What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

On 6/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, Chilloutman said:

I think I actually got a GF.

A 3060  or 3080 ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Typical day:

"Where are my glasses?"
"On the table."
"Where are my glasses?"
"Hanging from your shirt."
"On your head.  In the bathroom. On the kitchen counter. On the bedcovers." etc.

Today:

"Where are my glasses? I had them like 20 minutes ago at the PC."
*looks everywhere, including floors, washer, shelves, couches*
Hubby: "Oh you did you find them?"
Me: "No, these are my other (newer/stronger) glasses. I lost/want my other other (older, weaker) glasses." 
*still have no idea where they went*

This is what happens when you're near-sighted and wear glasses for that, then get old and constantly take them off in order to read.   :(

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

This is what happens when you're near-sighted and wear glasses for that, then get old and constantly take them off in order to read.   :(

My eyesight is so bad, I need glasses for reading stuff that is more than 20cm away, so I have two pairs of glasses. One for indoor (close range, sitting at screen, reading, cooking, whatever) and outdoors (reading road signs, recognizing buildings etc.) 😎

(No, I don't actually have a pair of sunglasses)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

My eyesight is so bad, I need glasses for reading stuff that is more than 20cm away, so I have two pairs of glasses. One for indoor (close range, sitting at screen, reading, cooking, whatever) and outdoors (reading road signs, recognizing buildings etc.)

Yeah...it sucks. I'm in bifocal territory but I refuse to wear those because I don't like if you're walking around the bifocal spot is blurry.  And what's the point in distance-vision contact lenses if you then have to still carry reading glasses all the time (like normal not-near-sighted people). So it's peer over your "regular" glasses or tossing them aside for longer close-up tasks.

Hence I misplace them constantly. :lol:  I've tried using a chain but having them dangle from your neck invariably gets in the way of you doing something too often and you toss them aside anyway. Plus chains get caught in my hair ... well, not at the moment but ...

🧐

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There was a snake in the kitchen this morning just doing snake things. He must have been in the house since at least Sunday because we were in the yard most of the day and the door was wide open most of the time

I had to take him back outside but it's all good because we are friends now. He runs a Harry and the Hendersons fan site so you know he's a quality dude

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

6 hours ago, ShadySands said:

There was a snake in the kitchen this morning just doing snake things. He must have been in the house since at least Sunday because we were in the yard most of the day and the door was wide open most of the time

I had to take him back outside but it's all good because we are friends now. He runs a Harry and the Hendersons fan site so you know he's a quality dude

I'd have burned the house down...

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

90F all day, in New England, and it's not even summer yet, and had a surprise massive cleaning project I had to complete today out of ALL days.  Uhg.

Watch tomorrow it'll be 60 all day, cause that's how f'd up the weather is here, and climate change doesn't help either.

Edited by ComradeYellow

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I'd have burned the house down...

Australian immigration authorities might decide to deny you any visitors visa 😂

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Australian immigration authorities might decide to deny you any visitors visa 😂

I'd have glassed the entire continent! :p🤣

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

If my mother had seen a snake in the house she would have screamed and passed out. She wasn't afraid of much, but snakes were her major freak-out thing. I pulled this quick prank on her once as a wee kid with a jointed wooden snake toy and ... well, she did not appreciate it.   :lol:

Edit: also, there are plenty of on-paper attractive moderate homes in Sac, but I'm not sure I like the non-residential/shopping areas and other aspects there. Then again as I've said before I rarely leave the house anyway. But I have a feeling we'd be better off/happier just selling the Bay house in 10 years and buying/moving somewhere else cheap instead.  Maybe next door to Keyrock.  :shifty: 

eh, thinking about where to live in old age is tiring. I'll just plan to die before we have to think about that too seriously. Problem solved.

Edited by LadyCrimson

A few years ago I investigated mortgaging one of my properties to have a house constructed on it to increase its value. The total cost would’ve been about $90,000 for a modest 3br 2b 900-1050 square foot home. I’ve picked that idea up again recently only with all the damned COVID-19 related shortages The cost is now closer to $150,000. Ouch. The lot by itself has to be around $60,000 in value. So the break even point of sale would be around $210,000 assuming.  That would put it well above the median home price in Brownsville Tennessee and probably beyond the reach of most of the potential buyers. Interest rate on a 30 year fixed are still pretty low but that is going to be changing real soon. That’s something that could easily happen during the time it takes to build the house and get it ready for sale. 

I guess the thing to do right now is nothing. Wait a few years and let’s see what happens. Right now that particular lot only cost me $680 a year in taxes and a couple of hours of my time a month for landscape maintenance.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

33 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

A few years ago I investigated mortgaging one of my properties to have a house constructed on it to increase its value. The total cost would’ve been about $90,000 for a modest 3br 2b 900-1050 square foot home. I’ve picked that idea up again recently only with all the damned COVID-19 related shortages The cost is now closer to $150,000. Ouch. The lot by itself has to be around $60,000 in value. So the break even point of sale would be around $210,000 assuming.  That would put it well above the median home price in Brownsville Tennessee and probably beyond the reach of most of the potential buyers. Interest rate on a 30 year fixed are still pretty low but that is going to be changing real soon. That’s something that could easily happen during the time it takes to build the house and get it ready for sale. 

I guess the thing to do right now is nothing. Wait a few years and let’s see what happens. Right now that particular lot only cost me $680 a year in taxes and a couple of hours of my time a month for landscape maintenance.

Good post and  I agree with you about  the risk vs reward of property investments, my family do loads of this type of wealth generation and its normally a  safe type of  long term investment. Note I am not saying short term investment 

You have done your research and identified a real risk, with the increase in property prices its not  worth it at the moment because if you unintentionally price yourself out the local and targeted market then you wont make much money. You may even lose money so waiting maybe 24 months is prudent 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

40 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Good post and  I agree with you about  the risk vs reward of property investments, my family do loads of this type of wealth generation and its normally a  safe type of  long term investment. Note I am not saying short term investment 

You have done your research and identified a real risk, with the increase in property prices its not  worth it at the moment because if you unintentionally price yourself out the local and targeted market then you wont make much money. You may even lose money so waiting maybe 24 months is prudent 

Yes it is definitely a long-term play. I remember watching those TV shows about “flipping houses“. If the market is just right you can get away with something like that but there’s a really excellent chance you’re going to wind up holding a very expensive bag.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Currently refinancing my home right now because the rate they offered me was criminally low and brought my monthly payment down by nearly a grand. In other real estate related news, my tenants renewed for another year and I sold a small piece of land that I acquired in AZ for a hefty profit.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Today I get my first vaccine dose.

• Like 6

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I need 36 8-foot boards to complete my deck. I have been trying to break apart pallets for the wood, and I've completed the foundation and the walkway part, but the large area needs larger pieces and I think I need to bite the bullet and buy them. 

Also, it is my first day of summer break, so I want to get this project done so I can enjoy the backyard.

I ended up having a weekend of debauchery which ended in either a kidney stone or a bladder infection.  I've had the luxury of not having to leave the house but now I have to take my car to the garage. 

Think I'll go grab a pizza on the way...

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Currently refinancing my home right now because the rate they offered me was criminally low and brought my monthly payment down by nearly a grand. In other real estate related news, my tenants renewed for another year and I sold a small piece of land that I acquired in AZ for a hefty profit.

Shady I am shocked you are embracing the  meretricious allure of the Capitalist system ....what are you doing !!! Dont you know the path you on leads to one thing only...white, male privlidege

Are you prepared for the burden that brings .... :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Got a cool nurse, she actually knew what I referenced when I said "My vision is augmented".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to order more needle syringes. have 20 syringes remaining.  Note: I only have that many remaining because I don't inject myself twice a day every day (maybe 75% of the time I do just one per day). 

Thus I feel like there is something badly wrong with this picture. :mellow:

needleordering1.jpg

• Hmmm 1
  • Sad 2

I bought tickets to go see AEW in Charlotte in late July. I'm so excited to see a live rasslin' show again! :dancing:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks