What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Woke up last night from something new, a major cramp in my right teardrop muscle. Just like everyone else, I every now and then get a cramp in my calves, but those hurt a bit and go away after a bit of walking and some massage. Holy crap, that one lasted a while and caused immense pain. Still feels sore after almost a full day.

Hope you are feeling better, @majestic !

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Woke up last night from something new, a major cramp in my right teardrop muscle. Just like everyone else, I every now and then get a cramp in my calves, but those hurt a bit and go away after a bit of walking and some massage. Holy crap, that one lasted a while and caused immense pain. Still feels sore after almost a full day.

I remember about 5 years ago I started getting this pain in my right side of my chest under my arm   that seemed to be come and go and I assumed to be muscle related and was a  gym  injury from the rowing machine and ignored it 

Anyway after 3 days I  developed this strange rash and that led to blisters appearing and it was one of the most painful experiences in my life....I literally couldnt sleep properly for 2-3 days and the rash vanished but the pain remained intermittently for about 2 months and eventually went way

Do you know what is was? Shingles ( chicken pox ) that someone I had contracted despite getting my vaccine years ago 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/symptoms-causes/syc-20353054

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, majestic said:

Not to play an internet doctor, but if the calf is swollen go see a doctor it could be a blood clot.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

12 hours ago, Malcador said:

Thing is, there are NO procedures so the developers that did the right thing did it for their own reasons. Also makes sense why the good ones are all gone now :lol:

That is even more impressive, I am not a developer but I work with  developers sometimes at customers and vendors like Microsoft and Veritas

Changelogs are normally mandatory especially in listed companies in the financial sector because of governance and internal regulations

So the fact that the ladies are using CL but they dont have to is kudos to them. I have a question, why doesnt your company enforce CL as a process because how do you track issues when it comes to debugging or understanding historical issues ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Not to play an internet doctor, but if the calf is swollen go see a doctor it could be a blood clot.

Thanks for the concern, but my calves are okay. Sore muscle here is in my thigh, and it's not swollen, luckily. Probably caused by some wear from biking before going to bed. :)

10 hours ago, Fionavar said:

Hope you are feeling better, @majestic !

Thanks, it's already getting better.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

13 hours ago, Fionavar said:

I have had the enjoyable space to watch the thermometer rise to 36C then drop to 17C over 36 hours ... life on the Canadian Prairies is always in motion ... 

We've had almost 30C the past two days, and I'm low key dying

On another note, bought sunglasses today.

First sunglasses in my life, they're kinda nice actually, got a pair that doesn't hook behind the ears 👌

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

17 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

On another note, bought sunglasses today.

First sunglasses in my life, they're kinda nice actually, got a pair that doesn't hook behind the ears 👌

Why did you hate sunglasses? You swedes are really weird :teehee:

John Milton 

8 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

in the sac valley it were 43C yesterday. will be the same today.

never got particular cool at night which is the genuine killer. when it gets hot during the day but cools nice at night, the dry sac valley heat is almost bearable... until fire season. at least yesterday there were no oppressive and omnipresent layer o' ash and smoke from the wildfires. 'course given the historic drought the US west is suffering, the predicted wildfire season is anticipated to be epic terrible, which when one considers how awful it has been the last two or three years makes us quail at the thought o' what epic terrible will be.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Thanks for the concern, but my calves are okay. Sore muscle here is in my thigh, and it's not swollen, luckily. Probably caused by some wear from biking before going to bed. :)

Thanks, it's already getting better.

Happy to hear @majestic! Care for yourself well!

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Why did you hate sunglasses? You swedes are really weird :teehee:

I just never found a real need of them, I just squinted like Clint Eastwood instead.

Not at all because I didn't realize there were sunglasses that don't hook behind the ears. If I could find a pair that doesn't rest on the nose aswell and just hovers infront of my eyes, I'd buy that.

6 hours ago, Gromnir said:

in the sac valley it were 43C yesterday. will be the same today.

never got particular cool at night which is the genuine killer. when it gets hot during the day but cools nice at night, the dry sac valley heat is almost bearable... until fire season. at least yesterday there were no oppressive and omnipresent layer o' ash and smoke from the wildfires. 'course given the historic drought the US west is suffering, the predicted wildfire season is anticipated to be epic terrible, which when one considers how awful it has been the last two or three years makes us quail at the thought o' what epic terrible will be.

HA! Good Fun!

How do you even do stuff? 😂

I get bent out of shape when the temperature goes above 20C, at 30C I get fatigued from walking between the front door and my car... Now at 10pm the temperature is about 23C outside, and it's expected to hold there, so no real rest for me tonight.

I hope you do get some nice rains soon. But not too much, no need for floods!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Fresh watermelon for breakfast. It was on the vine 15 minutes ago. For lunch and dinner too likely. Only with dinner I’m putting a few chunks on the grill with a chicken breast and some fresh veggies.

Meanwhile today seems like a good day to watch Netflix 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Happy Juneteenth!

GD, I'm sure that you already know this but Juneteenth was more of a regional thing celebrating the end of slavery in the South in general and Texas in particular. The holiday was just built on something that was already being celebrated like a lot of other holidays have been before it.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I am thinking about buying a hydrogen car. The Toyota Mirai looks sweet and has a ton of promotions around it. I have fueling stations somewhat close to me, amd a bunch near my work, so it might be a good deal. It shouldn't explode like the Hindenberg.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Happy Juneteenth!

GD, I'm sure that you already know this but Juneteenth was more of a regional thing celebrating the end of slavery in the South in general and Texas in particular. The holiday was just built on something that was already being celebrated like a lot of other holidays have been before it.

Shady I hate to admit this but prior to hearing about it from you I was not even really aware of its existence. Or if I was I just didn’t remember. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's not that surprising because IIRC it started in Galveston, TX. My maternal grandmother is from there so I grew up with it being celebrated in my family but it wasn't a really well known thing just judging by almost everyone I've ever known. It wasn't until I was in the military that I started meeting people that knew about it already. It was then either because of where they were from or the internet.

• Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

37 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

It's not that surprising because IIRC it started in Galveston, TX. My maternal grandmother is from there so I grew up with it being celebrated in my family but it wasn't a really well known thing just judging by almost everyone I've ever known. It wasn't until I was in the military that I started meeting people that knew about it already. It was then either because of where they were from or the internet.

It is ironic that GD raised a valid point about this particular date and then you responded with some real lived experience around your connection to it 

I was watching Biden signing this into law and their were  several elderly and attentive  African Americans who had a real sense of happiness about why it was significant and a very old lady had this sincere and emotional quick chat to Biden about its importance. I couldn't hear what she was saying but it clearly  was something that mattered and had a  real historical significance 

And then a lady came on who had ancestors who have lived in TX and explained to CNN what it meant to them so its similar to your grandmothers. But she also said at the end that is should be remembered as the day all Americans can remember it as the day slavery ended ....obviously people from TX know the exact details 

Because I do think all public holidays should matter and having to remember how slavery use to be real but  only existed because it  contributed towards unnecessary economic growth in the South  matters because its something that was  diabolical and cruel and  it will be nice to have a barbeque and the day off and realize how much better things are ( if I was American that is how I would see it )

I can possibly see some people on the right dismissing it because they may think its about " blaming white people for all inequality in minority communities due to slavery " but that is not why  the day should be  remembered and this holiday has no insidious  intention 

For most Americans outside TX  it should be simple, you are just recognizing  that slavery was once part of the US and now it is over. Its a good news holiday that matters to people directly from TX but its about all Americans and shows how far the US has come 

John Milton 

Ok, I bought a Toyota Mirai. First new car I have ever owned and it is fancy. There was a ton of incentives to make it affordable, but I still walked out twice, so I think I got them down to a decent price. Actually the haggling is mostly over how much my trade-in is worth.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Ok, I bought a Toyota Mirai. First new car I have ever owned and it is fancy.

Feel like driving the future? :p

Spoiler

More of a joke, really, 未来 (mirai) is Japanese for future.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, *I* bought a Subaru Crosstrek 2.5L.  :p

newcar-01.jpg

newcar-02.jpg

...did look at others with similar sizing/shape but just like 23 years ago, Subaru is seemingly only co. making cars like I want. I'm no speed/sportster driver but I cannot go back to the 1.5L type cars or whatever, especially w/an Automatic. And I hate trunks.
...unlike 23 years ago, we just wrote a check.  🥳 
...I'm going to hate all the computer crap of modern cars but oh well times are what they are. At least this one still has a manual parking brake, ffs.
...most importantly, the sales dude was a tall geeky fellow who saw my Pillars of Eternity t-shirt and thus we were talking games, tech, and gpu shortages during waiting moments. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 6
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

LC, that's a fierce looking car. Pictures of mine will have to wait. They didn't have my color in stock (charcoal) so I have a loaner for the time being. 

The Mirai definitely feels futuristic. It has all the sensors and self parking stuff. Plus it has butt coolers, which was great on a hot day. I also hear I may need to fight people at the hydrogen stations to fill it up, so very Mad Max futuristic.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

Plus it has butt coolers

I could use one of those. I have a 3-day buyer's remorse policy to return the Crosstrek ($250 extra!) if I want, maybe I should....  :shifty:  Sadly I can barely stand all the microchip car stuff, I don't think I'm ready to consider a plugin/special fuel car even as a town-about. I looked that one up tho - it's a nice sporty looking thing, sweet.

That weird pale blue color isn't what I would've picked but up here all the car lots are almost empty. Like, only a few buyable ones, period. If you ordered something it probably won't arrive for a few months, we felt rushed because of that. >.>  We went to the lot, looked, left, came back 90 minutes later, test drove (only one they had left) ... and just as we sat down to buy, another rep wanted to know if our rep had the key for the thing because someone outside wanted to buy it. HAHA we got there first.

Also:
"Why do all the lights/headlights come on when I just want to unlock the door?"  "Why is there a screen message of "Drift Lane" (or something like that) when I'm on a straightaway and am not drifting?"  "Why is there a LED letter in the rear view mirror?" "I hate this backup camera/screen that flashes distractedly on automatically in reverse, can I turn that off"

*press keyfob to lock doors*  *reach out to door handle to make sure it's locked*
"Why is the side view mirror lighting up and the door is unlocked?"  (repeat a few times)
..."oh, maybe it's keyfob proximity."  ... I had to put the keyfob on the kitchen table and walk back out to check if it was actually locked.  Better really trust that keyfob to do its thing....

...I do like not needing a key to start the engine, but that means the keyfob has to be tossed somewhere vs. hanging off the ignition.
...also, can I whinge that having to wait something like 12+ seconds for the power seat to finish slllowwwllyy moving the seat forward to where I want it (hubby has long legs...) is really annoying vs. a manual lever where I can scoot it forward in about 1 second?

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

the color o' the crosstek reminds us o' a friend we had who, for reasons known only to her, painted the ceiling o' the great room in her home that exact shade o' blue. the room were enormous and had a significant vault... and were all exposed cedar planks. she painted an exposed cedar ceiling pale blue. and jesus wept.

am s'posing is an ok car color, if not our first choice. then again, our grandfather, in addition to the f-150, had a lime green station wagon with wood paneling and we thought it looked keen. am maybe not the best judge.

am wondering if am ever again gonna buy a new car. is plenty o' good reasons to buy a new car as 'posed to used but am now fully in our curmudgeon stage o' dotage, so dealing with the all the annoyance which accompanies new car sales is the kinda thing we do not need... and given our intermittent frugality (can't consider self genuine cheap insofar as car purchases if we got the two buicks for no good reason save "'because,") buy used just saves us so much money in most cases. also less o' the near inevitable buyer's remorse with used. less.

am embarrassed to admit our all-time best car, from a functionality pov, were the 97 chrysler t&c lxi minivan we got specific for the dogs. could take out as many seats as needed so were plenty o' room for the dogs to lie down comfortably and be sheltered from weather as 'posed to our pickups. with enormous side and back doors, load and unload dogs or even a refrigerator were a relative ez task. the thing were low, which helped with the load and unload efforts and when the border collies started getting older, they could still jump in and out with little effort for a couple more years after which we needed do the lifting. 

the minivan were also relative dependable. relative.

our sense o' vanity is kinda non existent. had more than a few acquaintances ask us how we could drive the fugly minivan w/o shame. were never a factor. dogs were satisfied and as long as the vehicle weren't in the shop, we were pleased.

other than daily commute, we got more use from the minivan than all our other vehicles combined. 'course daily commute were kinda a big exception, though the bmw x5 we drove last few years we were gainful employed were hardly much o' an upgrade from the minivan. 

the dogs loved the minivan and we didn't care that loose border collie fur somehow weaved itself into the fabric which lined the floor o' the vehicle, becoming inextricable and irrevocably part o' the car forever. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)