What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

Just got back from the vet with Sunny. Her bloodwork is off again. Have to increase the medicine dosage. But she still acting healthy and happy and has a great appetite so makes me happy. She took a long drink of water and is now crashed out on her bed by the window. I think she’s got the right idea. I’m going to stretch out on the couch with a book.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Fed up being "held hostage" re: needles/hospital.  Looked on Amazon again, there are options now.  Last time I looked (months ago) there was nothing, maybe covid had people stocking up or something.  The brand the hospital gives me (and some others I looked at) apparently cannot ship to California, but some could (no clue why the difference).  Nothing ventured, nothing gained and even if there's an occasional defective syringe out of the 100/box, at least you have some/more than hospital wants to dole out (or if the hospital messes up their refill records....).

I mean, c'mon, what if there's a sci-fi apoc. and hospitals are gone? I need at least 1 year of syringes in my doomsday bunker just in case.  After that stored insulin would be rare/not-viable - but I'd want the chance to live for that extra year, darnit!  :- 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Grey day here on the Prairies. Walk to work was complemented with rain gear and umbrella ... just in case! Looking forward to a Pathfinder 1.0 session this evening!

• Like 4

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I finished building a deck in the backyard. I spent a couple months trying to harvest pallets for wood, but I finally broke down and bought a couple hundred dollars worth of 8-foot pieces. I blew the budget a bit, but still ended up keeping the project around $350. 

196509985_10220448395304631_783096465484

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Been looking at getting another job and maybe moving to Austin. Looks like rent will be a bit more expensive but otherwise not much of a change.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

23 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

I finished building a deck in the backyard. I spent a couple months trying to harvest pallets for wood, but I finally broke down and bought a couple hundred dollars worth of 8-foot pieces. I blew the budget a bit, but still ended up keeping the project around $350. 

196509985_10220448395304631_783096465484

That deck is looking great! Very nice work sir.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Thanks 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

New Outer Words? That is very cool. Well I haven’t actually played the first one but everybody said it was very  good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

Adjusting to the week.

End of project was last Friday, so tis now my long weekend. As in, I completed my exit interview, returned my IT gear, and am now out of a job for the current moment.

Since I haven't really been able to take more than a couple of Fridays off in the last 6 months due to the workload, I'm pretty much planning on chilling and vegetating for a month before actually getting back on the job-hunting thing.

My monday of utter relaxation was disrupted by the need to clear a whole chunk of stuff in the garage out to gain access to my mother's old mobility scooter. A friend's uncle has been diagnosed with late stage pancreatic cancer, so I cleaned that up and let them borrow it.

Now I'm plotting out assorted games, books, and tv shows that have stacked up while i was working that I do mean to spend hours catching up on....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Two things:

1 - Hubby took this week off, so we were going to go up to Sacramento to look at a couple houses. Hotel reservation and everything. Then my car started to act wonky.  Long story short we turned around and went home.  We'll have someone look at it but I think it's about time for a new car. Mine is still low miles but many things can go 'bad' after years and years and years and it's not a car I love so much I care to spend lots fixing all those things.  Anyway, maybe it's a sign the cosmos doesn't want us to buy in Sacramento.  🤣 

2 - I did cut my hair even shorter.  But it's still so uneven - that is, from certain angles/light it looks like balder spots vs. darker spots - so I'm still tempted to actually shave it. Then again I'm just being nitpicky and it's still short enough once it gets to be a few inches I probably wouldn't notice the slight uneven-ness then.  >.>   Regardless, while I've had "normal" short-ish hair many times. this level of "short" makes me observe a few things:

--open car windows are now great! ... because your hair no longer flies around everywhere in the wind
--my head is too cold in the morning/it makes me feel chilly. I don't like that. But ...
--hats fit/are more comfy and stay on the head 1000% better with essentially no hair.  My hair is too slippery or something and hats have always hated that/always fell off within 5-10 minutes.  Knit caps now stay put and are fantastic! 

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

it's about time for a new car.

April article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/shortage-of-new-cars-expected-to-last-at-least-a-few-months/ar-BB1gabbR

“When COVID hit manufactures weren’t sure how many cars they should produce everybody wasn’t sure what to expect, so they produced less than they probably should have,” said Hanson “The second thing is we have a microchip shortage going on that’s affecting all manufacturers, in a Subaru, there is 17 or 18 of those microchips in every single car they produce.”  [ ... ]

“It’s really getting hard to get more cars, they say by June we may be close to empty,” said Mike Wendt, owner of Empire Auto Sales.

So is this going to feel like the gpu shortage?  😑
...remember when cars (and lots of other things) didn't "need" microchips? Can we go back to those days? 😐

Access point acting screwy, 2.4 Ghz band goes down and I have to hear every member of my family yell at me over it.  Think the AP's busted, buying a new one - the company is allowing me to expense networking stuff so that's ok.  A bit disappointed with Ubiquiti after 2 years of use, their support sucks and the hardware has been dodgy.   I think this may be a firmware issue as well, which is another sore point.

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Malcador said:

Access point acting screwy, 2.4 Ghz band goes down and I have to hear every member of my family yell at me over it.  Think the AP's busted, buying a new one - the company is allowing me to expense networking stuff so that's ok.  A bit disappointed with Ubiquiti after 2 years of use, their support sucks and the hardware has been dodgy.   I think this may be a firmware issue as well, which is another sore point.

And I heard nothing but praises for them... If it's any consolation I used D-Link and TP-Link and had them die in 2-3 years too (I did screw with the D-Link and installed third party firmware on it). I also got an Asus for my family and what I like about them is that they don't gate their firmware updates for different hardware revisions, ie. each hardware revision gets it's own firmware update. I got screwed with TP-Link and got a v2 version of it's router when there was already v4 or v5 out there.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Got up early to take delivery of a fancy new microwave/oven/grill thingy.  I've done without one for most of my adult life so it's a brave new world.  Spent the next few hours rearranging the kitchen and having a general tidy up.

Now it's huge cup of tea and slack pants time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WDeranged said:

Got up early to take delivery of a fancy new microwave/oven/grill thingy.  I've done without one for most of my adult life so it's a brave new world.  Spent the next few hours rearranging the kitchen and having a general tidy up.

Now it's huge cup of tea and slack pants time.

Nice, when do  I get my invite for a barbeque?

I am available  this weekend 🥩

Edited by BruceVC
  • Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Nice, when I get my invite for a barbeque?

I am available  this weekend 🥩

Chances are this will be used to reheat cups of tea for the next few years so I'll pencil you in somewhere around 2025.

• Haha 1

Just now, WDeranged said:

Chances are this will be used to reheat cups of tea for the next few years so I'll pencil you in somewhere around 2025.

You promise, I can trust you right...I am going to add it to my calendar now. I love barbeque culture. Nothing better than meat and alcohol  :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sort of funny at work, trying to hunt down why a change was done so am reviewing changelists done by developers.  The female ones document the CL, comment in the code why they do things and keep things simple, the male ones mostly do the exact opposite - the best "testing" sheet is the guy randomly pasting in table results which explains nothing at all. :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Sort of funny at work, trying to hunt down why a change was done so am reviewing changelists done by developers.  The female ones document the CL, comment in the code why they do things and keep things simple, the male ones mostly do the exact opposite - the best "testing" sheet is the guy randomly pasting in table results which explains nothing at all. :lol:

Interesting observation and something I have seen as well with developers. Not all the time but sometimes, women are more disciplined and follow the correct procedures more than men but men are better overall developers, again not all the time but often. And to be honest most of the time I would rather work with people who follow procedures and the structures correctly than work with  brilliant coders but lack the interest in  being part of the structure 

But the companies I have worked for and especially in the financial sector their are normally men who make up about 80 % of the total numbers of developers and women the rest 

What is the overall ratio  like in Canada, is it different?

John Milton 

Thing is, there are NO procedures so the developers that did the right thing did it for their own reasons. Also makes sense why the good ones are all gone now :lol:

• Thanks 1

Woke up last night from something new, a major cramp in my right teardrop muscle. Just like everyone else, I every now and then get a cramp in my calves, but those hurt a bit and go away after a bit of walking and some massage. Holy crap, that one lasted a while and caused immense pain. Still feels sore after almost a full day.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 2
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I have had the enjoyable space to watch the thermometer rise to 36C then drop to 17C over 36 hours ... life on the Canadian Prairies is always in motion ... 

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: