What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

man, screw fireworks

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Started a new FO4 game. New mods, new character concept, new play strategy. C’mon Dogmeat, let’s go boy.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is my fourth, and likely final, trip through fallout four. And I just noticed something I never noticed before. In the prewar scene in the beginning if you click on the special book in the babies room Nate or Nora will “wonder what Sean will grow up to be”. I busted out laughing when that happened. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Was on a Webex for 4 hours, but at least it was productive. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...the usual uninspired, unmotivated, lump on a log.

...but at least I'm a happy lump.  It's a nice day, sitting outside in a fabric sling chair, drinking my diet Dew, listening to the turkey-egrets.  Starting to think in another five years there will be several families of those things in the trees on our streets and the noise will be truly cacophonous . Probably the closest tall trees near the marsh/bay edges around here. Sad but true.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Huge game tonight in the last semi-final of the Euro 2020, England vs Denmark 

I can count on everyone supporting England because they the better team and then they can beat Italy in the final !!!

Go England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

@Gorth

You supporting England right, you admitted you not very patriotic to Denmark  and you recently lived in England and you now call an English colony home, yip you must be an English fan of tonight's game :p

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nothing like having two coworkers drag me on a call to "help" them with an issue.

giphy.gif

And guess who owns the issue now.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 7/6/2021 at 12:37 AM, Guard Dog said:

Started a new FO4 game. New mods, new character concept, new play strategy. C’mon Dogmeat, let’s go boy.

I nibble away at FO4 every week or two.  What's your mod list?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WDeranged said:

Im glad you didnt ask me that question, Im a serious Mod groupie for  most games but particularly Bethesda games 

I use Vortex the Nexus mod manager and for FO4 I had about 240 mods loaded, the maximum in Vortex is 255 apparently but  I was reading now about one guy using 926 mods in Skyrim SSE !!!

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8972413-vortex-maximum-mod-limit/

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, WDeranged said:

There are a few that are indispensable. Beantown Interiors and the ones at add interiors to many of the buildings are must have. True storms in the other ambient weather and lighting mods are also essential. I want my buildings dark, my subway is darker. Night time outside also. Light from light sources only. I like having to rely on the flashlight. I have a few that enhance difficulty, wasteland survival is a big one. Even at high level you’re not going to be able to take more than one to two bullets before going down. I have a few that slow down experience gain. I also like the ones that add constant to existing areas. Except for diamond city. I’ve tried a few of those but they seem to have conflicts with some of the weather mods. Plus you don’t spend enough time there to make it worth modding. I also have radio mods for WRVR, Cadillac jack, and galaxy news radio. Those are all really well done. I’ve got one that adds a new area to the map but I never did find it. I can’t remember where the entrance is and I did never looked it up. Maybe this time. Other than that I have a few of the immersion mods that enhance the atmosphere and add a little details to the game.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

54 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

There are a few that are indispensable. Beantown Interiors and the ones at add interiors to many of the buildings are must have. True storms in the other ambient weather and lighting mods are also essential. I want my buildings dark, my subway is darker. Night time outside also. Light from light sources only. I like having to rely on the flashlight. I have a few that enhance difficulty, wasteland survival is a big one. Even at high level you’re not going to be able to take more than one to two bullets before going down. I have a few that slow down experience gain. I also like the ones that add constant to existing areas. Except for diamond city. I’ve tried a few of those but they seem to have conflicts with some of the weather mods. Plus you don’t spend enough time there to make it worth modding. I also have radio mods for WRVR, Cadillac jack, and galaxy news radio. Those are all really well done. I’ve got one that adds a new area to the map but I never did find it. I can’t remember where the entrance is and I did never looked it up. Maybe this time. Other than that I have a few of the immersion mods that enhance the atmosphere and add a little details to the game.

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Im glad you didnt ask me that question, Im a serious Mod groupie for  most games but particularly Bethesda games 

I use Vortex the Nexus mod manager and for FO4 I had about 240 mods loaded, the maximum in Vortex is 255 apparently but  I was reading now about one guy using 926 mods in Skyrim SSE !!!

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/8972413-vortex-maximum-mod-limit/

Woah.  You two are balls deep in mods.  I'm surprised the game even loads 😆  I tend to keep mine super light, mostly fixes and a few dozen handmade gameplay tweaks.  Years of crashy Bethesda games have literally traumatised me.

Talking of Beantown Interiors, I once helped the author with his New Vegas mod.  I spent about a fortnight fixing up all the spelling errors and lore inconsistencies in his notes and terminal entries.  The bugger never used them though.

Edited by WDeranged
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, WDeranged said:

Woah.  You two are balls deep in mods.  I'm surprised the game even loads 😆  I tend to keep mine super light, mostly fixes and a few dozen handmade gameplay tweaks.  Years of crashy Bethesda games have literally traumatised me.

Talking of Beantown Interiors, I once helped the author with his New Vegas mod.  I spent about a fortnight fixing up all the spelling errors and lore inconsistencies in his notes and terminal entries.  The bugger never used them though.

That’s very cool. I never knew that. That has been one of the best efforts in fallout three, new Vegas and four. Since you were part of that you get a Nuka Cola from me!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I'm no doctor, and I don't know how much a doctor this doctor is, but I tell you what - it's irritated me that everything *is* focused on measuring blood sugar levels, not insulin levels, they *did* tell me to eat a lot of small meals, and told me to eat whole-grain bread, and that they were utterly terrible at explaining or detailing the condition, only wanting to call me an alcoholic or fried chicken binger and put me on heart meds and...y'know, drug pushers. I've been largely going low carb/low-fat.  Maybe it's time to try full blown Keto instead.  Also, the guy has this other video I watched which makes me want to tell hubby to stop eating all those canned soups that he almost lives on.  >.>

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Also, the guy has this other video I watched which makes me want to tell hubby to stop eating all those canned soups that he almost lives on.  >.>

didn't watch the video, but canned soup is ridiculous high in sodium. if your spouse has any kinda heart issues, avoid canned soups is probable the smart option.

make soup is ez and it saves well. not need to be a whiz in the kitchen to make fantastic soup. however, as 'tween emptying a can into a pot, perhaps adding a bit o' water and then making hot, homemade soup is far more time consuming.

*shrug*

low sodium and heart healthy monastery lentils is filling and delicious. a quick look with google produced a recipe almost identical to the one we posted here sometime in the past. technical not soup, but is close enough not to matter.

if your spouse likes split pea soup, then such might be a good start 'cause unlike other beans or peas there is no pre soak and typical split pea soup requires few ingredients. maybe even speed up cook time 'w/o needing long slow simmer by using bacon instead o' ham bone. downside to bacon or ham is 'course the salt, so need be careful with how much you add. a ham bone recipe, with only a bit o' ham added will produce good flavour with little added sodium.

any soup, as is mostly water, will freeze almost indefinite. make a gallon o' soup and freeze in quart sized containers which you defrost as needed. spend a saturday making three different soups and you likely got a month or two worth o' meals... if you have the freezer space.

good stock is key. wanna keep low sodium then make your own stock. super market or costco rotisserie chickens is maybe not on Gromnir's shopping list, but they is popular. 'stead o' throwing out the carcass, make stock in anticipation o' your soup day. 

canned soups, eve reduced sodium varieties, is ordinary very high in sodium. we have literal gallons o' homemade soup in our freezer at any given time, 'cause we like soup, but if we had any heart concerns we would most assured avoid canned soup and go homemade instead. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've known hubby for 36 or so years and in all that time the only thing he ever "cooks" are:  hot dogs, fried eggs, frozen burritos, boxed mac and cheese, canned soups (he'll sometimes put a bit of fresh veggies in), processed meat+sharp cheddar sandwiches, rarely oatmeal or pancakes, and occasionally BBQ or broiled burgers/bratwursts.  If one is feeling kind, one could include his home canned pickles, jalapenos and sauerkraut.  Basically, he does not cook. Just that type.

His health "numbers" are so far always relatively decent so he just rocks along.  But he's getting old now, so I worry a bit. Up to him in the long run, tho.

Also, it wasn't the salt in canned soups that bothered me, it was all the other stuff, like "enriched" anything, yeast extract, modified corn starch, sodium phosphate, isolates, etc.  I'm sure it's ok now and again but the past year or so he eats it every day, is all.

you are so odd sometimes. yeast extract, if it poses any known and measurable health problems, is 'cause o' the salt. and is nowhere near enough sodium phosphate in a can o' soup to cause problems unless your husband is actual an infant. you are married to a guy who is getting older and you are nevertheless unconcerned with his apparent high sodium diet, but the yeast extract (not the salt it brings to the table) and sodium phosphate has you concerned enough that you is considering warning your significant other away from canned soup. 

*shrug*

am recalling not so long past one o' our predictable science-challenged boardies expressed reservations 'bout the deaths attributed to covid 'cause so many o' those dying had comorbidities and were old. duh. exercise and eat healthy every day o' your life, but as you get older, chances increase dramatic that you will have some kinda health problem, which will no doubt make you more susceptible to other health problems. am not having been married, but traditional wedding vows mentions "in sickness and in health," no? is a good chance your husband's health problems (if any) becomes your problems one way or another.

regardless, homemade lets one control whatever goes in a recipe. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

you are so odd sometimes.

I thought it was pretty much all the time.  🤣

And it's not that I'm unconcerned about his diet at all, but ... well, we are who we are, not important.

Anyway, I said it was because I watched a video. Guy was talking about ... well, never mind. Y'know, it's like when you see some video with a financial guy telling you some gloomy prediction but re: a common cycle.  Or reading wiki articles on diseases and suddenly you're a hypochondriac for a day. Just a reminder of something you already know and for 15 minutes you're staring at labels cluckclucking and the next day you're all "pfft whatever, YOLO!" again. 

Edited by LadyCrimson

9 hours ago, WDeranged said:

The Vortex mod manager is designed with its own analysis tools and tracking of Mod conflicts which is the primary  reason you get games crashing due to wayward Mods like you experienced

So the entire experience of too many Mods and what Mods will work is reduced and allows you to load hundreds of Mods if you so desire

But you still need to do the following which is critical to overall gaming stability 

• Make sure you learn how Vortex works and how to use its own analysis tools, their are videos that go into detail around this on the Nexus website 
  • Read the Mod descriptions and only apply Mods that dont create potential crashes with other Mods or not necessary because other Mods give the same functionality

John Milton 

Found a dead cat in my front yard this morning. I've seen a couple of dead squirrels and a small rabbit or two but I don't know what's big enough to shred a decent sized housecat around these parts. My guesses are a really big bird, coyotes, and satanic cult.

• Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

coyotes, owls and rattlesnakes is the most common non vehicular direct slayers o' felines in our neck o' the woods, but a dvm friend o' ours informed us that while it were not shocking to have a cat dispatched by one o' the aforementioned, the far more common source o' feline death were rodents-- diseased rodents spreading whatever contagion they might be suffering from to their would be feline predator. am suspecting it becomes kinda difficult for a lay person to know whether disease killed sylvester before the coyotes and vultures arrived.

not exactly disney "circle of life" material, eh?

our doctor o' veterinary medicine friend kinda convinced us w/o trying to keep all future cat pets indoors. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps we also discovered you don't need a particular big owl to take out a cat neither. a few o' those birds is disproportionate powerful for their size and they will kill prey which seeming outsize 'em even if their most common food is small rodents n' such. don't mess with the owls.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

Got some entertainment on my walk, watching two homeless guys threaten to beat each other up for about 4-5 minutes.  Probably still doing it, always good to see an Internet argument offline.

Edited by Malcador

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Got some entertainment on my walk, watching two homeless guys threaten to beat each other up for about 4-5 minutes.  Probably still doing it, always good to see an Internet argument offline.

:lol:, ah yes. One of the advantages of living in a country with very little crime...homeless violence is entertaining

I envy you 

John Milton 

I’ve got some company coming today. My brother and his wife are spending the night. You know in 14 years they’ve never visited my house? I’ve been to see them three times in that time. Well I do live pretty far away from them. They’re driving up to St Louis to visit her family. My brother and I are not particularly close. No reason for that really we just fell out of touch. But it will be good to see him. Since our parents passed away we’ve barely spoken.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

10 hours ago, BruceVC said:

:lol:, ah yes. One of the advantages of living in a country with very little crime...homeless violence is entertaining

I envy you 

I am not sure I would consider it violence, just cussing at each other on loop.  Crime is up in Toronto, or so it seems, weird stuff like machete attacks in a fairly busy intersection, etc.  Don't think it is that bad but people are already back to wanting carding and all that good show of authority to get their justice boners off.

• Thanks 1