What you've done today - The Edge of Night

Amentep

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Firefox updated today and it looks and feels absolutely horrendous, good lord almighty. Everything is double-spaced for some goshforsaken reason, and the top of my browser where the tabs are is so freaking fat. I hate it so much. It's Opera all over again... Going to have to identify the last version of Firefox that wasn't horrible, save the installer and then always disable auto-updating until they come to their senses or there's an add-on to fix this disgusting display.

(e): Okay, successfully downgraded. It tried to tell me my profile (containing login cookies, bookmarks, extensions, setting customization, etc.) wouldn't be compatible with the old version and generated an entirely new profile, but I found the old profile in AppData and manually overrode it, and it seems like everything's fine. Never thought Firefox of all browsers would be this pants, but here we are... What other browsers besides Firefox and Chrome have the needed extension versatility? Ugh.

Did you lose all your bookmarks? I did.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've been using it for a while as I use Nightly.  Don't really mind it that much, myself.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I've been using it for a while as I use Nightly.  Don't really mind it that much, myself.

I'm VERY sensitive about these sorts of user experience changes. I stuck with Old!Opera (before they switched the entire back-end from their proprietary Presto to horrid Chromium) for about...3 years after its last update, and the only reason I updated was because literally everything was breaking all of the time and many websites had become straight up unusable due to glitches and styling issues and such. I had to switch to Firefox at that point. It ended up being for the best due to the necessity of better extensions anyways, but it was still sad. ...Which reminds me, I should make a complete backup of my Firefox just to make sure it doesn't try to auto-update my 20 or so extensions and then strip them from me because "they're no longer supported with your old version of Firefox". Bah, humbug.

13 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Did you lose all your bookmarks? I did.

Yes, but I fixed it - it doesn't actually delete your old profile, it just creates a new one and tells you you aren't allowed to open the old one. There's a profiles.ini in AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox that you can re-write to set to the old one, then force Firefox to allow a downgrade via a --allow-downgrade shortcut switch of the Firefox.exe, then re-opening Firefox should allow the old profile to load. (e): Would also suggest creating a backup of that profile...just in case. Also, it occurs to me that you might've meant from the update itself rather than trying to downgrade, so maybe I have the wrong thread of thought entirely here, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

32 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm VERY sensitive about these sorts of user experience changes. I stuck with Old!Opera (before they switched the entire back-end from their proprietary Presto to horrid Chromium) for about...3 years after its last update, and the only reason I updated was because literally everything was breaking all of the time and many websites had become straight up unusable due to glitches and styling issues and such. I had to switch to Firefox at that point. It ended up being for the best due to the necessity of better extensions anyways, but it was still sad. ...Which reminds me, I should make a complete backup of my Firefox just to make sure it doesn't try to auto-update my 20 or so extensions and then strip them from me because "they're no longer supported with your old version of Firefox". Bah, humbug.

Yes, but I fixed it - it doesn't actually delete your old profile, it just creates a new one and tells you you aren't allowed to open the old one. There's a profiles.ini in AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox that you can re-write to set to the old one, then force Firefox to allow a downgrade via a --allow-downgrade shortcut switch of the Firefox.exe, then re-opening Firefox should allow the old profile to load. (e): Would also suggest creating a backup of that profile...just in case. Also, it occurs to me that you might've meant from the update itself rather than trying to downgrade, so maybe I have the wrong thread of thought entirely here, :p.

It was from the upgrade but I found them. You were right it did create a new profile.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

45 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm VERY sensitive about these sorts of user experience changes.

Oh, come on, it's great. Great!

Almost as great as way back when WinAmp 3 came out, or ICQ99b... why... why is everyone always blowing up user interfaces like that? EVERYONE. No matter where you look. Bah.

And yeah, I just started Firefox anew and my brain itches. IT BURRRRRRNS MY PRECIOUS.

Le sigh.

edit:

By the way, I just read that this new Firefox look is there to complement upcoming changes with the latest Windows 10 update. I think I just died a little inside.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Sounds like you people need to fork it. Call it ObsidianFox!

Firefox user groups have people raging about this.  The funny complaints are from some who say this wasn't tested or announced in advance.  Scrubs not on Nightly. 😛

Edited by Malcador
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 minutes ago, majestic said:

Oh, come on, it's great. Great!

Almost as great as way back when WinAmp 3 came out, or ICQ99b... why... why is everyone always blowing up user interfaces like that? EVERYONE. No matter where you look. Bah.

And yeah, I just started Firefox anew and my brain itches. IT BURRRRRRNS MY PRECIOUS.

Le sigh.

Humongous tabs, bad tab highlighting that makes it difficult to tell what tab is currently active without having to look (real important for me as someone that cycles through tabs exclusively with Ctrl+Tab/number), submenus that open by replacing the original menu instead of an actual submenu, white space EVERYWHERE that's shifted literally every single shortcut, setting, bookmark, etc. from where they should be, and everything just looks ugly and oversimplified. No, this just won't do.

(e): I'm also the type of person that still longs for the olden days of 16:10 monitors, which basically don't even exist anymore - please do not waste my precious vertical space with comically oversized tabs or anything of the sort, thank you very much.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

e): I'm also the type of person that still longs for the olden days of 16:10 monitors, which basically don't even exist anymore - please do not waste my precious vertical space with comically oversized tabs or anything of the sort, thank you very much.

Still are some Asus ProArt 16:10's out. Expensive, though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Still are some Asus ProArt 16:10's out. Expensive, though.

I see exactly one ProArt model that's 16:10, which is the 1200p PA248QV. ...Kind of almost want to get it at $200, but the refresh rate is apparently so bad that it's not even particularly good for watching videos, never mind anything besides image-editing, :p.

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I see exactly one ProArt model that's 16:10, which is the 1200p PA248QV. ...Kind of almost want to get it at $200, but the refresh rate is apparently so bad that it's not even particularly good for watching videos, never mind anything besides image-editing, :p.

Ah last time I looked there was a 27" one as well. I have 2 PA248QVs, haven't noticed any real problems when watching videos or gaming but my eyes are poor so may not notice.

Tried using Firefox Colors to make a theme for myself...that didn't end well at all...

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

I get to play my first hockey game today in about a year and a half. There is a bar above the hockey rink, and I was in there the other day while my son played hockey. I asked the bartender if he has enough kegs ready for the adult leagues starting back up on the weekend. I told him the hockey will be ugly after so long away, but the drinking game will be on point. :p

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Fionavar said:

Ran a 15k this morning and now have weekend work Zooms. In between, cleaning up the Elm seeds in the backyard!

I'm pretty certain that I'd be dead after 15 metres, impressive 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

I get to play my first hockey game today in about a year and a half. There is a bar above the hockey rink, and I was in there the other day while my son played hockey. I asked the bartender if he has enough kegs ready for the adult leagues starting back up on the weekend. I told him the hockey will be ugly after so long away, but the drinking game will be on point. :p

The physical condition you’re in those guys don’t have a chance against you! 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I fed the critters, checked the garden, and done a few little jobs. Looks like I’ve got the rest of the day to do nothing. It looks like a good day to sit on the porch, drink iced tea, and catch the ball games on the radio. After that performance yesterday I don’t know if the Marlins will even be willing to show their face on the field.

Thomas Sowell

Finally resting after 4 days of marrying on best friend wedding. I now poop beer and I think I actually got a GF.

• Like 4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

indeed

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Post 1:  Those heron's or egrets are still in the street trees and every day I still hear them constantly, sounding like sick cats.  I finally sat in backyard and tried to take some pictures. Sadly a cheap 270mm zoom isn't quite enough to cover the distance (eg, the bird shots are cropped some). 500mm would be better.  Oh well.  Also, I'm badly out of practice re: the big camera, pfft.

Perspective:  the tree (grey lower right corner is neighbors eave-roof) and one of their nests.  You can barely see the nest, but it's pretty big I suppose.
IMG_7286-A.JPGheronintree-03.jpg

A lot of the time the leaves hide them/can't see them at all from the ground but occasionally the perch visibly.  I have no idea why the back feathers are up - it was only trying to break off a stick.  Maybe it's windy up there.  But I quickly grew bored (and my arms tired) of sitting with a heavy camera glued to my face, waiting for them to "do" anything.  :*
heronintree-00.jpg

heronintree-01.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Post 2: Power tools, rowwarrr!  (that plastic shed had sunshine door-warping issues - cutting rebar to insert into them was hubby's fix)
rebarspark.jpg

Re:  tool etc. sharpening - I guess hubby is becoming impatient serious.  :shifty:  ( j/k, he'll still use the "stones" too)
grinder1.jpg

• Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

38 minutes ago, Fionavar said:

I am good at waddling :)

My good sir, a dragon does not waddle.  A dragon saunters.   :-

• Thanks 1

Donated a bunch of food to the local pantry, and will probably do that on a regular basis.

Least I can do really, the hero of your own story is you so it's better to be more proactive in the community than waiting around.

Edited by ComradeYellow