vaccine related deaths) only provide a small benefit in limiting the spread o' the pandemic, why on earth would you need be told that such actions is compulsory? (btw, practical nobody in the US has been pushing for vaccines to be government requisite compulsory) as such, refusal to wear a mask is kinda an a-hole litmus test more than anything else, no? 

am nevertheless understanding if pregnant women is reluctant to get vaccinated. there shouldn't be any side effects for the kids o' moms who is vaccinated, but in the past, vaccines has resulted in unforeseen and long term effects on children. should be extreme unlikely, but if a mom decides she is gonna be ultra safe and hold up in her proverbial bunker until after she delivers, then am having a hard time finding any justification for criticism.

is a few other folks with allergies and past horrible experiences with vaccines who regardless o' dr. advice may still choose to forgo getting vaccinated and am understanding such fears. 

however, if the reasons you is against wearing masks or getting vaccinated is some kinda liberty stance, then am disappointed. even so, this situation, from our pov, were complete predictable, and we got the receipts to prove just how predictable it were. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2nd shot o' moderna were administered to this individual on monday and we did everything wrong we coulda' possible done. we did not stay hydrated and we did not avoid strenuous activity.

on tuesday we were feeling less than 100%, but we had no fever. symptoms suffered: headache, chills, nausea (minor), muscle aches. 

as o' wednesday, am back to our status quo, such as it is.

am looking forward to finally getting a haircut. has been literal over a year since we were last shorn and our hair is current three inches beyond shoulder length.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am looking forward to finally getting a haircut. has been literal over a year since we were last shorn and our hair is current three inches beyond shoulder length.

When I was a lot younger I had naturally wavy hair with very long curls that was well over a foot beyond shoulder length (kind of like Jason Momoa, just with a scrawny, MUCH less buff frame :p). Then came military service, and it never grew back the way it was, and the curls are almost completely gone.

Such a waste. 

edit: Will be getting my first shot of Moderna next week.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 5

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

our first shot o' moderna resulted in zero side effects, but at the time we were sufficient hydrated and avoided stressful physical activity.  have no idea if the hydration and physical exertion made a difference for the second injection. correlation v causation. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Then came military service, and it never grew back the way it was, and the curls are almost completely gone.

This. :(

it's been a week since I got chipped with Janssen. Still the same number of arms and testicles but I don't want to say that number in case it's not what it's supposed to be.

• Haha 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

15 hours ago, majestic said:

When I was a lot younger I had naturally wavy hair with very long curls that was well over a foot beyond shoulder length (kind of like Jason Momoa, just with a scrawny, MUCH less buff frame :p). Then came military service, and it never grew back the way it was, and the curls are almost completely gone.

Such a waste. 

edit: Will be getting my first shot of Moderna next week.

Cannot let my hair grow long, turns into an afro. The annoying part is it touching my ears and also messes with the fit of my glasses.  Now I give myself a buzzcut at home - most of the time I don't turn out looking like Aryan Nation wannabe.   $120 for my Oster was a good investment, might keep doing that when things reopen - $25 saved each month that way.

Edited by Malcador
  • Hmmm 1

32 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

dr. fauci might need to have a sit down with korgano and masaka. the judge in rachel powell's case were more forgiving than she deserved, and admitted am not believing it is possible for the masaka avatar to spread a human virus, but is no reason to be a jerk 'bout mask wearing just 'cause you is a divinity... or any o' the many thousands o' middle-aged male republicans who drive large pickups, wear hats to cover their receding hairline, and have a star-spangled bandana perpetually tied around their neck as if to flaunt the fact they is only pretending to comply with mask mandates. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps is entire possible the yankee players is all extreme unlucky. +90% efficacy is not 100% after all. multiple vaccinated folks becoming infected in spite o' vaccination is gonna happen. nevertheless, one hopes this ain't an india variant (or some other variant) issue. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Lol, so does mine. Luckily I have friends in low places and havent had to slum it by going to the hair cut places since Covid.

Don't get me started on haircuts... I currently have what can best be described as a "fro" although mine is part grey :blush:

I did have an appointment with a hairdresser a while back, but then Brisbane got hit by a snap lockdown as it escaped the quarantine. Didn't really have time to try again until tomorrow. Need to get at least 10cm off!

As for vaccinations... the situation in Australia is a complete mess (courtesy of our notoriously incompetent federal PM). Even BBC is making jokes about it now...

I'm going to see my GP in a couple of weeks time to renew my prescription (for high blood pressure, otherwise I might just instantaneously explode in a shower of red goo), a good time I think to inquire about what the situation is regionally and when to expect/prepare for and what vaccine is/will be available. Would prefer Pfizer/Moderna over AZ/JJ anytime. Willing to wait a bit for it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I know one thing: since this pandemic started I've become real lazy about shaving. Damn government's going to make me start shaving regularly again.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

4 minutes ago, rjshae said:

I know one thing: since this pandemic started I've become real lazy about shaving. Damn government's going to make me start shaving regularly again.

This is a common reality and a potential long-term  problem IMO

The lockdown and pandemic has lead to most of us breaking our normal routines and how we use to live day to day. Each person has changed certain things and some of these  things are important to an overall healthy and sustainable lifestyle

That is why I created a rigid structure to my day during the lockdown, for example  the time I start working, how much take-aways I get and how much news I watch

It sounds silly but sometimes letting the small things slip can impact the bigger things like your overall mood and sense of purpose in these ostensibly depressing times the world is going through 8)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm jealous of all the COVID long hair stories. Thanks to receding hairline genetics that has my forehead hairline and my back of the neck hairline rushing to meet one another at the back of my head, all I looked like when I couldn't get a haircut was someone trying to get by with a particularly unconvincing comb-over. 😭

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man