What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

So a station wagon then.

I wholehearedly recommend the Volvo 145/245/745 or 940.

If you're worried about having trouble reaching the rear door, I can point you to a Volvo Duett, the doors hinge to the sides

Volvo has the solution.

Volvo is life.

😛

I would definitely go for the 950.

Edited by Sarex
  • Haha 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

i got me a M.2 SSD and it was a major pain to install it on my pc. this disk, in case someone doesn't know, needs to be inserted in the slot on one side and then held in place with a screw on the other side. the problem was that i had no screw that would fit because the hole was not the same size as every other hole in the pc and it needed a thinner screw. in the end i had to cannibalize the GPU. i took out one of the screws that held the backplate and it fortunately fit. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

6 hours ago, Sarex said:

I would definitely go for the 950.

I'm going to go off on a bit of a tangent here, but I'm seriously considering building one, if one were to play by the old rules of Volvos model numbering series/cylinders/doors, I want to put the Volvo 850 turbo engine in and registering it as a Volvo 954 😛

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

How Volvo has changed over the years… I still remember how in the 70’s and 80’s it was considered the civilian version of APC’s 😂

(Both Volvo and Saab ended up making nice looking cars mind you)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm eligible for government healthcare even though I am currently still on unemployment.  Some of these plans are actually pretty good.  Now I can get my drugs and also got a hot doctor lined up (which I hand picked lol).  Not a bad deal!

The U.S. has tons of problems but it's medical community is quite good I must say, despite bad health insurance policies (I got lucky on being eligible).

Insomnia is a bitch. Just saying 

• Sad 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

How Volvo has changed over the years… I still remember how in the 70’s and 80’s it was considered the civilian version of APC’s 😂

(Both Volvo and Saab ended up making nice looking cars mind you)

I will freely admit that Saabs look better generally speaking compared to Volvo, I prefer the looks of Volvo though. To be fair, Volvo made tanks up until 1999 when they sold to Ford. =(

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

20 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

20210622_194504.jpg

20210622_194525.jpg

The future has arrived. This thing is super fun to drive. It also pees h2o.

I imagine it’s pretty quiet too

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

16 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Whats a hydrogen "fill up" cost?

That's a bit complicated. The tank holds 5.6 kg. The average price seems to be $16.51 per kg at the limited stations available today. A full tank is supposed to get you about 400 miles, so it could be pretty pricey. But hydrogen prices are supposed to drop way down as the infrastructure expands, so hopefully that is a temporary concern.

The cheeky answer is it costs me nothing. Toyota gives you a $15k hydrogen card with purchase, so they are basically covering the first 3 years of fuel costs. They also covered the first 3 years of maintenance. I have to take it in every 6 months so they can run diagnostics, but it shouldn't cost me out of pocket for awhile. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

That sounds like a good package. Google teels me the MSRP of the Miria is $50495, did you pay in that ball park?

EDIT: Also, do you get a tax credit for hydrogen vehicles?

I paid $44k ($59k - $15k manufactures rebate.) I had $7k in trade in value, so ended up financing $37k. The financing is at a 0% interest rate for 6 years though, so that was a huge factor for me.

There is an $8k tax credit for federal and $4.5k California tax credit, so that helps a ton too. With the $15k gas card, that brings the cost down quite a bit. If I do some mental gymnastics, I can convince myself I got a pretty killer deal on it. :p

In reality I'll save some money on gas and maintenance, but still have about a $500 payment on the vehicle every month. Which doesn't seem too bad for the first luxury car I've ever owned. It feels like a Lexus.

• Like 4

On 6/22/2021 at 11:36 AM, Azdeus said:

So a station wagon then.

But I've been driving a station wagon (a pretty decent station wagon, but...) for 23 years.  And I bought that largely because I can't drive hubby's van so we needed a "family" vehicle, plus his van is too tall for certain parking towers he has to go, so then he takes mine.  😐  I would like something a little smaller (the 70's Toyota 2-dr hatches did at least do ok for cat-height carriers) but ... SUV "crossovers" are dominant everywhere.

...if hubby insists on keeping that van I can't drive, maybe I'll just buy a third car.  One that hubby physically can't drive.  :shifty:

@Hurlsnot Nice!  I like the interior dash setup, too. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Last question, and you may not have even done it yet, but how long does it take to fill the tank? Just a few minutes like gasoline?

I haven't done it, but it is supposed to be about 5 minutes. It is supposed to be similar to filling a propane tank, but I think they've improved the pump design somewhat. Still gets cold apparently, so hopefully it doesn't freeze over.

Ask as many questions as you'd like. Trying to answer them is helping me understand the car. :)

Edited by Hurlsnot

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Was wondering how many stations there were - https://cafcp.org/stationmap

Cool though.

Yeah that's why I'm not interested in such unless it's to be a 3rd car.  I mean I know they're (currently) meant for around town/commuting, but I need a car that can also be trip-driven across the US or through long windy mountains if I wanted, not just metro. I think electric is getting closer but still...

By the time charging stations are as total widespread as gas stations are/were, I'll probably be like the old man in Cocoon trying to read DMV letters to keep their license.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

We are/were the types who would go into mountains taking extra gas in cans just in case, because we've run out of gas a few times in the middle of some gravel road and will never let that happen again. >.>  Now, admittedly we are unlikely to do that these days and even less likely after another 10-15 years, so perhaps at that point if I'm still even driving (hah) I'd consider one then. 

Also, there's also stuff like this:  :lol:

https://www.newsweek.com/california-facing-power-crisis-frets-over-electric-car-charging-routines-1602755

eg, yes we need to lower pollution but there's going to be consequences and issues with any option.
I'm still far more concerned with water usage.  And I don't mean taking a shower, but industry.  Look up how much water is used for most of industry (including clothes/textiles and tech) and then think about the throw-away/upgrade every year type culture marketers are encouraging. It's horrifying.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

Speaking of water ... California is again drought ridden.  Although we personally haven't noticed any local resident specific use changes, we might before too long (some already have ofc).

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/23/weather/california-drought-satellite-images/index.html

Water in a key Northern California reservoir -- Lake Oroville -- is expected to fall so low this summer that its hydroelectric power plant will likely be forced to shut down for the first time since it opened in 1967.

...it takes about 2000-3000 gallons for ... a pair of jeans. Supposedly around 30-35 gallons of water to produce all the ingredients to make a cup of coffee. Not that there isn't hope - industries are starting to make changes. Agriculture is still the big one tho, especially re: less developed countries.
...cut the population in half, that might help.  :p  Or stop trying to make utopia's in the deserts.

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Speaking of water ... California is again drought ridden.  Although we personally haven't noticed any local resident specific use changes, we might before too long (some already have ofc).

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/23/weather/california-drought-satellite-images/index.html

Water in a key Northern California reservoir -- Lake Oroville -- is expected to fall so low this summer that its hydroelectric power plant will likely be forced to shut down for the first time since it opened in 1967.

...it takes about 2000-3000 gallons for ... a pair of jeans. Supposedly around 30-35 gallons of water to produce all the ingredients to make a cup of coffee. Not that there isn't hope - industries are starting to make changes. Agriculture is still the big one tho, especially re: less developed countries.
...cut the population in half, that might help.  :p  Or stop trying to make utopia's in the deserts.

Places like Los Angeles comes with a built in corrective measure... it's not a question of if, it's a question of *when* the San Andreas fault wipes the slate clean, so new people can move to California and build new houses on top of the ruins of the old 😁

Eventually got myself registered on the QLD Health website with all my details, lining up for Covid vaccination. Now I just need the government to find a vaccine I suppose 🤔

Also booked an appointment this weekend for a whooping cough vaccination jab. No, I'm not worried about getting a bad cough, but I do have some good friends expecting a baby in about a months time, I think I owe it to them not being a health hazard to their newborn.

Gorth 2021...

voodoo-doll-needles-isolated-white-backg

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein